All my pictures have disappeared.

valley

NoNoBadDog! said:
"valley" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

undefined

I've had my son's wedding pictures stored in My Pictures for about
three weeks. I was going to print them this morning and discovered
that all my pictures are gone. Before I discovered this, I had been
working with tech support from bellsouth to eliminate the Fast
Access/DSL installation page from popping up over and over and over
even when I was already connected.

Does anybody know what happened or how I can get my pictures back?

(e-mail address removed)

--
valley-

Did you do a search for the file extension that the photos are save
in?

For truly important photos, you should *NEVER*, and I repeat *NEVER
trust
them to your hard drive. After transferring them, you should *ALWAYS
and I
repeat *ALWAYS* burn them to a CD or DVD disc. If you did a restore i
is
possible that the folder has been deleted, and if that is wha
happened, it
is highly unlikely that you will get your photos back.

Bobby
I did a restore. No luck. Thanks, Valle

lvee

If you are referring to System Restore, that should not delete picture
folders. all the does is repair the system registry files that have been
damaged.
It's possible that you have a virus, worm, Trojan, or malware..disappearing
pictures is a somewhat common symptom of that.
It wouldn't hurt to look in your recycle bin.
To repeat Richard's question, 'what did Bellsouth have you do?
If you ran any /anti/ programs, it's possible that they were removed, but
still in the /anti/ programs backup files.

NoNoBadDog!

System Restore "generally" will not delete picture folders. However, I have
witnessed on more than one occasion when using System Restore in fact *DID*
delete folders that should not have been affected.

Op should first use Search for the file types that the photos were in...if
it finds them, he'll be lucky.

Bobby

lvee

Sure, I agree that on a rare occasion it's *possible* that it could happen,
just because I've never heard of it, doesn't make it so. :) But I would
think that folders on the desktop would be vulnerable, whereas My Pictures
folder would not...at least not from S.R.

But, now that I re-read the OP, it seems the pictures are gone, not the
folder.

NoNoBadDog! said:
System Restore "generally" will not delete picture folders. However, I
have witnessed on more than one occasion when using System Restore in fact
*DID* delete folders that should not have been affected.

Op should first use Search for the file types that the photos were in...if
it finds them, he'll be lucky.
And, if in fact, it was S.R., the OP can try to undue the last restore.

Bert Kinney

The best advise is to store important documents/image file on a partition other than the
one Windows is installed on, and NOT monitored by System Restore. And of course, backed up
and stored in a remote location.

I had all my pictures in a folder, I accidently deleted and sent to recycle
bin, which I emptied not knowing my folder was in there. Is there a way to
get the folder back. I am just sick about this. thanks for any help.

Hi Bert,
Well it worked to a point. Not all of my folder came back. And some of the
pictures say "file exists, but might be damaged". What does this mean?
thanks for your help.

Husky

Hi Bert,
Well it worked to a point. Not all of my folder came back. And some of the
pictures say "file exists, but might be damaged". What does this mean?
thanks for your help.

Means write everything down. Restore what's not damaged. then go back after
you've restored what works, and try to get the damaged ones. In some cases they
may still resemble an image though cut off at the bottom requiring cropping for
square.

Kevin Wood

There is a piece of software called "Don't Panic! Image Recall 3"
see the website http://www.imagerecall.com/
What might have happened is that the regestry might have been re-set, and
the computer no longer can reference the location of those pictures on your
hard drive. Unless the sectors of the disc where the pictures are stored
have actually been overwritten with new data, this software should be able
to recover recover them. Remember, deleting a file on the computer disc
only means deleting the reference to that file in the discs table of
contents so the computer considers that disc space to be free and available
to be overwritten. The actual data remains until it is actually
overwritten.
I hope this helps

KMW