Anyone Ever Use Registry Healer?

Daleje

I ran across this on the Web. I wonder if anyone has any experience with it. It
is shareware. Here's what they say about it:

Registry Healer from FixRegistry.com will check the entire registry to make
sure that there are no broken entries.
Unlike similar utilities, this program doesn't simply (and dangerously) remove
items from your Registry. It will attempt to correct invalid entries by finding
matching folders and files that may have been moved.
Registry Healer can:
find and correct invalid file and folder references;
find and delete empty registry keys;
find and correct invalid font entries;
find and delete obsolete Start Menu items;
find and correct invalid application paths;
find and correct invalid registered help files;
find and correct invalid shared DLL references;
find and correct invalid autostart registry references;
find and delete unused software registry references;
search for matches of invalid entries on user's computer;
open folders to which invalid registry keys refer;
open Windows RegEdit at invalid registry entries;
full registry backup before any changes;
backup only modified registry entries as RegEdit4 files, so you are always able
to restore certain registry changes;
save the list of found invalid entries into text file;
print the list of found invalid entries;
run the program from the Control Panel.
Supported OS: Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT4+SP4+IE4, Windows 2000
Professional & Server, Windows XP Home & Professional.
http://www.fixregistry.com/regheal/index.htm

Edward

Well, it just may very well work just fine. HOWEVER, with all of those
things it supposedly performs, the likelihood of it doing everything just
right seems slim. And we all know what can happen to a registry with even 1
single mistake in the wrong key.

Maybe it asks you to confirm certain questionable changes. That's fine too
if you know the correct answer. Most people don't! (including myself
sometimes)

If you do want to try it, just make sure that the very first function it
performs is to back-up the registry and that it has clear instructions to
restore it in the event it trashes it.

Ed

GSV Three Minds in a Can

from the said:
I ran across this on the Web. I wonder if anyone has any experience with it. It
is shareware. Here's what they say about it:

Registry Healer from FixRegistry.com will check the entire registry to make
sure that there are no broken entries.

<snip 'and is the best thing since sliced bread'>

Yes, but exactly what problem are you suffering from that this is going
to fix? If you have a critical problem, and there is a 90% chance
something will fix it, then go ahead. You can ignore the 1% chance that
the fix will completely screw you up, based on the probable gains.

If you have no problems at all, or only a minor problem, then the
balance of probabilities says that you're likely to lose more than you
gain, so =don't mess with it=.

This works wonderfully well for most things in life, as well as in
computers and software.

Daleje

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I need that reminder every once in a while.
I guess that esthetically I'm attracted by the idea of a "clean registry."
Also, I just can't resist tinkering.

GSV Three Minds in a Can

from the said:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I need that reminder every once in a while.
I guess that esthetically I'm attracted by the idea of a "clean registry."
Also, I just can't resist tinkering.

Well, don't let me stop you, just don't tinker with some machine that
you actually need to work .. I have a whole separate PC just for trying
ridiculous drivers, insane overclocking, and 'things found on the web'
... it needs repairing depressingly frequently. 8>.

Daleje

You know, I gave my old computer away to my son-in-law, and now I'm wishing I
had kept it just to "tinker" with.
Subject: Re: Anyone Ever Use Registry Healer?