add Remove in control panel

Riccony

I am using XP Pro and had a problem so I did a system restore. Went back 2
days and since then I when I go to the control panel to remove an ap I get
as far as please wait while list is being populated. After that nothing
happens.

Is there a way to get on with it or is there another program that will
accomplish the same thing?

Tnx Ric

Twayne

Riccony said:
I am using XP Pro and had a problem so I did a system restore. Went
back 2 days and since then I when I go to the control panel to remove
an ap I get as far as please wait while list is being populated.
After that nothing happens.

Is there a way to get on with it or is there another program that will
accomplish the same thing?

Tnx Ric

There are other programs such as addremove pro, but ... you need to fix
the problem you currently have, not work around it. The problem is
likely a symptom of a bigger problem somewhere in the system that hasn't
reared its ugly head yet.
Are you giving it plenty of time to populate the window? Sometimes
on a slow machine it can take up to a minute or so if there are a lot of
installed programs plus you have it set to show all the updates too.
It's a lot of data to gather up.

HTH,

Twayne

Ron Badour

What problem lead to the system restore?

Do you regularly check your system for malware? Anti-Malware 1.33, which is
a great, free program, can be downloaded from here:

http://www.download.com/Malwarebyte...l-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=10997763

Add/remove is just a central index for programs' uninstall files. If you go
to an unwanted program's installation folder, you should find an uninstall
file (it may be named unwise.exe).

You could check using the registry editor to make sure the data for the
add/remove screen is still in the registry. Here's the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

--
Regards

Ron Badour
MS MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

Cathy

Ron Badour:

I have been working on this problem for a week! I had to restore my system
after uninstalling Norton Ghost and Norton 360 v 2.0 as they were in conflict
with the internet provider's virus protection. I successfully uninstalled
all of the software, then had to restore the system to the day before I had
installed the Norton software.

I appreciate the malware software and did find a lot of them; however, even
after cleaning and trying everything you suggested (regsvr32 appwiz.cpl and
checking the HKEY) I still have this problem. Additionally, it is impossible
to see the properties in "MyComputer" because it just says "not responding."
HELP!

Thank you!

Cathy

bribiec

Cathy;3278773 said:
[...]

:
-

http://tinyurl.com/acu6ph

"Riccony" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
I am using XP Pro and had a problem so I did a system restore. Went
back 2
days and since then I when I go to the control panel to remove an ap I
get
as far as please wait while list is being populated. After that
nothing
happens.

Is there a way to get on with it or is there another program that
will
accomplish the same thing?

Tnx Ric

-

-

HI Ric, I dont want you to get into further problems , but i use revo
unistaller which is free, but you must make sure you only delete the
bold writing, it is self explanatory...It will clean up any junk that
is left behind which is more than the add/remove programme will do..
Regards,
bribiec