AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Upgrade

RDN

Ordered a new AMD Athlon 64 fx-55 (San Diego) today

In July I built a A64 3500 (venice)
on an Asus A8N-E ultra mobo
with only 512Mb ( I ran out of cash)

I had to jump on the Newegg.com deal. ( A64 fx-55 and
Seagate HD 250Mb SATA combo for $199 with shipping)

With this CPU I'll go from 2.2Mhz to 2.6Mhz,
512Kib cache to 1Mib. And best of all the chip is UNLOCKED !!

P.S. Since I'm splurging, I'll get another stick of DDR400- HyperX
to go dual channel.

Art

RDN said:
Ordered a new AMD Athlon 64 fx-55 (San Diego) today

In July I built a A64 3500 (venice)
on an Asus A8N-E ultra mobo
with only 512Mb ( I ran out of cash)

I had to jump on the Newegg.com deal. ( A64 fx-55 and
Seagate HD 250Mb SATA combo for $199 with shipping)

With this CPU I'll go from 2.2Mhz to 2.6Mhz,
512Kib cache to 1Mib. And best of all the chip is UNLOCKED !!

P.S. Since I'm splurging, I'll get another stick of DDR400- HyperX
to go dual channel.
Congrats! That seemed like a sweet deal to me too. I ordered some Seagate
drives but alas, all my m/bs are AM2 so I didn't do the combo deal. I hear
that's one fast chip!

Art

Vince Coen

Hello RDN!

25 Oct 06 01:11, RDN wrote to All:

R> With this CPU I'll go from 2.2Mhz to 2.6Mhz,
R> 512Kib cache to 1Mib. And best of all the chip is UNLOCKED !!

What do you mean by 'Unlocked' ?

Vince

Ed

Hello RDN!

25 Oct 06 01:11, RDN wrote to All:

R> With this CPU I'll go from 2.2Mhz to 2.6Mhz,
R> 512Kib cache to 1Mib. And best of all the chip is UNLOCKED !!

What do you mean by 'Unlocked' ?

With an FX you can raise and lower the CPU multiplier, all other AMD64's
you can only lower the multiplier which forces you to raise the bus
speed in order to OC the CPU.

Ed

RDN

Thanx Ed couldn't said it better.

RDN

Ed said:
With an FX you can raise and lower the CPU multiplier, all other AMD64's
you can only lower the multiplier which forces you to raise the bus
speed in order to OC the CPU.

Ed

Merrill P. L. Worthington

Ed said:
Have fun with that FX!
Been running an A8N-E & 4200+ X2 for almost a year now @ 236x11
(2.6Ghz), and still loving it! :)

Ed

Running the same CPU, same clocking on an A8N-VM CSM with a GeForce
7600GT. Very nice set-up.

C. Sowash

With an FX you can raise and lower the CPU multiplier, all other AMD64's
you can only lower the multiplier which forces you to raise the bus
speed in order to OC the CPU.

I have an FX-55. How do I set the CPU multiplier?

C. Sowash

In BIOS setup, go into the Cell Menu and start tweaking up the FSB.

Isn't the FSB speed different than the CPU multiplier? Currently it's set at
209 x 13.0. How do I increase the 13?

Merrill P. L. Worthington

C. Sowash said:
Isn't the FSB speed different than the CPU multiplier? Currently it's set at
209 x 13.0. How do I increase the 13?

(the simple way...)

There is a difference. In this case, the 209 is the FSB frequency, the
13.0 is the multiplier. The FX multiplier is not locked so that 13 can
be increased. But go a little at a time until the system starts to get
unstable (won't POST, locks up, BSOD, strange things happening with the
video display, etc.). Then back off a little.

While you're increasing the multiplier, watch the CPU temps. Run a
program or game that eats up a lot of CPU to see what happens with the
temps. If the CPU starts running consistently over 55C (I use 55C,
YMMV), then back off the speed.

Merrill P. L. Worthington

Merrill said:
(the simple way...)

There is a difference. In this case, the 209 is the FSB frequency, the
13.0 is the multiplier. The FX multiplier is not locked so that 13 can
be increased. But go a little at a time until the system starts to get
unstable (won't POST, locks up, BSOD, strange things happening with the
video display, etc.). Then back off a little.

While you're increasing the multiplier, watch the CPU temps. Run a
program or game that eats up a lot of CPU to see what happens with the
temps. If the CPU starts running consistently over 55C (I use 55C,
YMMV), then back off the speed.

BTW, unless you're using very fast hard drives, there may not be a
significant change in performance. Don't be expecting your computer to
run at telepathic speeds just by o/c'ing 10% or 20%.

In my experience, the best o/c performance I've gotten resulted in some
smoothing of video performance.

C. Sowash

There is a difference. In this case, the 209 is the FSB frequency, the
13.0 is the multiplier. The FX multiplier is not locked so that 13 can
be increased.

Back to my original question: How do I increase the multiplier (13) rather than
the FSB? I can't find any setting to Core Center to do this.

Merrill P. L. Worthington

C. Sowash said:
Back to my original question: How do I increase the multiplier (13) rather than
the FSB? I can't find any setting to Core Center to do this.

You've got to look at the manual specific to your motherboard. And it
never hurts to get into the BIOS setup and trying to dig out the
setting. Worst case it that you just have to clear CMOS and start again.

C. Sowash

You've got to look at the manual specific to your motherboard. And it
never hurts to get into the BIOS setup and trying to dig out the
setting. Worst case it that you just have to clear CMOS and start again.

OK, so after all of this discussion about FSB and other issues unrelated to the
multiplier, your answer is "I don't know".

figjam

I will take a stab at it and say, it will be in the Advanced section of the
bios.
hth

cheers

Fig

Merrill P. L. Worthington

C. Sowash said:
OK, so after all of this discussion about FSB and other issues unrelated to the
multiplier, your answer is "I don't know".

No. Its there. But its up to you to browse around your specific BIOS to
find the option.

As I said before....

Look in the Cell Menu or Advanced Options in your BIOS. I don't have
the same kind of motherboard but there aren't too many other variations.

Peter van der Goes

C. Sowash said:
OK, so after all of this discussion about FSB and other issues unrelated
to the
multiplier, your answer is "I don't know".

Why should MTW, or anybody else, download your motherboard manual, then read
it for you to show you the setting? BTW, do you have the K8N Neo4
Platinum/SLI or the K8N Neo4 Platinum?

From looking at the MSI site, you'll need to tell us if you have PCB v1 or
PCBv3 (should be silk screened on the motherboard itself) so the correct
manual can be researched.

Hint: Under Advanced Chipset Settings, look for Adjust CPU Ratio.