    I have Adaware free installed. It will not let me uninstall it. It just
    flashes once and stays there. How can I uninstall it? Thank you
    James

    jwmtx, Feb 10, 2010

  2. jwmtx

    williamtell Guest

    Eh!
    Your at a windows xp ng, contact Lavasoft with your Adaware problem!

    williamtell, Feb 10, 2010

  3. jwmtx

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    "jwmtx" <> wrote in message
    >I have Adaware free installed. It will not let me uninstall it. It just
    > flashes once and stays there. How can I uninstall it? Thank you
    > James

    Try this.

    Windows Installer CleanUp Utility:
    http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Installer_CleanUp_Utility_d4459.html
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP [Mail]

    Bruce Hagen, Feb 10, 2010
  4. jwmtx

    glee Guest

    glee, Feb 10, 2010
  5. jwmtx

    VanguardLH Guest

    jwmtx wrote:

    > I have Adaware free installed. It will not let me uninstall it. It just
    > flashes once and stays there. How can I uninstall it? Thank you
    > James

    Start here:

    http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/manuals/ad_aware/ad_aware_manual.pdf

    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

    Also, it's possible the new dialog window is hiding under another window.
    Did you close all applications (so they have no windows open) and then run
    their uninstaller? If there are other windows left open, tried moving them
    off the side to see if the new dialog window was underneath?

    Tried disabling/exiting their program or any remnant processes for it before
    running their uninstaller?

    VanguardLH, Feb 10, 2010
  6. jwmtx

    jwmtx Guest

    Yes, I have tried all these things mentioned without success. On my "add-
    remove" program it shows Adaware using 29 mb of space but it's folder is
    empty. How can I remove this entry on the programs listed? Thank you, James

    jwmtx, Feb 11, 2010
  7. jwmtx

    jwmtx Guest

    Bruce, I did try that and a couple of others with no success. It seems that
    the adaware is only on my programs menu where it says it is using 27 mb of
    space. The Adaware folder shows empty and has been deleted, but it still
    shows on my programs. any Ideas? Thanks very much for your help. James

    jwmtx, Feb 11, 2010
  8. jwmtx

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    Google results:

    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=24927

    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP [Mail]

    Bruce Hagen, Feb 11, 2010
  9. jwmtx

    glee Guest

    I already gave you the link to the remover here:
    http://www.appremover.com/opswat-appremover-thoroughly-remove-your-security-applications

    It specifically lists Ad-Aware as one of the applications it has been
    tested with repeatedly:
    http://www.appremover.com/supported-applications

    The program has been recommended to me by people who work for some of
    the major anti-virus companies, as an alternative uninstaller in
    situations just like this.

    I really do not understand why you choose to ignore it.
    Good luck.....
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
    A+

    glee, Feb 11, 2010
  10. jwmtx

    jwmtx Guest

    Mr. Glee, I did not ignore it. I downloaded it and ran it but with no
    success. My problem still exist. James

    jwmtx, Feb 11, 2010
  11. jwmtx

    jwmtx Guest

    I have triedd that. It did not work for me. I also did not ignore Mr. Glees
    suggestion. It didn't work either. I am at a loss but I thank all of your for
    your help. James

    jwmtx, Feb 11, 2010
  12. jwmtx

    VanguardLH Guest

    jwmtx wrote:

    > I have triedd that. It did not work for me. I also did not ignore Mr. Glees
    > suggestion. It didn't work either. I am at a loss but I thank all of your for
    > your help. James

    From Googling around, one solution is to reinstall and then uninstall
    AdAware. Tried that yet?

    If that doesn't work, see if the non-existent program is listed in
    Microsoft's "Windows Installer CleanUp" utility. That doesn't do an
    uninstall. It merely lets you remove items in the Add/Remove Programs list
    (rather than you having to delete the subkey under the Uninstall registry
    key).

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

    VanguardLH, Feb 11, 2010
  13. jwmtx

    Jose Guest

    On Feb 11, 1:30 am, jwmtx <> wrote:
    > I have triedd that. It did not work for me. I also did not ignore Mr. Glees
    > suggestion. It didn't work either. I am at a loss but I thank all of yourfor
    > your help. James
    >

    > "jwmtx" wrote:
    > > Yes, I have tried all these things mentioned without success. On my "add-
    > > remove" program it shows Adaware using 29 mb of space but it's folder is
    > > empty. How can I remove this entry on the programs listed? Thank you, James

    > > > Start here:

    > > >http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/manuals/ad_aware/ad_awa....

