Antivirus for Windows 98

gufus

Hello, David!

You wrote on Fri, 9 Apr 2010 22:52:21 -0400:

FL>> What free antivrius still supports Win98 please? Avast and AVG
FL>> stopped.
|
| The same as you were already tol in alt.privacy.spyware

I was going to suggest Drweb, don't know though
http://www.drweb.com/

Virus Guy

:

From: "Henry said:
| What free antivrius still supports Win98 please? Avast and AVG
| stopped.

The same as you were already tol in alt.privacy.spyware

And microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

Henry - it's called cross-posting.

Use it.

And the answer is Norton Anti-Virus 2002, which can be updated to
current virus signatures and scan engine using Symantec Intelligent
Updater.

gufus

Hello, Virus!

You wrote on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 20:11:21 -0400:

VG> And the answer is Norton Anti-Virus 2002, which can be updated to
VG> current virus signatures and scan engine using Symantec Intelligent
VG> Updater
VG> .

Will Norton Anti-Virus 2002 with the current scan engine and current diffs
work with MS-DOS?

Virus Guy

gufus said:
Will Norton Anti-Virus 2002 with the current scan engine and
current diffs work with MS-DOS?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...5f0d98e09af6733585256edd00478e31?OpenDocument

-----------
The startup scan runs in MS-DOS before Windows 95/98 is loaded. Since
the scan is run in MS-DOS, it is only available on operating systems
that will run on MS-DOS. Windows Me/NT/2000 and XP do not run MS-DOS,
therefore, the startup scan will not appear as a choice on any of these
operating systems.
----------

If you suspect that your system is infected, and if you have already
installed NAV 2002 and have updated it with the Symantec Intelligent
Updater, then follow these steps to run NAV 2002 with the system booted
into DOS:

1. Restart the computer using a clean DOS boot disk (floppy) that
you created on an uninfected computer.

2. Run Navdx.exe (the DOS scanner) from the from the Norton
AntiVirus program folder using the /boot and /repair
switches. For example:

C:> \progra~1\norton~1\navdx.exe /cfg:a /boot /repair

3. Press Enter and follow the prompts.

gufus

Hello, Virus!

You wrote on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:38:52 -0400:

| 2. Run Navdx.exe (the DOS scanner) from the from the Norton
| AntiVirus program folder using the /boot and /repair
| switches. For example:

Once I get a chance to install NAV on my XPP box, I'll put it on a mapped
DIR pointing to the MS-DOS box.

BTY... will Avira and NAV run side-by-side on XPP/XPH?

David H. Lipman

From: "gufus" <[email protected]>

| Hello, Virus!

| You wrote on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:38:52 -0400:

|| 2. Run Navdx.exe (the DOS scanner) from the from the Norton
|| AntiVirus program folder using the /boot and /repair
|| switches. For example:

| Once I get a chance to install NAV on my XPP box, I'll put it on a mapped
| DIR pointing to the MS-DOS box.

| BTY... will Avira and NAV run side-by-side on XPP/XPH?

Yes but ONLY if NAV is an "On Demand" scanner. If it installs an "On Access" capability,
don't do it!

Virus Guy

gufus said:
BTY... will Avira and NAV run side-by-side on XPP/XPH?

My impression is that there will be no conflict.

I have run other on-demand and installed malware scanners on XP machines
in addition to NAV 2002. One being "The Cleaner" by Moosoft (which is
an AV app that I've never seen as part of Virus Total - maybe Lipman can
explain why).

What usually happens during an on-demand scan with another app is that
when the app accesses a viral file, NAV will usually step up to the
front and announce a positive detection before the other app gets a
chance (or vice-versa, depending on which app is performing a full scan
or which app has the correct detection signatures). I wouldn't say that
such behavior is a problem - or leads to system instability.

A simple right-click on NAV in the system tray will allow you to disable
it for the rest of the session - I usually have to do that if I'm
manipulating viral samples (copying them between directories, etc).

I doubt that NAV 2002 has that many hooks (or deep hooks) into the OS as
compared to newer versions, which would probably make it a better
candidate as a secondary, full-time operational scanner.

FromTheRafters

Virus Guy said:
My impression is that there will be no conflict.

Avira is configurable for on-read and/or on-write file access. It
*might* be possible to configure two on-access scanners without a
conflict in this regard. There may be other kinds of conflicts to deal
with though.
I have run other on-demand and installed malware scanners on XP
machines
in addition to NAV 2002. One being "The Cleaner" by Moosoft (which is
an AV app that I've never seen as part of Virus Total - maybe Lipman
can
explain why).

Is it an antivirus now?

[...]

