AMD 64 and Windows XP

How do I know if my computer is running Windows XP 64 on my new AMD 64 bit processor? The crux of the matter is that I want to know what drivers to DL for my Video Card, and I need to know if it is for Win XP or Win XP 64 bit. on My Computer Properties tab it only says Windows XP Home Edition.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

If your My Computer Properties indicates you are running Windows XP Home Edition,
you are running a 32-bit version since XP Home is only available as a 32-bit version.

Newsgroup Support for Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/extended/trial/support.mspx

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview Program
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp

List of Limitations in 64-Bit Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282423&Product=winxp

Cannot Install Some Programs on Windows XP for 64-bit Platforms
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298218&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| How do I know if my computer is running Windows XP 64 on my new AMD 64 bit processor? The crux of the
matter is that I want to know what drivers to DL for my Video Card, and I need to know if it is for Win XP or
Win XP 64 bit. on My Computer Properties tab it only says Windows XP Home Edition.

XS11E

How do I know if my computer is running Windows XP 64 on my new
AMD 64 bit processor? The crux of the matter is that I want to
know what drivers to DL for my Video Card, and I need to know if
it is for Win XP or Win XP 64 bit. on My Computer Properties tab
it only says Windows XP Home Edition.

There is no Windows XP 64-bit edition so you're not running it.

There is a free download of a very early and not really functional beta
version of Windows XP 64-bit edition but if you were running it, you'd
know it, nothing would work! <G>

BTW, it might be a very good idea, after downloading the 32 bit drivers
that you need, to remember where you found the 64 bit drivers, later
the 64 bit version will be released and you'll need those drivers.

Tim Slattery

XS11E said:
You can download it for free from MS site, don't bother, it doesn't
work very well.

There's a 64-bit version for Intel Itanium processors that is
available commercially. There's another 64-bit version for AMD Opteron
that's in beta. The Opteron beta is probably what you're saying is
"free from the MS site". Since it's beta software, it's can't be
depended on to be working very well yet.

Phil

XS11E said:
You can download it for free from MS site, don't bother, it doesn't
work very well.

Not for XP home, which is what the op has and what we were talking about.