From: "Papa Karlov" <>
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.scanners
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 2:49 PM
Subject: Advice buying a new scanner, please

Hi there,

actually I'm using a Mustek 1200 SP scanner which has been my scanner
for years. I decided to buy a new scanner and I wonder if you can
help me taking a decision. I'm looking for something close to my old
Musty... thank u in advance

Papa Carlos

I previously had a Mustek 600, which was purchased in 96-97.
I had held off buying a scanner hoping to find something which would scan
microfiche. Gave up on that idea.

Bought a bottom line Canon D1250 for $50 and the difference between the
Mustek and Cannon is day and night.
The technology for both scanner and the software has changed over the years.
Anything you buy will be an improvement.
Some of these newer lower end scanners, however are only compatible with
specific systems (Mac or IBM) in their OCR software and you will need to be
careful in that regard.

Al

Hi there,

actually I'm using a Mustek 1200 SP scanner which has been my scanner
for years. I decided to buy a new scanner and I wonder if you can
help me taking a decission. I'm looking for something close to my old
Musty... thank u in advance

Papa Carlos

The Epson 3170 and the Microtek 6000 are both 3600 dpi scanners at the
lowest prices made by these companies. It seems like resolution is the
main difference between scanners, at least from what they will tell us
in the specs.