Add/Remove Desktop Icons Remotely

James S. Borg

Is there a way for me to remotely Add and Remove desktop Shortcuts from the
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop folder on Windows XP Desktops.

We are an AD Environment Windows 2000 and 2003 Servers, Windows XP Desktops.
All users run as restricted users.

We have a shortcut in the all users desktop that we need to change. Our
users cannot change it themselves because they are restricted and I would
like to avoid visiting every workstation to make the change. We also would
like to include a custom icon for the shortcut, this icon would ideally be
placed in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.

I thought that we may be able to do this with a logon script but I am being
told by our network engineer that login scripts can not run with the
necessary credentials to perform this task.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
James Borg

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that you want to manage the desktop icon on the workstations
in a domain.

Based on my experience I suggest you use folder redirection domain policy
to redirect the desktop of each workstations and manage the folder on the
network share by administrator.

Please refer to the following article:

232692 Folder Redirection feature in Windows
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;232692>

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan