    Thanks
    lbrtchx

    , Mar 18, 2009

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >~
    > Many devices such as keyboards and monitors have a bulit-in USB hub,
    >but the thing is they would only handle pen drives
    >~
    > I do know a desktop or laptop would handle micro drives, but I need
    >for the USB hub of such a peripheral to do so
    >~
    > Do you know of any LCD monitor or multimedia keyboard which would
    >power an external micro drive?

    It has been my understanding the HP LP2475w has fully functional USB
    ports.

    Regards, Patrick.

    Patrick Vervoorn, Mar 18, 2009

  3. rjn Guest

    On Mar 18, 4:52 am, wrote:

    >  Many devices such as keyboards and monitors have a bulit-in USB hub,
    > but the thing is they would only handle pen drives
    >  I do know a desktop or laptop would handle micro drives, but I need
    > for the USB hub of such a peripheral to do so

    You need to know what to ask/look for.
    The wiki page on USB is a reasonable introduction.

    You probably want a monitor that has a USB which is both:
    "High Speed" and
    "full power".
    This would be a USB 2.0 or 3.0 hub with the red HS
    crest or SS on the USB logo. Note: a hub can still be
    USB 2.0 and yet support only speeds lower than "High".

    Many monitor hubs are likely only "Full Speed", which
    is marginal for mass storage, or "Low Speed" which is
    too slow. You are unlikely to have need for "Super Speed" yet.

    You also need to know how the hub is powered. If it is bus
    powered (by the USB host PC, and not the monitor or
    separate power brick), it probably only supports low power
    (1 unit load) devices (kbds, mice).

    If the device is "self powered" (i.e. by the monitor), does it
    matter that it might be off when the monitor is switched off?
    Monitor makers rarely bother to document this. (It's also
    possible, but unlikely, that the hub would be powered
    down when the monitor enters power-saving mode).

    Or just buy a cheap HS2.0 hub & brick and some foam
    mounting tape.

    --
    Regards, Bob Niland mailto:

    rjn, Mar 21, 2009