Approved List of SOPA supporters

Bear

Boycott them, vote with your wallet! SOPA is BAD for everyone. It's
disguised to stop piracy, but it's going to do alot more!
I agree Dustin. This is the biggest threat to freedom I've seen since
I've been on Earth. It's got to stop somewhere...people need to wake up
before we all lose what precious little we have left.

G. Morgan

Dustin said:
Boycott them, vote with your wallet! SOPA is BAD for everyone. It's
disguised to stop piracy, but it's going to do alot more!

If it becomes law I'm giving up all hope for our nation.

Dustin

If it becomes law I'm giving up all hope for our nation.

It seems to be losing out, Some of the supporters aren't supporting it
publically now thanks to the thousands of websites which went offline and
redirected persons to contact their elected officials. :)

Both of those laws are a stopgap measure to allow a small minority total
and complete control of the net. The "lets stop piracy" was the rally cry,
but the law is far more sinister.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Dustin:
thanks to the thousands of websites which went offline and
redirected persons to contact their elected officials. :)

I liked Wikipedia's approach - but now that you have said it a
location-sensitive redirect to one's elected officials would have
been an impressive extra touch.
Both of those laws are a stopgap measure to allow a small minority total
and complete control of the net. The "lets stop piracy" was the rally cry,
but the law is far more sinister.

"The best government that money can buy."

Whoever

bearbottoms1 said:
I agree Dustin. This is the biggest threat to freedom I've seen since
I've been on Earth. It's got to stop somewhere...people need to wake up
before we all lose what precious little we have left.

Then you must not have been on earth for very long. I would say that
the "Patriot Act", the "war on drugs", the Soviet Union in it's heyday,
and McCarthy and his ilk, were all far larger threats to freedom. As far
as "what little we have left", have you ever lived outside of the
western world (US, Canada, Australia and Europe)? If not, I highly
recommend it! Spending a few months living (and by that I do NOT mean
living in a luxury, tourist hotel) in one of the poorer nations in
Africa, Latin America or Asia can be an eye opening experience. Getting
to know some of the locals and talking to them about their hopes,
aspirations and dreams can really be enlightening. It gives you some
perspective to judge things from.

I do agree with it being a very bad law and have contacted my Congress
critters to let them know my opinion. I stop short, however, at amping
up the hyperbole that some have put forth. Personally, I'm tired of the
theatrics on both sides of (seemingly) every issue these days.

That's just my 2 cents worth.... Having said that, I'll return to
lurking and trying to stay out of off-topic discussions.

Bear

Then you must not have been on earth for very long. I would say that
the "Patriot Act",

Not IMO

the "war on drugs",

Close

the Soviet Union in it's heyday,
They would have tried and lost
and McCarthy and his ilk,
Not IMO...this is a direct threat to everyone in the US regarding
changing the Internet forever, probably the single most important medium
man has ever had.

were all far larger threats to freedom. As far
as "what little we have left", have you ever lived outside of the
western world (US, Canada, Australia and Europe)?
Yes. I spent a career traveling and living around the world as an
Airline Pilot and 17 years in the Navy as a Navy Pilot.

If not, I highly
recommend it! Spending a few months living (and by that I do NOT mean
living in a luxury, tourist hotel) in one of the poorer nations in
Africa, Latin America or Asia can be an eye opening experience.
I've lived in all of those places and more and spent many months with
happier people living on dirt floors than anyone in the affluent
neighborhoods in America...open one of those home doors and you hear
nothing.
Getting
to know some of the locals and talking to them about their hopes,
aspirations and dreams can really be enlightening. It gives you some
perspective to judge things from.
I think your experiences there would be dwarfed by my own and your
assumptions would be dashed.
I do agree with it being a very bad law and have contacted my Congress
critters to let them know my opinion. I stop short, however, at amping
up the hyperbole that some have put forth. Personally, I'm tired of the
theatrics on both sides of (seemingly) every issue these days.

This is the greatest threat to freedom man around the world is facing.
That's just my 2 cents worth.... Having said that, I'll return to
lurking and trying to stay out of off-topic discussions.
This IMO is very much on topic for anyone using the Internet and for any
forum.

Bear

From: "Bear" <[email protected]>

| This IMO is very much on topic for anyone using the Internet and for any
| forum.

It is Off Topic subject matter as neither legislation concerns COMSEC
and/or malware.

There are planety of Usenet groups. Find an apropos group and discuss it
there.
I appreciate your concern, though I disagree on this topic.

Virus Guy

Bear said:
I appreciate your concern, though I disagree on this topic.

Dave, if you notice what's happening on the wider web yesterday,
regardless what the focus that any given site has, SOPA is a common
denominator that cuts across all of the internet.

For that reason, it's entirely appropriate to discuss it in any or all
newsgroups - at least during this brief period of protest and public
awareness.

Virus Guy

I said:
Dave, if you notice what's happening on the wider web yesterday,
regardless what the focus that any given site has, SOPA is a common
denominator that cuts across all of the internet.

And don't forget what I posted here back on Dec 5. Apparently one AV
company feels that SOPA is relevant to it's business or market segment.

What is Avira's position on SOPA?

MBAM? Sunbelt?