David H. Lipman

From: "Virus Guy" <[email protected]>

< snip >

| I have run other on-demand and installed malware scanners on XP machines
| in addition to NAV 2002. One being "The Cleaner" by Moosoft (which is
| an AV app that I've never seen as part of Virus Total - maybe Lipman can
| explain why).

< snip >

Julio would know the answer but, it isn't a question I'd waste his time with.

Perhaps they don't have a CLS they can provide him or they never asked to have their
application added to the list.

gufus

Hello, David!

You wrote on Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:18:42 -0400:

|> Once I get a chance to install NAV on my XPP box, I'll put it on a
|> mapped DIR pointing to the MS-DOS box.
|
|> BTY... will Avira and NAV run side-by-side on XPP/XPH?
|
| Yes but ONLY if NAV is an "On Demand" scanner. If it installs an "On
| Access" capability, don't do it!

'k

Looks like...

Avira - Gard
NAV - Auto-protect

Both have a on/off switch, I like Gard.

gufus

Hello, Virus!

You wrote on Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:35:44 -0400:

| My impression is that there will be no conflict.

Well the install and update went smooth.. NO PROB :)
But there is /no/ "navdx.exe" anywhere :(
Ideas?

9

98 Guy

gufus said:
Well the install and update went smooth.. NO PROB :)
But there is /no/ "navdx.exe" anywhere :(
Ideas?

Based on some investigation I've just done, I can tell you this:
navdx.exe is not present when NAV 2002 is installed on Win-XP machines.
But it is present when installed on win-98 systems.

Here is a download link for navdx.exe:

www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/19/2010382/NAVDX.ZIP

Zip password is "a" (no quotes). It will unzip to navdx.xex. Rename it
to navdx.exe.

gufus

Hello, 98!

You wrote on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:30:54 -0400:

FL>> Well the install and update went smooth.. NO PROB :)
FL>> But there is /no/ "navdx.exe" anywhere :(
FL>> Ideas?
G>
G> Based on some investigation I've just done, I can tell you this:

Say..

If you know, I found my old NAV 2002 DL'ed version, even tho it's only good
for 1 (one) year, the subscription will choke after that, Also NAV
Systemworks 2002 had problems, I thought it install right, but it didn't.
NAV 200 /wouldn't/ install, or clean sweep either.

Anynoo, will "navdx.exe" be the only file needed? No DLL"s either? To much
screwing around. :(

gufus

Hello, 98!

You wrote on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:30:54 -0400:

FL>> Well the install and update went smooth.. NO PROB :)
FL>> But there is /no/ "navdx.exe" anywhere :(
FL>> Ideas?
G>
G> Based on some investigation I've just done, I can tell you this:
G> navdx.exe is not present when NAV 2002 is installed on Win-XP machines.

BTW.. I think it was user /error/ when I tried install ing Norton
Systemworks 02, I'm going to try again, time permitting.

Virus Guy

gufus said:
If you know, I found my old NAV 2002 DL'ed version, even tho it's
only good for 1 (one) year, the subscription will choke after
that

Yes. Once you install NAV 2002, it will accept new updates for 366
days. After that, it will refuse new virus definitions.

To fix that, simply un-install and re-install it. But before you
re-install, delete the file "catalog.livesubscribe".

On win-98 systems, that file will be found in:

c:\windows\all users\application data\symantec\livesubscribe

That directory will not be deleted when you uninstall NAV.

If you keep NAV 2002 installed on several PC's, it's only necessary to
re-install it on one PC when it expires. When you re-install, take a
copy of the new catalog.livesubscribe and copy it in place of the others
on the other PC's. They will all be updated to the new expiration date
when you do that.
Also NAV Systemworks 2002 had problems, I thought it install right
but it didn't.
NAV 2002 /wouldn't/ install, or clean sweep either.

I never install cleansweep (not on win-98 or XP).

If your system has ever had NAV installed on it before, you might have
to do a complete search for all old remnants and remove them. From your
registry too.

See here for NAV removal tool:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
Anynoo, will "navdx.exe" be the only file needed? No DLL"s either?
To much screwing around. :(

I can provide my C:\Program_Files\Norton_SystemWorks\Norton_AntiVirus
directory as a zipped file (about 13 mb uncompressed). It should be
enough to enable a working version for DOS. It would probably also need
C:\Program_Files\Common_Files\Symantec_Shared\VirusDefs as well (about
258 mb uncompressed).

But I really don't see why you need to scan a system that's exclusively
running DOS. What exposure does such a system have to the internet? Or
even a LAN network?

You can always remove the drive from such a system and connected it as a
slave to another (windows) system and scan the drive that way.