    able to go onto the network as well? It will be running Mac OS 8.7

    cheers

    - Kwaj

    jk, Aug 6, 2003

  2. "jk" <> wrote in message
    news:3f30d759$0$23607$...
    > Real quickly - can Mac's be thrown onto a standard ethernet LAN switch??
    > Basically, I've got a bunch of PC's connected to my switch at
    > home...flatmates getting a second hand Mac and I'm wondering if it would

    be
    > able to go onto the network as well? It will be running Mac OS 8.7

    Yep, easiest way would be to get a copy of DAVE. It lets you access Windows
    shares through Chooser, and displays the Mac under Network Neighborhood on
    the PCs.

    Gareth

    Gareth Church, Aug 6, 2003

  3. jk

    MCheu Guest

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 20:24:34 +1000, "jk"
    <> wrote::

    >Real quickly - can Mac's be thrown onto a standard ethernet LAN switch??
    >Basically, I've got a bunch of PC's connected to my switch at
    >home...flatmates getting a second hand Mac and I'm wondering if it would be
    >able to go onto the network as well? It will be running Mac OS 8.7
    >
    >cheers
    >
    >- Kwaj

    Yup. The networking protocols aren't platform specific. If you
    wanted to, you could theoretically link up an iMac, a WindowsXP PC, a
    Linux Machine (oh, let's say running an NEC Alpha Proc to make it
    interesting), and an IBM mainframe on the same network -- assuming
    they're all using the same protocol of course.

    As I don't own a Mac, I can't tell you how hard it will be to set it
    up for networking, but seeing as it takes me all of 10 (maybe 5 if I'm
    in a hurry) to set up a WindowsXP machine, and maybe 30 minutes to do
    it on a Linux machine, I don't see how it can take any more than that
    on a Mac.

    MCheu, Aug 6, 2003
  4. jk

    jk Guest

    OK - worked it out last night. It was actually pretty easy at the end of the
    day.

    Cheers guys

    jk, Aug 7, 2003