administrator

Smowk

in message

ComputerA
AdministratorA

ComputerB
AdminstratorB

You already have Administrator accounts. He's not saying create any,
just make the passwords the same, workgroup the same, windows
networking, map a drive in both directions and bingo, you're cooking
over an open fire.

i realize what he's saying, just wondering if there was a way around it
without making the passwords the same, or changing the name of the
administrator acct.

Bob I

read this very carefully

Create the SAME account/password combination on BOTH PC's

no other choice

John John

And don't muck about with the system Administrator account! You don't
want to find yourself without or with a corrupt administrator system
account! Cause then you'll be screwed to high hell.

John

Roland Hall

in message : And don't muck about with the system Administrator account! You don't
: want to find yourself without or with a corrupt administrator system
: account! Cause then you'll be screwed to high hell.

John's a worry wart. I can get into any system in seconds if I have
physical access but you shouldn't use the administrator's account.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Roland Hall

in message
: :
: > "Smowk" wrote in message
: > : >
: > ComputerA
: > AdministratorA
: >
: > ComputerB
: > AdminstratorB
: >
:
: i realize what he's saying, just wondering if there was a way around it
: without making the passwords the same, or changing the name of the
: administrator acct.

Yes, which is what I have been saying.

Ex.
My server has an Administrator account and it is on a different domain than
my workstation, with a different password.
To access it from my workstation, I can pass credentials when mapping a
drive.
From the command line, I type this: (domain and password are generic to
protect the guilty)

net use * \\servername\c$ password /u:domain\administrator

The password and account are for my server, not the workstation I am mapping
from.

If I want it to be a permanent mapping, or one that I have to manually
remove, then I add this to the end:

/persistent:yes

That gives me:

net use * \\servername\c$ password /u:domain\administrator /persistent:yes

In your scenario, my workstation would be computerB and my server would be
computerA.

net use * \\computerA\c$ password /u:computerA\administrator

or

net use * \\computerA\c$ password /u:computerA\administrator /persistent:yes

Now, substitute A for B and map from the other system. Done!

Is this a good security measure? No.
Will it work? Yes.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */
Online Support for IT Professionals -
http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/technet/default.asp?fr=0&sd=tech
How-to: Windows 2000 DNS:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308201
FAQ W2K/2K3 DNS:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291382

Roland Hall

: read this very carefully
:
: Create the SAME account/password combination on BOTH PC's
:
: no other choice

Oh contraire.

--