Subject: All Programs Display from Start Menu
From: "JaySeaSea" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 3/19/2004 12:35 PM Eastern Standard Time

When I click the All Programs button from the start menu,
the display is 4 Columns, but the right hand column is
only half a column width and therefore not all the
writing can be viewed. Is there a way that the whole
display can be "dragged" to the left so that all of all 4
column are visible? When more programs are added and a
fifth column required, will this be visible at all?

Any help would be appreciated

JaySeaSea
There are two ways to approach this.
1. Right-click in an empty area of the "Start Menu", select "Properties",
"Customize" and the "Advanced" tab. Then click "Scroll Programs"

2. Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Start Menu\Programs.
Create Folders and consolidate your program items into logical collections to
make the All Programs shorter. For instance, I have all my Office programs in
an "MS Office" folder, all games in another, etc.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

John Ski

From: "JaySeaSea" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 3/19/2004 12:35 PM Eastern Standard Time

When I click the All Programs button from the start menu,
the display is 4 Columns, but the right hand column is
only half a column width and therefore not all the
writing can be viewed. Is there a way that the whole
display can be "dragged" to the left so that all of all 4
column are visible? When more programs are added and a
fifth column required, will this be visible at all?

Any help would be appreciated

JaySeaSea
There's a 3rd option...increase the screen resolution, if possible. I'm at
1024x768 and have plenty of room for 4 columns.

John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Sharon F

When I click the All Programs button from the start menu,
the display is 4 Columns, but the right hand column is
only half a column width and therefore not all the
writing can be viewed. Is there a way that the whole
display can be "dragged" to the left so that all of all 4
column are visible? When more programs are added and a
fifth column required, will this be visible at all?

Any help would be appreciated

JaySeaSea

Another suggestion to add to those you've already received: The width of
the columns is determined by the longest name. Rename to shorter names to
reduce the width of the columns and, hopefully, to make room enough for the
4th one to display in its entirety.

Alex Nichol

JaySeaSea said:
When I click the All Programs button from the start menu,
the display is 4 Columns, but the right hand column is
only half a column width and therefore not all the
writing can be viewed. Is there a way that the whole
display can be "dragged" to the left so that all of all 4
column are visible?

The columns are set to be the width required to hold the longest name.
So look for long names and r-click, rename to something shorter.
Cutting Microsoft off the front of all the entries for 'Microsoft
Office' or 'Microsoft reference' for example

Also it would be well worth doing a bit of reorganisation. R-click the
Start button, take 'Open All Users', Open 'Programs' and make some
category folders (which will become sub-menus), eg 'Multimedia';
'Utilities' and drag things into them. Repeat at r-click Start and
simple Open