Adding a user to to the Domain Admin Group of a child domain.

Hi friends.

I am confused and frustrated. Need your help.

I have a parent domain in mix mode. I have added a child domain, it is in
native mode.

I am trying to add a user in parent domain to the "domain admin" group in
the child domain. The thing I am trying to achieve is that the IT users in
parent domain are domain admins and they should also have domain admin
permissions to the child domain.

Can you please help me. It is very very confusing. Appreciate your help.

Thanks
IK

Paul McGuire

add them to the enterprise admin group and they will have admin rights in
parent domain as well in the child domain in the same forest

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Domain Admins is a global group and its members cannot be user accounts or
global groups from other domains. This is why we cannot add a parent domain
user to the child domain's Domain Admins group. Instead, we add the parent
domain's user to the child domain's Administrators domain local group in
the "Builtin" container.

For more information, please refer to:

326265 Description of the Group Scopes That You Can Use to Help Secure
Active
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326265

I hope the above information helps. Thanks, and have a great day!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "Paul McGuire" <paulmcguire@_nospam_hotmail.com>
|Subject: Re: Adding a user to to the Domain Admin Group of a child domain.
|Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:44:11 -0600
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
|add them to the enterprise admin group and they will have admin rights in
|parent domain as well in the child domain in the same forest

|--
|HTH
|
|Paul McGuire
|

|> Hi friends.
|>
|> I am confused and frustrated. Need your help.
|>
|> I have a parent domain in mix mode. I have added a child domain, it is in
|> native mode.
|>
|> I am trying to add a user in parent domain to the "domain admin" group in
|> the child domain. The thing I am trying to achieve is that the IT users
in
|> parent domain are domain admins and they should also have domain admin
|> permissions to the child domain.
|>
|> Can you please help me. It is very very confusing. Appreciate your help.
|>
|> Thanks
|> IK

Thanks Joe for your reply. It was helpful.

The other problem is how can I get them rigths on the machines part of the
child domain. Normally Domain Admin by default is part of Local
Administrators group. Any good ideas?

Thanks
IK

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your prompt response.

You are asking a very good question. To do so, we can add the following
command to add a user (from the parent domain) to the local Administrators
group:

net localgroup administrators DoaminName/UserName /add

For example, we can configure Startup Script (Computer
Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)) in Default
Domain Policy.

This method worked well in my test machines.

Please let me know if anything is unclear. Thanks and have a nice day!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: <[email protected]>
|Subject: Re: Adding a user to to the Domain Admin Group of a child domain.
|Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 11:42:03 -0800
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
|Thanks Joe for your reply. It was helpful.
|
|The other problem is how can I get them rigths on the machines part of the
|child domain. Normally Domain Admin by default is part of Local
|Administrators group. Any good ideas?
|
|Thanks
|IK
|

||> Hello,
|>
|> Thank you for your post.
|>
|> Domain Admins is a global group and its members cannot be user accounts
or
|> global groups from other domains. This is why we cannot add a parent
|domain
|> user to the child domain's Domain Admins group. Instead, we add the
parent
|> domain's user to the child domain's Administrators domain local group in
|> the "Builtin" container.
|>
|> For more information, please refer to:
|>
|> 326265 Description of the Group Scopes That You Can Use to Help Secure
|> Active
|> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326265
|>
|> I hope the above information helps. Thanks, and have a great day!
|>
|> Regards,
|> Joe Wu
|> Product Support Services
|> Microsoft Corporation
|>
|> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
|>
|> ====================================================
|> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
|> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
|> ====================================================
|> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
|rights.
|>
|> --------------------
|> |From: "Paul McGuire" <paulmcguire@_nospam_hotmail.com>
|> |Subject: Re: Adding a user to to the Domain Admin Group of a child
|domain.
|> |Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:44:11 -0600
|> |Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
8
|> phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
|> |
|> |add them to the enterprise admin group and they will have admin rights
in
|> |parent domain as well in the child domain in the same forest
|> |
|> |--
|> |HTH
|> |