"admin" could not make entries in registry ...

Polaris

Hi:

It happens to a few Windows XP users: the user is an admin, but could not
manually make new entries under to registry keys below (using regedit.exe):

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce, and
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Scanned for virus but it made no difference. Any thought is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Polaris

Steven L Umbach

Check to make sure that administrators and system has read and full control
permissions to those keys. Maybe they were locked down as a precaution
against malware. --- Steve

Crouchie1998

Why are you posting XP questions in the Windows 2000 newsgroup?

Check permission settings of the keys you are trying to read/write, but my
guess is that its more operating system permissions

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

P.S. Is Polaris, Polish?

Mark V

In said:
Why are you posting XP questions in the Windows 2000 newsgroup?

Check permission settings of the keys you are trying to
read/write, but my guess is that its more operating system
permissions

And to which of the groups are you referring?

Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.win2000.re
gistry,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.security

Post/Follow-ups set: microsoft.public.win2000.registry

Registry questions on NT 5.x are traditionally handled here it seems.

My question for the OP is why so many groups?

My first thought is "registry protection application or procedure"
that has locked, intercepted or otherwise restricted certain "Run"
keys. FWIW

Parker

Maybe you better look again Crouchie, The newsgroup I see says
windowsxp.security_admin

Tom Pepper Willett

Parker: It was crossposted to some windows 2000 newsgroups.

Tom
| Maybe you better look again Crouchie, The newsgroup I see says
| windowsxp.security_admin

Polaris

Thanks guys. We checked and the admin does have "Full" control permission as
indicated by regedit.exe.

We have just found out that theSpySweeper is the cause. Once the SpySweeper
is killed, everything is fine.

Take care and thanks for your input.

Polaris (name of a star...)

Crouchie1998

I am using Outlook Express & the newsgroup I have is
microsoft.public.windows2000.registry

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE