ADSL modems-which one!!!

Reaction score
I am going Broadband on 10th December and have chosen my ISP but need some help witht he faithful ASDL modems.

only one computer so do I get a modem or a modem/router incase of future upgrades?

Any recommendations on a manufacturer and model?

How many filters do I need for a phone, one computer and a digibox?

Any ideas where I can purchase all of the above.

thanks

Reaction score
Your DSL provider should provide you with a modem or at least let you "rent" one for a couple of bucks a month. I'd go with whatever they give you.

How likely it is that you will have more than one PC in the next year will determine if you should go ahead and get a router now.

I never really noticed any difference with or without the filters when I had DSL, but you would need one for every phone or other device (answering machine, tivo, etc...) connected to your line besides your PC.

Nor

Reaction score
You will need a filter for every item of telephony in the house.

if you are plugging ur pc into the same filter as the phone then thats 1, but u will also need a filter for ur digibox so 2 in total. But if ur plugging ur pc into a socket thats not the same as ur phone then u will need 3.

As for adsl modems a router is a good investment. I use the solwise sar715 for just one computer and when i take a laptop home i can plug it in aswell, dead handy. I hear the netgear 4port switch/router is good as well.

for the solwise router www.solwise.co.uk
for the netgear run a search on google for netgear and find the cheapest, ebay is good aswell.

Nor

Ask a Question