add/remove programmes failure

Dimitris Milakis

Dear all,

I made some changes in the windows registry in order to remove
manually
Norton Internet Security Software. After that, when i open control
panel-add/remove programs, there is nothing in it and i can't make any
changes to programs. At the top of the window of add/remove programs
appears that "change or remove programs add new programs add/remove
windows components set program access and defaults" and the rest of
the window is grey and white. My pc runs win2000 sp4.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem. I' ll appreciate any
contribution.

Dimitris Milakis

Mik

Dimitris,

Dear oh dear - it sounds like you've done some serious damage.
Serious enough for me not to even attempt trying to help you via
newsgroup other than the following :

1) Install/Re-install Win2000 SP4 - that may just get you out of it
:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;sp

2) If not, then re-install Win2000 Pro/Server on top of existing
install and then re-install Service Pack 4.

Most importantly, in future, if you experience problems removing
Norton security products, the following two utilities are invaluable
in properly cleaning the registry - it will save you your current
predicament :

Remove Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier versions COMPLETELY.
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe

Remove Norton Internet Security 2003/Norton Personal Firewall 2003 or
earlier COMPLETELY
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...9688256abe00615e20/$FILE/ATTKLEXN/RnisUPG.exe

Mik

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (Dimitris Milakis)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Subject: add/remove programmes failure
Date: 16 Apr 2004 06:01:46 -0700

Dear all,

I made some changes in the windows registry in order to remove
manually
Norton Internet Security Software. After that, when i open control
panel-add/remove programs, there is nothing in it and i can't make any
changes to programs. At the top of the window of add/remove programs
appears that "change or remove programs add new programs add/remove
windows components set program access and defaults" and the rest of
the window is grey and white. My pc runs win2000 sp4.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem. I' ll appreciate any
contribution.

Dimitris Milakis
-----

Dimitris,

Before you try Mik's suggestions I would run the following commands from a Command Prompt to see if they resolve the
issue.

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\oledb32.dll"
regsvr32 C:\WINNT\system32\appwiz.cpl
regsvr32 C:\WINNT\system32\mshtml.dll

Of course you'll need to use the correct path to the files for your system.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Dimitris Milakis

Mik said:
[...]

Dear Mik and Bill,

Thank you very much for your advices. I run the commands that Bill
wrote but nothing changed. I haven't tried yet what Mik suggested
beacause i found on internet a software named "add/remove 4good"
(wwww.4dev.com) which seems to work as an alternative to control
panel-add/remove programs. I can make changes to any program i want
now. Do you think that this is a good solution or i have to go on with
the reinstallation of win200 sp4 like Mik suggested.Thanks again.

Dimitris Milakis

Mik

Dimitris,

I will not answer your question directly, but you'll understand why, I
think.

If this was my PC I would not happy that "Add/Remove Programs" is
not working. If it is not working, especially after Bill's
suggestion, what guarantee have I got that there isn't something else
that has gone wrong too ? OK, I have this product to replace
"Add/Remove Programs", but by ignoring trying to fix this problem am I
storing problems for myself because that may just be the tip of the
iceberg ? On a secondary level, when you are talking about something
as fundamental as "Add/Remove Programs", by using this 3rd party
product would I be exposing myself to that 3rd party product being
broken by one of the future "Windows updates" I might do ?

That's my view.

Mik

Dimitris Milakis

Mik said:
[...]

I think that your opinion is totally right. Yesterday i went on with
the windows registry cleaning from Norton Antivirus too. I downloaded
and ran Rnav2003.exe as you had suggested. Now everything works fine.
Thanks again.

Dimitris Milakis

Mik

Great Stuff, and a lucky man !