    motherboard!

    Thanks

    , Jan 3, 2006

  2. Paul Guest

    In article <9c1ec$43bb0c36$48313371$>,
    wrote:

    > Does anyone know what kind of motherboard
    > Alienware uses and who makes it?
    >
    > I ask because I just ordered an Alienware Aurora 7500
    > it says it has a Alienware Nforce 4 motherboard .....
    > then, on a picture of it was the word "Asus"......
    >
    > I've heard Alienware was making their own mobo's now,
    > but that pic tells me it is an Asus. I am just curious,
    > what the equivalent Asus mobo is then ...
    >
    > All I know is that for $4000.00, it better have a good
    > motherboard!
    >
    > Thanks

    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/07/14/alienware_7800/2.html

    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

    "So, you're paying Alienware around £700 to build the system..."

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 4, 2006

  3. paul Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know what kind of motherboard
    > Alienware uses and who makes it?
    >
    > I ask because I just ordered an Alienware Aurora 7500
    > it says it has a Alienware Nforce 4 motherboard .....
    > then, on a picture of it was the word "Asus"......
    >
    > I've heard Alienware was making their own mobo's now,
    > but that pic tells me it is an Asus. I am just curious,
    > what the equivalent Asus mobo is then ...
    >
    > All I know is that for $4000.00, it better have a good
    > motherboard!
    >
    > Thanks

    Wow that's a lot of overhead to pay out to Alienware!
    You should consider building your own machines in the future.
    You can save a lot of money!

    paul, Jan 4, 2006
  4. pw Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 23:43:56 GMT, wrote:

    >Does anyone know what kind of motherboard
    >Alienware uses and who makes it?
    >
    >I ask because I just ordered an Alienware Aurora 7500
    >it says it has a Alienware Nforce 4 motherboard .....
    >then, on a picture of it was the word "Asus"......
    >
    >I've heard Alienware was making their own mobo's now,
    >but that pic tells me it is an Asus. I am just curious,
    >what the equivalent Asus mobo is then ...
    >
    >All I know is that for $4000.00, it better have a good
    >motherboard!
    >
    >Thanks

    The information sheet that came with my 7500 about a month ago (but I
    didn't max out like you did! I guess it's kind of a weenie Alienware
    system) says it was manufactured by ASUSTeK and is an A8N-SLI Deluxe.

    -pw

    use paul at williamsonenterprises dot com for e-mail

    pw, Jan 4, 2006

    On 3-Jan-2006, (Paul) wrote:

    > "So, you're paying Alienware around £700 to build the system..."

    I know ... I also know, that because I have M.S.
    I can't dig around inside a case and put it together
    myself.

    , Jan 4, 2006
  6. Paul Guest

    In article <82132$43bbc8d1$48313371$>,
    wrote:

    > On 3-Jan-2006, (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > > "So, you're paying Alienware around £700 to build the system..."

    > I know ... I also know, that because I have M.S.
    > I can't dig around inside a case and put it together
    > myself.

    One of the local computer stores in my city, would assemble
    a computer for $100 over the cost of the components. That included
    installing Windows on it, so there was more than screwdriver
    work done.

    The Alienware should be a work of art, and there is nothing wrong
    with having one - I guess I'm objecting to the degree of
    gouging involved here. At least now you know that if the
    machine doesn't work well, it is backed up by a £700
    investment in service.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 4, 2006

    On 3-Jan-2006, pw <> wrote:

    > I guess it's kind of a weenie Alienware system)

    I dont think I 'maxed' out the one I ordered, but it
    does have 4gb ram and 1tb disk space and an ATI
    x1800xl Video card (whichever one the 512mb one is)
    ... But, on the other hand, I didn't get an AMD "FX" CPU,
    just the 4200. And beleive it or not, the 4gb of ram was
    a mistake. I *THOUGHT* I was orderding it
    with only 1gb of ram, apparently I clicked on the wrong
    thing.

    Regardless of what you got, I would hardly call
    your 7500 a "weenie" system !!! ;)

    Thanks For the reply

    , Jan 4, 2006

    On 4-Jan-2006, (Paul) wrote:

    > The Alienware should be a work of art, and there is nothing wrong
    > with having one - I guess I'm objecting to the degree of
    > gouging involved here. At least now you know that if the
    > machine doesn't work well, it is backed up by a £700
    > investment in service.