====================

Subject: Kaspersky is leaving Business Software Alliance over SOPA
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 17:47:01 -0500
From: Virus Guy <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.anti-virus, alt.privacy.spyware

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2130129/kaspersky-leaving-business-software-alliance-sopa

Kaspersky is leaving Business Software Alliance over SOPA
Does not support web site blocking law
By Dave Neal
Mon Dec 05 2011, 14:09

RUSSIAN SECURITY FIRM Kaspersky does not support the US Stop Online
Piracy Act (SOPA) and is withdrawing from the Business Software Alliance
as a result. The decision was revealed in a Russian news web site
report that the firm, which is frustrated with the bill, will leave the
group on 1 January, 2012. CEO Eugene Kaspersky confirmed this in a
message on Twitter.

"Yes, we're leaving BSA because of their support for #SOPA," he said in
a tweet that links through to a report about the firm's plans. "I'll
come out with a blog post re this issue."

We asked Kaspersky for more information about the statement and his
opposition to SOPA, and he told us, "Yes, I do disagree. #SOPA is the
vinyl-era legislation trying to manage the industry that requires a
different approach."

The BSA has already suggested that SOPA needs more work, but only after
it expressed its support for it, and we asked Kaspersky if his decision
takes this into account. He has not replied yet, however.

In late November, when opposition to SOPA came to a head, the Business
Software Alliance withdrew its earlier report and said that it was
reluctant to offer its full support to the bill as it stands and has
called for some changes.

BSA president and CEO Robert Holleyman said the organisation's members
are concerned about the scale of SOPA and the impact that it might have
on innovation.

"Last week, when the Committee held a hearing on SOPA, I listened
carefully to Members' statements and questions as to how this balance
would be achieved. It is evident from what I heard that much work
remains ahead for the Committee, said Holleyman.

"I believe the bill's basic goals should be to promote creativity -
something software and computer companies are very good at - while
deterring bad actors that profit from selling copies of software and
other works they do not own. BSA firmly believes these goals are
compatible and achievable."

The BSA said that valid and important questions had been raised about
the bill, and looked to distance itself from legislation that could
throw a net over anyone that uses the internet.

"Valid and important questions have been raised about the bill. It is
intended to get at the worst of the worst offenders. As it now stands,
however, it could sweep in more than just truly egregious actors," said
Holleyman.

"To fix this problem, definitions of who can be the subject of legal
actions and what remedies are imposed must be tightened and narrowed.
Due process, free speech, and privacy are rights cannot be compromised."

Other firms that are members of the BSA include Microsoft, Adobe, Apple,
Dell, Intel and McAfee. We have asked the BSA to comment on Kaspersky's
statements. µ

Bear

From: "Virus Guy" <[email protected]>

| I just wrote:
|
| | And don't forget what I posted here back on Dec 5. Apparently one AV
| company feels that SOPA is relevant to it's business or market segment.
| | What is Avira's position on SOPA?
| | MBAM? Sunbelt?

MBAM has no corporate stance.
Wow...that's pretty lame. Sorry.

Bear

From: "Virus Guy" <[email protected]>

| I just wrote:
|
| | And don't forget what I posted here back on Dec 5. Apparently one AV
| company feels that SOPA is relevant to it's business or market segment.
| | What is Avira's position on SOPA?
| | MBAM? Sunbelt?

MBAM has no corporate stance.
I was fixing to purchase the program...I think I just changed my mind.

RayLopez99

 Then you must not have been on earth for very long. I would say that
the "Patriot Act", the "war on drugs", the Soviet Union in it's heyday,
and McCarthy and his ilk, were all far larger threats to freedom.

I agree with your tirade up to this point.
As far
as "what little we have left", have you ever lived outside of the
western world (US, Canada, Australia and Europe)? If not, I highly
recommend it! Spending a few months living (and by that I do NOT mean
living in a luxury, tourist hotel) in one of the poorer nations in
Africa, Latin America or Asia can be an eye opening experience. Getting
to know some of the locals and talking to them about their hopes,
aspirations and dreams can really be enlightening. It gives you some
perspective to judge things from.

I live in SE Asia--never mind the IP address you see it's from an
anonymizer--and in some ways, like the proles of Orwell's "1984"--you
get more freedom being under the radar screen. Especially as a
foreigner. You hardly ever get stopped by the police, and nobody
cares about IP protection.

Speaking of which, why is it that copyright violations in the USA are
criminal offenses but patent violations are not? Copyright violations
should not be criminalized--this is wrong. So much grey area exists
in copyright, such as "fair use" and "derivative works" to name a few,
that we cannot have SOPA. And for clear cut violations like wholesale
pirating of movies, we have remedies already, and they should be
enforced in a civil court of law. Let Hollywood sue people and not
have to rely on the coercive power of the state. That's not the free
market, that's basically communism, if you rely on the state to
enforce things rather than impartial third parties.

Just my two cents worth...

RL

RayLopez99

It is Off Topic subject matter as neither legislation concerns COMSEC and/or
malware.

There are planety of Usenet groups.  Find an apropos group and discuss it
there.

Why don't you name some shithead? And quit redefining viruses as
something other than viruses.

RL