    Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?

    I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any freeware
    alternatives?

    Trog Dog, Sep 12, 2004

  2. Trog Dog

    BillR Guest

    "Trog Dog" <> wrote in message
    news:N4Z0d.28568$...
    > Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
    >
    > I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any freeware
    > alternatives?

    I hope someone has a better answer. Until then....

    TrackerV3 supports thumbs and a viewer pane where you can preview a few
    basic file types (including HTML) plus a slew of audio and video formats.
    Irfanview, XnView, SlowView, and FreshView (among others) will display a
    wide variety of graphical formats.

    Columbus also includes viewing technology from Stellent (current owner of
    Quick View Plus) and Rasterex. The free Columbus Personal Edition document
    management system is limited to 200 documents (IIRC) on non-networked
    drives. Somewhat ironic as it claims to support 300 formats. You may be
    able to find an older version that supported unlimited documents but was
    subject to some other limitations that I don't recall at the moment.

    I assume you already have a good archive (zip) program. If not, visit
    Pricelessware, Files.

    There are also a number of viewers for specific formats (e.g., MS Word
    Viewer, MS Access Viewer).

    The best alternative may be picking through the list at
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php

    I think everything I've mentioned is linked there or elsewhere in
    www.pricelessware.org
    www.pricelesswarehome.org

    [OT] If you feel tempted to buy Quick View Plus, look at PowerDesk first.
    The commercial PowerDesk includes Quick View Plus modules via a viewer pane.
    I believe the QVP is one or two editions older than the current QVP but
    still far more extensive than the paltry few formats included in Win95 and
    Win98. PowerDesk is much less expensive than Quick View Plus. Cheaper
    still on EBay or similar. Note that SystemSuite only includes the free
    PowerDesk _without_ the viewer.

    [Sort of On Topic] If you are handy, you might try experimenting with
    pointing PowerDesk Free/Trial at the viewing modules installed by Columbus
    PE. PowerDesk documentation briefly mentions using external Quick View Plus
    files. I am unclear whether that feature is available in PowerDesk
    Free/Trial.

    BillR

    BillR, Sep 12, 2004

  3. Trog Dog

    Chris Dubea Guest

    >Columbus also includes viewing technology from Stellent (current owner of
    >Quick View Plus) and Rasterex. The free Columbus Personal Edition document
    >management system is limited to 200 documents (IIRC) on non-networked
    >drives. Somewhat ironic as it claims to support 300 formats. You may be
    >able to find an older version that supported unlimited documents but was
    >subject to some other limitations that I don't recall at the moment.

    I'm certain as a result of the introduction of Columbus Professional,
    the free version of Columbus has been seriously crippled with the
    advent of version 3.0.

    It's funny as previously there were a spate of old versions of
    Columbus available for download, but this is no longer the case.

    Unfortunate.
    Chris

    Chris Dubea, Sep 12, 2004
  4. Trog Dog

    John Corliss Guest

    BillR wrote:
    > "Trog Dog" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
    >>
    >>I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any freeware
    >>alternatives?

    > I hope someone has a better answer. Until then....
    >
    > TrackerV3 supports thumbs and a viewer pane where you can preview a few
    > basic file types (including HTML) plus a slew of audio and video formats.
    > Irfanview, XnView, SlowView, and FreshView (among others) will display a
    > wide variety of graphical formats.
    >
    > Columbus also includes viewing technology from Stellent (current owner of
    > Quick View Plus) and Rasterex. The free Columbus Personal Edition document
    > management system is limited to 200 documents (IIRC) on non-networked
    > drives. Somewhat ironic as it claims to support 300 formats. You may be
    > able to find an older version that supported unlimited documents but was
    > subject to some other limitations that I don't recall at the moment.
    >
    > I assume you already have a good archive (zip) program. If not, visit
    > Pricelessware, Files.
    >
    > There are also a number of viewers for specific formats (e.g., MS Word
    > Viewer, MS Access Viewer).
    >
    > The best alternative may be picking through the list at
    > http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php
    >
    > I think everything I've mentioned is linked there or elsewhere in
    > www.pricelessware.org
    > www.pricelesswarehome.org
    > (snip)

    Bill, are you sure about that file limitation for Columbus? I looked
    but couldn't find any mention of it on their site:

    http://www.oasys-software.com/product/dm/columbus/

    Not only that, but they're listed at Nonags who won't list crippleware
    if they're aware that's the case.

