Advice sought on possible sli config

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This thread moved from V_R's GTX770 thread for reasons of consistency:

As you said it all has a knock on effect to previous cards. Get yaself another 560 in SLI and it'll be a beast

Sounds like a plan but... I've just checked ten suppliers and out of those only OCUK & Dabs are still stocking them as they're a discontinued model now. The two at OCUK are £149 each but this one at Dabs is £120.

http://www.dabs.com/products/gigaby...ess-hdmi-7HQB.html?q=GTX 560&src=16#usedstock

I wonder whether it would be compatible in an sli config with my existing EVGA 1Gb GTX560?

For £120 it may be worth an upgrade now, but would it give me a significant gain performance if it was compatible?

Don't know why I didn't think of it before tbh, but I have been looking to upgrade for the last coupla months.

My usual conclusion was for me to gain any worthwhile improvement I'd have to shell out in excess of £400.00. This sli thingie may be a good compromise. Views?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
This sli thingie may be a good compromise. Views?

may work, does the game say it does on the tin?

some games don't support sli

if it does, will it 'microstutter' or not?

can your ears stand the noise?

will you need to install aircon?

can you afford the electric?

do you have a 120mhz monitor?

oh, I take it we talking an upgrade for games?

I'm in a optimistic mood. :)

can I has your old stuff

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
may work, does the game say it does on the tin?

Which game? I'm talking about two different manufacturer's cards, that no doubt have slightly different spec, working together in sli. I don't know if they would.

some games don't support sli

This is true, not sure what I'd do about that, could turn off sli in BIOS I suppose but bit of a drag. Many games have option to turn on/off dual ards but presumably only those that support sli.

if it does, will it 'microstutter' or not?
I have not a clue.

can your ears stand the noise?

Yes. This machine runs very quiet (all case fans set to low and big Noctua cooler with 2 x low rev 120mm fans on it) another card wouldn't make much odds.

will you need to install aircon?

You wag you :)

can you afford the electric?

At this stage in life paying the elctric bill to play games is a justified expense as far as I'm concerned cos I rarely go out on the razzle and haven't had a holiday for at least five years.

do you have a 120mhz monitor?

Dunno. It's not listed in the spec so presumably not.

oh, I take it we talking an upgrade for games?

Sarcasm does not become you sir ;)

I'm in a optimistic mood. :)

Good. It's your round then :cheers:

can I has your old stuff

Sorry, but an sli config would mean an addition of one component with no parts becoming redundant.

Must admit I've never been keen on sli/crossfire but £120 would make for a cheap upgrade, so I'm wondering.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Which game? I'm talking about two different manufacturer's cards, that no doubt have slightly different spec, working together in sli. I don't know if they would.
I think it should be ok, iirc. Obviously matched cards would be preferable.

This is true, not sure what I'd do about that, could turn off sli in BIOS I suppose but bit of a drag. Many games have option to turn on/off dual cards but presumably only those that support sli.
I wouldn't worry about this too much, 99.9% of games support SLI theses days.

Thats just a 60Hz monitor Flops. :)

Must admit I've never been keen on sli/crossfire but £120 would make for a cheap upgrade, so I'm wondering.
After seeing the results of that FCAT study I'd rather have SLI over Crossfire... ;)