Windows XP Anyone used 'Remote Assistance' in XP?

Reaction score
I get quite a few calls from family and friends with PC problems, and often struggle to help them over the phone. I only just discovered the 'Remote Assistance' feature in XP's 'Help and Support' options, and wondered if anyone's had any experience of it - either as the one providing the support or the one requesting it.

As far as I can see, it allows the helper to connect remotely and access the other persons system as if it were their own.

Sounds cool...but is it any good?

:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
After you take control, you can work on the remote computer, using the mouse and keyboard as normal, to help the other person.
Del *.*

... does not work. :D

... Windows Messenger must be installed on both computers. :roll:

If using an 'email' ... you must relay the password to your friend, coworker, or support professional in a separate communication such as a phone call or e–mail.

Bring it in, I'll fix it Jim. 8)

Reaction score
I actually tried it last night - I especially like the button that offers you the option to ''Take control of the novice's computer''...gives one a real sense of superiority!8)

It worked pretty well...certainly better than trying to imagine what's on screen and talk them through various routines over the phone. My main concern is that MS seem to have turned a clear hacking route into another facility...the security issues make the mind boggle.

:confused:

Reaction score
I have used it adn it can be quite good.. It also depends on the connection that both parites have.. ie broadband or dial up..

I have used it to remotely fix a friends PC, and as long as you are patient it works well..

J

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have used this with great sucess too - with both parties having ADSL it is actually pretty usable!

Very handy for sorting minor issues like correcting e-mail server problems, or stopping things loading on startup for novice users :)

Ask a Question