    I just emailed the company for clarification and will post back to
    this thread if they reply.

    --
    Regards from John Corliss
    No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware,

    John Corliss, Sep 13, 2004
  5. Trog Dog wrote:
    > Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
    >
    > I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any
    > freeware alternatives?

    FWIW : there is a link to MS Quickview on this page:
    <http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php>
    (Programs that have been mentioned in ACF posts)

    <http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/cdext6/1/W95/EN-US/quik
    vu.exe>

    --
    Cheers,
    Sietse Fliege

    Sietse Fliege, Sep 13, 2004
  6. Trog Dog

    John Corliss Guest

    Sietse Fliege wrote:
    > Trog Dog wrote:
    >> Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
    >> I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any
    >> freeware alternatives?

    > FWIW : there is a link to MS Quickview on this page:
    > <http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php>
    > (Programs that have been mentioned in ACF posts)
    >
    > <http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/cdext6/1/W95/EN-US/quik
    > vu.exe>

    Sietse,
    I was able to get Quickview to work with Millennium Edition, but
    does it work with XP? The OP mentioned he's upgraded to that version.

    John Corliss, Sep 13, 2004
  7. Trog Dog

    Trog Dog Guest

    "Sietse Fliege" <> wrote in message
    > Trog Dog wrote:
    >> Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
    >>
    >> I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any
    >> freeware alternatives?

    > FWIW : there is a link to MS Quickview on this page:
    > <http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php>
    > (Programs that have been mentioned in ACF posts)
    >
    > <http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/cdext6/1/W95/EN-US/quik
    > vu.exe>
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Sietse Fliege

    Unfortunately this doesn't work with XP - something about an install point
    in system32.dll - bugger :-(

    Trog Dog, Sep 13, 2004
  8. Trog Dog

    Box134 Guest

    I've tried to find an alternative and haven't been successful either. Quite
    a shame really, can't be any harder to do in XP than in '98. I suppose we
    just need someone who'll take it on!

    Box134, Sep 14, 2004
  9. Trog Dog

    Chris Dubea Guest

    >> (snip)

    >Bill, are you sure about that file limitation for Columbus? I looked
    >but couldn't find any mention of it on their site:
    >
    > http://www.oasys-software.com/product/dm/columbus/
    >
    >Not only that, but they're listed at Nonags who won't list crippleware
    >if they're aware that's the case.
    >
    >I just emailed the company for clarification and will post back to
    >this thread if they reply.

    Hi John,

    I'll be curious to see your reply. I've never seen the file
    limitation mentioned, but the elimination of shared drive access in V3
    makes it a non-starter for me. If they had fixed a bunch of problems
    in V3, I might put up with it, but this is not the case.

    Chris.
    Chris

    Chris Dubea, Sep 14, 2004
  10. Trog Dog

    Shilun Guest

    "Box134" <> wrote in message news:<1kq1d.802$>...
    > I've tried to find an alternative and haven't been successful either. Quite
    > a shame really, can't be any harder to do in XP than in '98. I suppose we
    > just need someone who'll take it on!
    >
    > "Trog Dog" <> wrote in message
    > > Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
    > >
    > > I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any freeware
    > > alternatives?

    Is Ultra Reader any use to you? Not much functionality, but ...
    www.ultrareader.com

    Shilun, Sep 14, 2004
  11. Trog Dog

    John Corliss Guest

    Chris Dubea wrote:
    >>> (snip)

    >> Bill, are you sure about that file limitation for Columbus? I looked
    >> but couldn't find any mention of it on their site:
    >>
    >> http://www.oasys-software.com/product/dm/columbus/
    >>
    >> Not only that, but they're listed at Nonags who won't list crippleware
    >> if they're aware that's the case.
    >> I just emailed the company for clarification and will post back to
    >> this thread if they reply.

    > Hi John,
    > I'll be curious to see your reply. I've never seen the file
    > limitation mentioned, but the elimination of shared drive access in V3
    > makes it a non-starter for me. If they had fixed a bunch of problems
    > in V3, I might put up with it, but this is not the case.

