    I don't need to edit, only view..
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Oct 19, 2012

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    VanguardLH Guest

    "PeteCresswell" wrote:

    > Outline Processor Markup Language...
    >
    > Got a lot of Google hits, but there's too much noise.

    It seems you did not create this file but someone else gave it to you.
    So why not ask them what they use?

    > Tried one from http://home.opml.org/ but it doesn't measure up.

    Sorry, no idea what "doesn't measure up" means regarding what features
    or behavior you expected but found absent.

    > Has anybody got something that works for them?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPML mentions a couple viewers, like:

    Mozilla Thunderbird
    Google Reader

    It's been too long since I last trialed Thunderbird. You can ask in its
    newsgroup which Mozilla's NNTP server carries (news.mozilla.org). As
    for readers, I've never been interested in being deluged with miscellany
    so I've never bothered with RSS or readers and apps that support it.
    Some folks aren't happy about Google's changes to their Reader; see
    http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/alternatives_to_google_reader.php.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5308482_import-feeds-opml-google-reader.html
    says how to import an .opml file into Google Reader.

    If you're using Firefox as your web browser, there is an OPML extension
    for it. I don't use either to comment on them.

    From a Google search on "OPML reader", 5th hit in results was
    http://www.zimbio.com/OPML+Readers.

    From a search on "opml" at sourceforge.net, found a project page with a
    link to the project's own web site at http://opml.sourceforge.net/.

    VanguardLH, Oct 19, 2012

  3. Per VanguardLH:

    >From a Google search on "OPML reader", 5th hit in results was
    >http://www.zimbio.com/OPML+Readers.
    >
    >From a search on "opml" at sourceforge.net, found a project page with a
    >link to the project's own web site at http://opml.sourceforge.net/.

    Those are examples of what I meant by "Noise".

    Zimbio has 10 listings - none of which look useful.

    SourceForge just has an empty entry.

    Last few years it seems like there has been a proliferation of
    useless computer-generated web pages that are structured to come
    up on hit lists when somebody Googles for something - but which
    were not created or maintained by anybody... just the
    application that generated them.

    There's probably a term of art for that... but I don't know it.

    OPML seems tb worse than most bc it appears to relate to RSS
    feeds and some other online activities - as opposed to just
    opening a local file.

    So I figured I'd just cut to the chase and see if anybody had
    something that actually worked for them.
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Oct 19, 2012