    Thanks
    --
    PS

    Guest, Apr 24, 2007

    Poprivet Guest

    psbroggio wrote:
    > Is it true that it takes a LOT of memory when you have applications
    > in your desktop instead of shortcuts? also they do not backup if you
    > use a backup system?
    >
    > Thanks

    No, it is not true. The Desktop is just a folder display of the contents of
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop folder. Any files in that folder
    show up on the desktop. You can set any folder to display on the desktop if
    you knew how.

    It's only an icon that has to be drawn, so whether it's a shortcut or
    something else makes no perceptible difference in a clean running machine.

    It uses a negligible amount of memory eithe way.

    As for backup, ANY backup program would back them up; it's just a folder.

    Put your source for that info on the "suspect" list. <g>

    HTH
    Pop`

    Poprivet, Apr 24, 2007

    Gordon Guest

    "psbroggio" <> wrote in message
    > Is it true that it takes a LOT of memory when you have applications in
    > your
    > desktop instead of shortcuts?

    Not memory, disk space. And no, no more space than if they are where they
    are meant to be. (I've never heard of anyone installing applications to the
    desktop - why would anyone WANT to?) The main problem with keeping DATA on
    the desk top is that it is prone to corruption.

    Gordon, Apr 24, 2007

    Thank you Gordon, my employees tend to put all their files and applications
    in their desktops instead of creating shortcuts, for some reason I thought
    this would slow their machine and take up a lot of memory, so I guess I was
    wrong?

    Thanks!
    --
    PS

    Guest, Apr 25, 2007

    Gordon Guest

    "psbroggio" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you Gordon, my employees tend to put all their files and
    > applications
    > in their desktops instead of creating shortcuts, for some reason I thought
    > this would slow their machine and take up a lot of memory, so I guess I
    > was
    > wrong?

    When you say "applications" do you mean to say that they actually INSTALL
    PROGRAMS to the desktop, rather than to the normal location which is
    C:/Programs ? I suggest you implement some sort of lock-down so that they
    either cannot install programs at all (do you have any control over what
    they DO install?) or that they are constrained to install to the default
    location, which is NOT the desktop.

    Gordon, Apr 25, 2007

    Thanks again for your quick reply. My employees actually install programs
    into their desktop and they move their "My documents" folder to their desktop
    as well as Excel, Word files etc. etc. this is why I'm thinking their
    computers are slowing down because they use the "temporary" or "virtual"
    desktop memory when they have all of this stuff in their individual desktops.
    I want to create some kind of memo asking them to stop doing this but I want
    to make sure that this activity is actually affecting the performance of
    their computers.

    Thanks again!
    --
    PS