    They still haven't responded. I emailed them for a free registration
    code and got it, but I don't want to install Columbus because I'm
    currently using the old version of Quickview on my ME system and the
    two might conflict.

    John Corliss, Sep 14, 2004
  12. Trog Dog

    John Corliss Guest

    Shilun wrote:
    > Box134 wrote:
    >> Trog Dog wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
    >>> I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any freeware
    >>> alternatives?
    >>>

    >> I've tried to find an alternative and haven't been successful either. Quite
    >> a shame really, can't be any harder to do in XP than in '98. I suppose we
    >> just need someone who'll take it on!

    > Is Ultra Reader any use to you? Not much functionality, but ...
    > www.ultrareader.com

    The thing I like about Quickview is that I can look at WordPerfect
    documents. Ultrareader won't do this from what their site says. Still,
    it might be better than nothing for some folks, especially if they
    don't use WordPerfect.

    Be careful though... they say that they're listed at FreewareFiles.com
    and I couldn't find them there. Couldn't find them at Snapfiles,
    Nonags or Freeware Home either.

    John Corliss, Sep 14, 2004
  13. Trog Dog

    Trog Dog Guest

    "BillR" <> wrote in message
    > "Trog Dog" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
    >>
    >> I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any
    >> freeware
    >> alternatives?

    > I hope someone has a better answer. Until then....
    >
    > TrackerV3 supports thumbs and a viewer pane where you can preview a few
    > basic file types (including HTML) plus a slew of audio and video formats.
    > Irfanview, XnView, SlowView, and FreshView (among others) will display a
    > wide variety of graphical formats.
    >
    > Columbus also includes viewing technology from Stellent (current owner of
    > Quick View Plus) and Rasterex. The free Columbus Personal Edition
    > document
    > management system is limited to 200 documents (IIRC) on non-networked
    > drives. Somewhat ironic as it claims to support 300 formats. You may be
    > able to find an older version that supported unlimited documents but was
    > subject to some other limitations that I don't recall at the moment.
    >
    > I assume you already have a good archive (zip) program. If not, visit
    > Pricelessware, Files.
    >
    > There are also a number of viewers for specific formats (e.g., MS Word
    > Viewer, MS Access Viewer).
    >
    > The best alternative may be picking through the list at
    > http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php
    >
    > I think everything I've mentioned is linked there or elsewhere in
    > www.pricelessware.org
    > www.pricelesswarehome.org
    >
    > [OT] If you feel tempted to buy Quick View Plus, look at PowerDesk first.
    > The commercial PowerDesk includes Quick View Plus modules via a viewer
    > pane.
    > I believe the QVP is one or two editions older than the current QVP but
    > still far more extensive than the paltry few formats included in Win95 and
    > Win98. PowerDesk is much less expensive than Quick View Plus. Cheaper
    > still on EBay or similar. Note that SystemSuite only includes the free
    > PowerDesk _without_ the viewer.
    >
    > [Sort of On Topic] If you are handy, you might try experimenting with
    > pointing PowerDesk Free/Trial at the viewing modules installed by Columbus
    > PE. PowerDesk documentation briefly mentions using external Quick View
    > Plus
    > files. I am unclear whether that feature is available in PowerDesk
    > Free/Trial.
    >
    > BillR

    What I miss about Quickview is the ability to right click a file and view
    it - there were files that it couldn't handle, but on the whole it used to
    serve most of my needs.

    Trog Dog, Sep 14, 2004
  14. Trog Dog

    Night2000 Guest

    Night2000, Sep 15, 2004
  15. Trog Dog

    dszady Guest

    {SPAM} [OT] [XXX] INTERNET SPAM ALERT Re: Alternative to Quickview

    http://www.freewarefiles.com/programs.php?ProgramID=10495&categoryid=9&subcategoryid=96

    > I didn't check the other places you mentioned.

    YOU ****ing Fag ass homo. Get The **** out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You creepy-crawling piece of smelly shit. I'm not done with you. Disappear
    Fag-ass or (here is a threat to take very seriously) I'll kill you. Do I
    need to say it again? Google yourself crap-child. I will KILL you.