    The sad part is that apparently the motherboard in my old
    system (a K8V) was defective all along, but I didnt really know
    it because it apparently worked fine all along, and the only problems
    it displayed were with a couple applications that wouldnt run on it.
    These being Iolo's System Mechanic's 'System Shield', and Panda
    Internet Security. Both of these applications worked perfectly
    BEFORE I installed the K8V, and I assumed it was just some
    incompatibilty between the board (or the 64 Bit CPU) and
    these applications, even tho both Panda and Iolo said there
    wasnt an incompatibility issue.

    Other than getting frequent hard drive errors (requiring running
    a chkdsk) , the system ran perfectly for the 2 years it was installed,
    and I always got very high benchmarking scores from PCPITSTOP,
    3dMark 2003 and 2005, and Sisoft Sandra and a couple other
    benchmark utils.

    It had 4 hard drives, 2 IDE and 2 Sata. Initially, the 2 sata's were
    installed in a non-raid set up. 3 months ago, all of a sudden the
    system gave me errors on hard disk, every day, with every boot.
    and reporting some corruption on either both, or one of the Sata
    disks. This was every day, so I switched the two Sata's to a JBOD
    array, and all of a sudden, NO errors of any kind in Event Viewer.

    Until bam, the whole system went a couple weeks ago, would not
    even boot. (would power up, then the display would go blank regardless
    of what if anything the system was doing at the time), Shortly thereafter,
    you couldnt even boot it with the Windows cd ... (Would always give an
    error about ntfs.sys, OR atapi.sys, OR config.sys missing).
    General consenses was either the motherboard or the powersupply
    went. Because of above issues, and my very deep trust of
    Antec Power supplies, I assume it was the motherboard.

    Pity, it was the first system I ever built. Had 2 gig ram, 2 dvdrw's,
    an AMD 3400 Cpu, the 4 hard drives, an Antec Tru Power 550 watt
    power supply, 5 cooling fans and seemed to run very well. (unless I screwed
    up
    the mobo during the install) I was pretty proud of myself. Everything
    was in, and seemed to be working fine (even tho it I will admit, looked
    like a spaghetti factory inside it) I patted myself on the back and
    figured not bad for a guy with a case of the 'shakes'!!!!!

    So this time, I said to hell with it, I am gonna just buy exactly
    what I want ....... I'll put the two dvdrw's and two of the harddrives
    into it, and everything else will be newly assembled at the factory.

    , Jan 4, 2006
  9. Gordon Scott Guest

    wrote:

    > On 3-Jan-2006, pw <> wrote:
    >
    > > I guess it's kind of a weenie Alienware system)

    > I dont think I 'maxed' out the one I ordered, but it
    > does have 4gb ram and 1tb disk space and an ATI
    > x1800xl Video card (whichever one the 512mb one is)
    > .. But, on the other hand, I didn't get an AMD "FX" CPU,
    > just the 4200. And beleive it or not, the 4gb of ram was
    > a mistake. I *THOUGHT* I was orderding it
    > with only 1gb of ram, apparently I clicked on the wrong
    > thing.
    >
    > Regardless of what you got, I would hardly call
    > your 7500 a "weenie" system !!! ;)
    >
    > Thanks For the reply

    Did you ever think of calling them and asking for 2 gigs instead of 4?
    Alienware is supposed to be renowned for their customer service. Post
    back and let us know.

    things i think suk already, XL video card and not an XT, 4 gigs of what
    ram exactly, with what timings?

    Gordon Scott, Jan 5, 2006

    On 5-Jan-2006, Gordon Scott <> wrote:

    > Did you ever think of calling them and asking for 2 gigs instead of 4?

    No, I decided to go ahead and get it then, being as the system was
    capable of 4, and I would just end up buying an additional 2 later and
    installing it, and hence, probably end up screwing up the system somehow.
    Tho I currently have 3 gigs of ram laying around here (1gb of Corsair XMS
    and 2gb of Crucial....all pc3200) I figured didnt want to risk a mismatch
    or something and end up screwing something up.

    I am betting the ram (timings) will be pretty good tho. All the order says,
    is "4 gb Low Latency Ram" .... the last time I ordered from Alienware
    and the order said something like that, it came with Corsair XMS Ram.
    (the previously mentioned 1gb Corsair XMS I mentioned)
    It is the xt video card I got, I couldnt remember. (thats why I specified
    "whichever one is the 512mb one")

    I am quite sure I could have changed the order from 4gb to 2gb if I wanted.
    I had already called them once and changed the cpu from a 3800 to the 4200,
    and had originally ordered with the stock NVidia video card and changed it
    to the ATI.

