Annoying Phone Calls

Reaction score
Ever since i upgraded to broadband from 56k, our phoneline has been breathing a sigh of relief. But in my opinion 56k was a gods send because it stopped all the annoying phonecalls getting through.

I was wondering how many of you reading this keep getting phone calls, which seem dead at first but then someone picks up on the other end. Usually it's about health insurance, mobile phones or other such rubbish, and on a bad day we get at least 6 of these calls which i'm personally finding a nuisance. I would like to leave the phone off the hook, but my grandad just came out of hospital and he uses the phone if he needs help with anything.

Is there anything that I can personally do to stop this ? Is there a complaints comission somewhere that handles problems with marketing companies cold calling customers ?

Sorry this is rather random thread guys, but since joining this forum i find your feedback and comments very helpful.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There is a database you can get your name taken off the list, but I can't remember the address. I'm sure someone here will though!

Reaction score
My uncle would get on a very good day around 3 calls an hour! very anoying!

He says the same as Ian, although he cannot remember the number to be removed!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I literally tell them to **** *** :D

Really.

It works, the number of calls I get now has reduced dramatically.

Sometimes though I like to wind them up, there's lots of possibilities, especially if it's a female ;) (Was that sexist? My God, Jamieson, I do believe it was. Gosh.)

Wound some kitchen seller up so badly one evening he gave me back my own usual retort :eek:

That was a good one, him actually hanging up on me :D

Reaction score
flopps...

you need to learn to be nicer to people... allthough it does sound fun!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Bwahaha :) Nice one Floppy :D

I just say "sorry, no thanks" then hangup if someone calls about double glazing etc... Although when one particular double glazing company called Pennine (which did ring up frequently) called, I said "sorry, no, bye". 30 seconds later, once again they rang... "look, I don't want double glazing!". 30 seconds later 3rd time... "I DONT WANT DOUBLE GLAZING".

4th time... them : "WAIT, WAIT, WAIT - please listen"... it turns out my dad had asked for a quote for some work from them. Boy did I feel silly!

Reaction score
what you do is you say

"I'm afraid stephen isn't availiable at this time, hes sunbathing naked on the roof" and promptly hang up.

Or something similar, something that will make them think your really weird...

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Bwahaha :) Nice one Floppy :D

I just say "sorry, no thanks" then hangup if someone calls about double glazing etc... Although when one particular double glazing company called Pennine (which did ring up frequently) called, I said "sorry, no, bye". 30 seconds later, once again they rang... "look, I don't want double glazing!". 30 seconds later 3rd time... "I DONT WANT DOUBLE GLAZING".

4th time... them : "WAIT, WAIT, WAIT - please listen"... it turns out my dad had asked for a quote for some work from them. Boy did I feel silly!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i never heard of anything like that before!!!!

Thats brilliant!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
we always get them i had 3 when i was reading this earlier i do the same as flopps the old **** *** works most of the time but then others just start their speech thing and you cant say anything so i just hang up!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
We get around 6 a week at our household, and its bloody annoying! You pick the phone up, and theres about a 3 second break, then you get "Hello im John from telesales and marketing...".

So when we hear a small break now we just put the phone straight down. But when your the only one in the house and the phone is downstairs and ringing while having a good season of online shooting making you rush down just to hear that crap, i could break someones leg!

Reaction score
Right, my parents stopped this, it will cost money tho, if you go ex-directory it means ur not in the phone book meaning these companies are not allowed to phone you, if they do you can have a right go at them cos you payed cash to be private!! You need to contact ur phone service provider and ask them about it!!! :D

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear folks

We are with BT so this may not work for people with other providers. I got so thoroughly fed up that I got BT to do something technical at the exchange and we get NONE now ZIP and it was FREE. At work however, I am getting some VOIP company ringing me and that is dead weird (something about phone over the internet) and I am not sure that I even speak to a real person because the voice sounds computerised and doesn't immediately respond to speech. That is really blagging my head with this weirdo trying to sell me things. A firm 'no thanks' does not appear to do the trick.

Gabriella x

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Unlisted number, that's what it is called. Just call your telecom company and they will arrange it for you.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, that is quite strange, a computerised VOIP caller!

You should just leave the line active and waste their phone bill ;)

Reaction score
Ian, what a fun thing to do!

"i'm sorry, you cannot use the phone right now, i am trying to waste some company's phone bill"

Nope

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats right Chris - its a telephone system using conventional internet protocols. You can basically give someone a call using your usual ADSL line to someone else connected to the net. Its like an advanced version of "Roger Wilco" or those other applications that you can use to talk to people during online games.

You'll be hearing loads more about it in the coming years, it will be a very big business!

Ask a Question