Advanced System Information - Error Log 5 pages long in 4 weeks

G

I started using this Dell "newly refurbished" Dimension 2400 March 16th and the Advanced Information Error Log continues to grow almost every couple of days until it now lists nearly 100 "Errors". They are identified by Source as follows

Source Number of error report
"Print" 1
"DCOM"
"System Error"
"DOT 4"
"PerfNet" 4
"Application n Hang" 1
"Perflib"
"Applicatio n Error"
"Dr Watson"
"Ci"
Yesterday, April 14th, Errors reported, were as follows

Date Source Descriptio
4/14/04 PerfNet Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned
Error code returned is in DWORD 0
4/14/04 Perflib The open procedure for service "WmiApRpi" in DLL
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmia prpl.dll" has taken longer than the
established wait time to complete. There may be a problem with this extensible
counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have bee
very busy when this call was attempted
4/14/04 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application hpovdx05.exe, version 1.4.23.0, hang module hpoipr07.dll,
version 4.5.0.512, hang address 0x00003db
4/14/04 Applicatio n Hang Fault bucket 0612054
4/14/04 PerfNet Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned
Error code returned is in DWORD 0
4/14/04 Perflib The open procedure for service "WmiApRpl" in DL
established wait time to complete. There may be a problem with this extensibl
counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have been bus
when this call was attempted

Does anybody understand what's going on and who can give me some idea whether there is any indication of anything I should be concerned about? I'm amazed at how fast these error reports are accumulating on a "newly refurbished" machine. I was not able to get any feeling from the Dell support person to whom I talked whether or not this indicates a problem or problems that should be dealt with. What if anything should I do about it? I asked about deleting the Log and was encouraged not to do so. I've been successful in forwarding some error reports to Microsoft but I understand they're just used for development

This is kind of long winded but I'd appreciate any guidance or ideas. Thanks

A

AnnonUser

Reknil said:
I started using this Dell "newly refurbished" Dimension 2400 March 16th and the Advanced Information Error Log continues to grow almost every couple of days until it now lists nearly 100 "Errors". They are identified by Source as follows:

Source Number of error reports
"Print" 15
"DCOM" 7
"System Error" 2
"DOT 4" 1
"PerfNet" 43
"Application n Hang" 14
"Perflib" 7
"Applicatio n Error" 5
"Dr Watson" 3
"Ci" 3
Yesterday, April 14th, Errors reported, were as follows:

Date Source Description
4/14/04 PerfNet Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned.
Error code returned is in DWORD 0.
4/14/04 Perflib The open procedure for service "WmiApRpi" in DLL
counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have been
very busy when this call was attempted.
4/14/04 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application hpovdx05.exe, version 1.4.23.0, hang module hpoipr07.dll,
version 4.5.0.512, hang address 0x00003db9
4/14/04 Applicatio n Hang Fault bucket 06120545
4/14/04 PerfNet Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned.
Error code returned is in DWORD 0.
4/14/04 Perflib The open procedure for service "WmiApRpl" in DLL
counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have been busy
when this call was attempted.

Does anybody understand what's going on and who can give me some idea whether there is any indication of anything I should be concerned about? I'm amazed at how fast these error reports are accumulating on a "newly refurbished" machine. I was not able to get any feeling from the Dell support person to whom I talked whether or not this indicates a problem or problems that should be dealt with. What if anything should I do about it? I asked about deleting the Log and was encouraged not to do so. I've been successful in forwarding some error reports to Microsoft but I understand they're just used for development.

This is kind of long winded but I'd appreciate any guidance or ideas. Thanks.
I don't claim to be an expert in the area, but I have many errors in the
Event Viewer and no problems. Do you know that you can double click on
an event and get an information screen? It might help you to track the
problems and better decide whether or not to pursue it with Dell.

Ask a Question