    Being as this is my second Alienware system, the other one was put together
    very well, the customer service was good, AND their web site has a good
    support
    section and a 'users forum' (where a user can not only exchange info/ideas
    with fellow users, but also ask 'tech support' type questions and have it be
    answered by Alienware techs.)

    I know you hear an occassional complaint from some disgruntled customer,
    but I can assure you there are a LOT more happy customers.

    Their biggest benefit as I see it? Alienware ALLOWS you (and will even
    assist
    you) upgrading their systems, putting your own parts in, etc.

    You never get "Oh, you put a tv card not bought from us in there? Sorry, we
    dont
    support that or your systen with that in it" (or they didnt use to anyway)
    I dont expect them to back the tv card I bought from somewhere else, but
    I do expect them to continue to back WHAT THEY SOLD ME.

    Guess I will find out if anything has changed when I get the system.

    (I am very happy to learn it has an Asus motherboard in it)

    , Jan 5, 2006
  11. PB Guest

    wrote:
    > On 3-Jan-2006, pw <> wrote:
    >
    >> I guess it's kind of a weenie Alienware system)

    > I dont think I 'maxed' out the one I ordered, but it
    > does have 4gb ram and 1tb disk space and an ATI
    > x1800xl Video card (whichever one the 512mb one is)
    > .. But, on the other hand, I didn't get an AMD "FX" CPU,
    > just the 4200. And beleive it or not, the 4gb of ram was
    > a mistake. I *THOUGHT* I was orderding it
    > with only 1gb of ram, apparently I clicked on the wrong
    > thing.
    >
    > Regardless of what you got, I would hardly call
    > your 7500 a "weenie" system !!! ;)
    >
    > Thanks For the reply

    Please post back how much RAM your system reports. Others have seen
    mixed amounts with remapping support and OS features.

    pb

    PB, Jan 7, 2006
  12. John Lewis Guest

    On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:26:51 GMT, wrote:

    >On 3-Jan-2006, pw <> wrote:
    >
    >> I guess it's kind of a weenie Alienware system)

    > I dont think I 'maxed' out the one I ordered, but it
    >does have 4gb ram and 1tb disk space and an ATI
    >x1800xl Video card (whichever one the 512mb one is)

    you do realise that if you are running WinXP 32-bit that you
    will only have a little over 3Gbytes available for your use ??
    An OS-related limitation.

    For the full 4 Gbytes to be available, you need to run
    Win XP 64 (or Linux... )

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jan 7, 2006
  13. abc Guest

    "pw" <> wrote in message

    >>I know you hear an occassional complaint from some disgruntled customer,
    >>but I can assure you there are a LOT more happy customers.
    >>
    >>Their biggest benefit as I see it? Alienware ALLOWS you (and will even
    >>assist
    >>you) upgrading their systems, putting your own parts in, etc.
    >>
    >>You never get "Oh, you put a tv card not bought from us in there? Sorry,
    >>we
    >>dont
    >>support that or your systen with that in it" (or they didnt use to
    >>anyway)
    >>I dont expect them to back the tv card I bought from somewhere else, but
    >>I do expect them to continue to back WHAT THEY SOLD ME.
    >>
    >>Guess I will find out if anything has changed when I get the system.
    >>
    >>(I am very happy to learn it has an Asus motherboard in it)

    > The latest PC World has results of users votes on what major PC
    > company has the best support, service, reliabiltiy, etc... and
    > Alienware is at the top or near there. Dell and other "reputable"
    > makers are at the bottom.
    >
    > Was nice to see that!

    Well that's what you pay a premium for.
    You basically pre-pay for the amount of time they think that they will need
    to spend on dealing with you in the future.

    abc, Jan 9, 2006
  14. signal64

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Isn't the extra cost for Alienware also for the guaranteed overclock?

    The choices for components (i.e. board, cpu, graphics, memory, cooling, etc, etc) are off the shelf, but are also chosen by how well they work at overclocked speeds. They do all the research, setup, tweaking, and build a nice case for it.

    Of course folks can build up a system and do the overclocking on their own, but thought Alienware's advantage is that it's guaranteed and takes the headaches out of doing so.

    Not that it justifies that much higher of a cost, but to some it's worth it.

    Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
    signal64, Mar 25, 2006