    --
    °¿°
    http://www.earths-ocular.com/

    dszady, Sep 15, 2004
  16. Trog Dog

    Night2000 Guest

    Re: {SPAM} [OT] [XXX] INTERNET SPAM ALERT Re: Alternative to Quickview

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 00:25:57 -0400, dszady <> wrote:

    >YOU ****ing Fag ass homo. Get The **** out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >You creepy-crawling piece of smelly shit. I'm not done with you. Disappear
    >Fag-ass or (here is a threat to take very seriously) I'll kill you. Do I
    >need to say it again? Google yourself crap-child. I will KILL you.

    Just like the typical ****, you once again interfere in a thread that
    had nothing to do with you. You are like a scorned woman who just
    can't let go. It's okay you can play tough, or be whoever you want to
    be. After all this is Usenet... Still the reality is you are a major
    loser. Who has a husband that needs to watch porn, just to get it on
    with you. Sucks to be you...

    --
    http://night2000.blogspot.com/

    Night2000, Sep 15, 2004
  17. Trog Dog

    jo Guest

    dszady wrote:

    >I will KILL you.

    > etc...

    A bit of an unnecessary post, don't you think?

    jo, Sep 15, 2004
  18. Trog Dog

    John Corliss Guest

    Night2000 wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >
    >> Be careful though... they say that they're listed at FreewareFiles.com
    >> and I couldn't find them there. Couldn't find them at Snapfiles,
    >> Nonags or Freeware Home either.

    > I checked they are listed at FreewareFiles.com here's the link which
    > may wrap:
    >
    > http://www.freewarefiles.com/programs.php?ProgramID=10495&categoryid=9&subcategoryid=96
    >
    > I didn't check the other places you mentioned.

    You're right. It must have been the way I spelled the program name
    ("UltraReader" instead of "Ultra Reader") because I was easily able to
    find that link by spelling it as two words instead of one. Thanks for
    catching that.

    Guess it looks like a pretty good program. Of course, it's a stand
    alone like Columbus rather than a context menu item like Quickview. On
    the other hand, it may be possible to use it to get rid of Word Viewer
    and Powerpoint Viewer 2003. That would be very nice, given the way
    Word Viewer screws up .doc file associations (probably by design.)

    John Corliss, Sep 15, 2004
  19. Trog Dog

    Night2000 Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 03:41:11 -0700, John Corliss
    <#> wrote:

    >Night2000 wrote:
    >> John Corliss wrote:
    >>
    >>> Be careful though... they say that they're listed at FreewareFiles.com
    >>> and I couldn't find them there. Couldn't find them at Snapfiles,
    >>> Nonags or Freeware Home either.

    >> I checked they are listed at FreewareFiles.com here's the link which
    >> may wrap:
    >>
    >> http://www.freewarefiles.com/programs.php?ProgramID=10495&categoryid=9&subcategoryid=96
    >>
    >> I didn't check the other places you mentioned.

    >You're right. It must have been the way I spelled the program name
    >("UltraReader" instead of "Ultra Reader") because I was easily able to
    >find that link by spelling it as two words instead of one. Thanks for
    >catching that.
    >
    >Guess it looks like a pretty good program. Of course, it's a stand
    >alone like Columbus rather than a context menu item like Quickview. On
    >the other hand, it may be possible to use it to get rid of Word Viewer
    >and Powerpoint Viewer 2003. That would be very nice, given the way
    >Word Viewer screws up .doc file associations (probably by design.)

    It does look like it may be a good program for XP users. I also was
    used to Quickview and miss using it. Of course I have my older Win 98
    machine networked with my XP. So if need be I could still use
    Quickview. Still Ultra Reader may be a good replacement for the XP
    machine.

    --
    http://night2000.blogspot.com/

    Night2000, Sep 15, 2004
  20. Trog Dog

    Night2000 Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:31:22 +0100, jo <> wrote:

    >dszady wrote:
    >
    >>I will KILL you.

    >> etc...

    >A bit of an unnecessary post, don't you think?

    Dszady is a head case, and does these types of posts to
    others every once in awhile.

    --
    http://night2000.blogspot.com/

    Night2000, Sep 15, 2004