    I have to shut down and restart my computer. Once i restart and login my
    jobs print.

    Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

    TJ, Mar 30, 2008

  2. TJ

    Lem Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > I have been using the same printer for years. However my computer started
    > giving me messages stating i can not print. I can print out fine for a few
    > hours or a day, then all of a sudden it stops printing. It gives an error
    > message stating it can not print.
    >
    > I have to shut down and restart my computer. Once i restart and login my
    > jobs print.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

    Words matter. Please quote the exact text of any error messages you get.

    Other helpful information would be

    - What version of Windows you have and whether you have kept it up to
    date with Windows service packs and updates
    - What make and model of printer you have
    - How the printer is connected to the computer
    - What changed just before this problem started happening

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Mar 30, 2008

  3. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Sorry I should have included that information:

    I have windows xp. I believe the problem may have started happening when i
    downloaded the service pack 2.
    Printer is hp g86xi
    printer is connected straight to the computer

    TJ, Mar 30, 2008
  4. TJ

    Lem Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > Sorry I should have included that information:
    >
    > I have windows xp. I believe the problem may have started happening when i
    > downloaded the service pack 2.
    > Printer is hp g86xi
    > printer is connected straight to the computer
    >

    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> TJ wrote:
    >>> I have been using the same printer for years. However my computer started
    >>> giving me messages stating i can not print. I can print out fine for a few
    >>> hours or a day, then all of a sudden it stops printing. It gives an error
    >>> message stating it can not print.
    >>>
    >>> I have to shut down and restart my computer. Once i restart and login my
    >>> jobs print.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

    >> Words matter. Please quote the exact text of any error messages you get.
    >>
    >> Other helpful information would be
    >>
    >> - What version of Windows you have and whether you have kept it up to
    >> date with Windows service packs and updates
    >> - What make and model of printer you have
    >> - How the printer is connected to the computer
    >> - What changed just before this problem started happening
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

    You still left out the most important part: what does the error message
    say?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Mar 31, 2008
  5. TJ

    TJ Guest

    "this document failed to print"
    Document name - microsoft word refund report
    printer name: hp office jet g85xi
    time sent: 7:38:01am 3/31/08
    Click here to open the print queue and then for assistance, click
    troubleshooter on the help menu.

    I have done the troubleshooter to try and fix the problem but nothing works.
    The only thing that works is shutting down and restarting.

    I do not receive any type of error code

    Thanks!

    TJ, Mar 31, 2008
  6. TJ

    Lem Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > "this document failed to print"
    > Document name - microsoft word refund report
    > printer name: hp office jet g85xi
    > time sent: 7:38:01am 3/31/08
    > Click here to open the print queue and then for assistance, click
    > troubleshooter on the help menu.
    >
    > I have done the troubleshooter to try and fix the problem but nothing works.
    > The only thing that works is shutting down and restarting.
    >
    > I do not receive any type of error code
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> TJ wrote:
    >>> Sorry I should have included that information:
    >>>
    >>> I have windows xp. I believe the problem may have started happening when i
    >>> downloaded the service pack 2.
    >>> Printer is hp g86xi
    >>> printer is connected straight to the computer

    >> You still left out the most important part: what does the error message
    >> say?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

    Sorry, I can only make a general suggestion --
    see http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm

    Also see this hp support doc:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...1854&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=58305&lang=en
    short version: http://tinyurl.com/2cyanf

    Note (near the bottom of the hp support doc) that you can either use the
    hp drivers for XP or the built-in XP drivers, but only one or the other
    should be installed. Typically, the built-in XP drivers will provide
    only basic functions, so depending on what you use your g85 for, you
    may want to try these to see if they will work.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Mar 31, 2008
  7. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Thanks for the information. I have tried and worked for a couple days then
    today it did the same thing where it won't print and i have to shut down and
    restart.

    TJ, Apr 3, 2008
  8. TJ

    Lem Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > Thanks for the information. I have tried and worked for a couple days then
    > today it did the same thing where it won't print and i have to shut down and
    > restart.

    <snip>

    >> Sorry, I can only make a general suggestion --
    >> see http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm
    >>
    >> Also see this hp support doc:
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...1854&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=58305&lang=en
    >> short version: http://tinyurl.com/2cyanf
    >>
    >> Note (near the bottom of the hp support doc) that you can either use the
    >> hp drivers for XP or the built-in XP drivers, but only one or the other
    >> should be installed. Typically, the built-in XP drivers will provide
    >> only basic functions, so depending on what you use your g85 for, you
    >> may want to try these to see if they will work.

    If you cleaned out the driver and re-installed it and then things worked
    for a while ... and then they didn't, it sounds as if something is
    corrupting your driver. Try to pin it down by recalling what you did
    just before the problem started again.

    On general principles, what is the malware status of your machine? Have
    you done a thorough check for malware lately?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Apr 3, 2008
  9. TJ

    TJ Guest

    I'm sorry i have no idea what "malware" is. How do i do a check?

    Thanks so much for getting back to me!

    TJ, Apr 3, 2008
  10. TJ

    Lem Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > I'm sorry i have no idea what "malware" is. How do i do a check?
    >
    > Thanks so much for getting back to me!
    >

    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> TJ wrote:
    >>> Thanks for the information. I have tried and worked for a couple days then
    >>> today it did the same thing where it won't print and i have to shut down and
    >>> restart.
    >>>

    >> <snip>

    >> If you cleaned out the driver and re-installed it and then things worked
    >> for a while ... and then they didn't, it sounds as if something is
    >> corrupting your driver. Try to pin it down by recalling what you did
    >> just before the problem started again.
    >>
    >> On general principles, what is the malware status of your machine? Have
    >> you done a thorough check for malware lately?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

    Here's a definition:
    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Viruses_Malware

    and here's some good advice for dealing with it:

    I'm not saying that your problem is necessarily caused by a virus,
    spyware, or other malicious software, but

    - if you haven't kept your Windows current with "critical" Microsoft
    updates, patches, and services packs
    - if you don't have a recent (say, less than about 2 years old)
    antivirus application that you have kept regularly up-to-date
    - if you don't at least check for the sorts of malicious software that
    is *not* covered by antivirus applications
    - if you use file-sharing programs
    - if you surf to "questionable" web sites
    - you aren't careful about clicking on e-mail attachments

    etc., etc.,

    you *might* have some malicious software on your machine and it *might*
    be what's responsible for corrupting your printer driver.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Apr 4, 2008