Another Newbie Queston

Troy Moseley

Can a Nameserver and a Webserver reside on the same machine with the same IP
Address?

Kurt

Troy said:
Can a Nameserver and a Webserver reside on the same machine with the same IP
Address?
Don't know why not. DNS uses port 53 and WWW is port 80.

....kurt

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Troy Moseley said:
Can a Nameserver and a Webserver reside on the same machine with the
same IP Address?

Sure.

What are your specific plans? Maybe we can help.

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...

Troy Moseley

Well the plans are to move all my websites to my own server. I want to be
able to have full control of my sites even the name servers.

Here's the whole deal. My work has had it's own namesever for some time that
was only routing email for the company. I have put my server in to run
webservices and want to configure another nameserver so our company won't
have to rely on an outside company for it's secondary nameserver.

I think I've got my Win2K Server DNS up and running without any issues
, that I know anyway, at least it isn't throwing anymore errors, but how do
I get it to 'talk' to the other server, a Win2003 box, so they maintain the
same records?

Anyone got any good tutorials on this issue?

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Troy Moseley said:
Well the plans are to move all my websites to my own server. I want
to be able to have full control of my sites even the name servers.

Here's the whole deal. My work has had it's own namesever for some
time that was only routing email for the company. I have put my
server in to run webservices and want to configure another nameserver
so our company won't have to rely on an outside company for it's
secondary nameserver.
I think I've got my Win2K Server DNS up and running without any issues
, that I know anyway, at least it isn't throwing anymore errors, but
how do I get it to 'talk' to the other server, a Win2003 box, so they
maintain the same records?

Anyone got any good tutorials on this issue?

If you want your own webserver to be a public nameserver as well, it's not
too hard. Go to your public DNS and created an additional hostname server
(follow the instructions at your registrar), by giving it a name, such as
ns2.domain.com. Give it your WAN IP address. On your NAT device, port remap
TCP and UDP 53 to the private IP of the server. That is how others on the
internet will be aware of your server.

I believe you can create, depending on the registrar, your server as a
secondary of your primary zone on the registrar's. But you will have to ask
them if they will do that. If not, you'll need maintain the records
manually.

And yes, your webserver can be a public nameserver as well.

Ace

Troy Moseley

Thanks Ace,

Here's another question for you, and the group. If I have 2 WAN IP addresses
available can I put both host in my DNS so my machine will be both
nameservers? ie

mydomain.com.dns enteries

ns1 Host xx.xx.xx.x0
ns2 Host xx.xx.xx.x1
www Host xx.xx.xx.x0

Then register both with my registar as nameservers? Of course I'd have to
have 2 local IP addresses and map these accordingly in our NAT security
device. Will this work? And will this add a great deal of traffic on my
server? I plan to run about 10 sites altogether.

Thanks for the help...

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Troy Moseley said:
Thanks Ace,

Here's another question for you, and the group. If I have 2 WAN IP
addresses available can I put both host in my DNS so my machine will
be both nameservers? ie

mydomain.com.dns enteries

ns1 Host xx.xx.xx.x0
ns2 Host xx.xx.xx.x1
www Host xx.xx.xx.x0

Then register both with my registar as nameservers? Of course I'd
have to have 2 local IP addresses and map these accordingly in our
NAT security device. Will this work? And will this add a great deal
of traffic on my server? I plan to run about 10 sites altogether.

Thanks for the help...

As long as the device can do it (PIX, NetScreen, etc, can handle that).
That's called tricking the registrar, but yes you can do it. But it defeats
the purpose of having a backup nameserver.

Ace

Troy Moseley

Yea I know it defeats the purpose on a secondary nameserver but if you think
about it if my server fails then so does the websites so being able to route
to them would be a moot point. Fortunately we do have a Cisco PIX, now I'll
just have to talk my boss out of another WAN IP Address... I'll have to have
another one anyway if we want to run secure pages on both our main websites.

Thanks again, I think I've got it... I hope..

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Troy Moseley said:
Yea I know it defeats the purpose on a secondary nameserver but if
you think about it if my server fails then so does the websites so
being able to route to them would be a moot point. Fortunately we do
have a Cisco PIX, now I'll just have to talk my boss out of another
WAN IP Address... I'll have to have another one anyway if we want to
run secure pages on both our main websites.
Thanks again, I think I've got it... I hope..

You are welcome. Good luck with everything and Happy Holidays!

Now for me, back to wrapping gifts...

Ace