    There must be some way to do it, as I've seen several
    scientific presentations at conferences that portray
    individual data points with differing error bars...

    Guest, Dec 16, 2003

    Tushar Mehta Guest

    Calculate whatever error values you want in a worksheet range
    (different columns for + errors and for - errors).

    Then, on the chart, double click the plotted series, and in the
    resulting dialog box, click the Y Error Bars tab. Towards the bottom
    there is a 'Custom' option. Select it and specify the ranges for the +
    and/or - errors.

    --
    Regards,

    Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <151ae01c3c408$433a9100$>,
    says...

    Tushar Mehta, Dec 16, 2003

    Andy Pope Guest

    Select the data series and press CTRL+1 to display the format dialog.
    On the error bars tab you should find the options to use;
    Fixed value
    Percentage
    Standard deviations
    Standard error
    Custom + and or -

    The custom boxes can be used to reference cell values.

    wrote:
    > Excel Help says you can add error bars to different data
    > SERIES in a chart, but says nothing about individual data
    > points. Invariably each data point is going to have a
    > different standard error, but I'm having trouble figuring
    > out how to do this. Has anyone else had this problem?
    > There must be some way to do it, as I've seen several
    > scientific presentations at conferences that portray
    > individual data points with differing error bars...

    --

    Cheers
    Andy

    http://www.andypope.info