Any insights into background events when using change user /install??

S

Sam Wenger

I think I need someone who has some technical understanding in the enginerring of Terminal Services for this question. I am usually able to tweak most programs to work in the Terminal Services environment. I am stuck with Quickbooks 2004. Until this version I simply had to give permissions to the registry and files that the program uses. After installing this version even as an Administrator I can't run the program. It somes up with an error "Error loading required file" I did manage to run the program in the following situation only. If I run the command line change user /install I can then run the program without any errors. But if I switch it back to /execute I get the error again. What I need to know is what exactly is happening when I run /install and knowing this is there a way I can make thsi program work without obviously leaving /install which can cause unforseeable damage to the server applications.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

V

Vera Noest [MVP]

In short: when you put the TS in install mode, all changes to the
registry are stored in the "shadow area" of the registry. When a
user logs in to the TS, they get a personal copy of the registry
keys in the shadow area, which is than copied to their personal
profile. This mechanism makes it possible for multiple users to
each have a copy of the registry keys, and thus personal settings
for an application, in stead of all settings applying to all