    > > >http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

    > > > Also, it's possible the new dialog window is hiding under another window.
    > > > Did you close all applications (so they have no windows open) and then run
    > > > their uninstaller?  If there are other windows left open, tried moving them
    > > > off the side to see if the new dialog window was underneath?

    > > > Tried disabling/exiting their program or any remnant processes for itbefore
    > > > running their uninstaller?
    > > > .

    You could reinstall and try the uninstall again and that will probably
    work, but I try not to deal in probabilities.

    What you see in Add/Remove programs comes from individual entries in
    the registry.

    There is no undo or quit without saving option in the registry editor,
    so before you make
    changes, backup your registry with this free tool called ERUNT:

    To open the registry editor, click Start, Run and in the box enter:

    regedit

    Click OK.

    Using regedit, navigate here:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    There is a lot of stuff in the Uninstall folder and what you see under
    it may not be
    obvious unless you scroll through them one by one. Start looking
    through the list
    on the left and you will start to see things you recognize.

    Not everything you see under the Uninstall folder will show up in Add/
    Remove Programs, but
    everything you see in Add/Remove Programs will show up under the
    Uninstall folder.

    As you land on each entry in the Uninstall folder on the left, on the
    right hand side is
    the contents of the registry key for each installed program.

    Find some Uninstall folders with names you recognize. You will see
    some values under Uninstall
    that have an information value on the right called DisplayName. That
    is what you see in
    Add/Remove Programs.

    You may also see an entry called UninstallString. That is what will
    get run when you click the
    Remove button in Add/Remove programs. There is a lot of other
    interesting information that will
    start to make sense from what you see in Add/Remove Programs.

    You will have some things under the Uninstall folder that may not
    appear to make sense
    or not have much information under them on the right hand side. Just
    leave these alone unless
    you know what the are.

    If you installed ERUNT, it will show up in Add/Remove programs and you
    also now be able to find
    the ERUNT program in the list of Uninstall folders on the left and see
    the DisplayName and
    UninstallString for ERUNT on the right.

    You can search for an entry under the Uninstall folder to help you
    find things that you see in
    Add/Remove Programs. In regedit, click and highlight the Uninstall
    folder on the left hand side,
    then click Edit, Find and search for the program name you see
    displayed in Add/Remove Programs and
    you will be taken right to the entry. You may land on the DisplayName
    value on the right and can
    see that the appropriate Uninstall folder will be open on the left.

    If you are convinced the program is uninstalled after looking on your
    hard disk and the
    entry still shows up in Add/Remove programs, it can be deleted from
    the Uninstall list in the registry
    by right clicking the folder in the Uninstall list and choosing
    delete. You will not see
    the program listed in Add/Remove Programs again. Deleting a value
    under Uninstall is not the
    way to uninstall a program - it will just remove it from the Add/
    Remove Programs list.

    You can also export the appropriate Uninstall key to a file before
    deleting it. If something goes
    wrong, you can import the file later to replace just the registry key
    you accidentally deleted. That
    will not reinstall the program, but it will show up again in Add/
    Remove Programs.

    Jose, Feb 11, 2010
  14. jwmtx

    jwmtx Guest

    Jose, I did reinstall the program and the uninstall it and it did remove all
    traces from my programs. I thank you and all the others for your help. James

    jwmtx, Feb 11, 2010
  15. jwmtx

    Jose Guest

    On Feb 11, 2:17 pm, jwmtx <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > see that the appropriate Uninstall folder will be open on the left.

    > > If you are convinced the program is uninstalled after looking on your
    > > hard disk and the
    > > entry still shows up in Add/Remove programs, it can be deleted from
    > > the Uninstall list in the registry
    > > by right clicking the folder in the Uninstall list and choosing
    > > delete.  You will not see
    > > the program listed in Add/Remove Programs again.  Deleting a value
    > > under Uninstall is not the
    > > way to uninstall a program - it will just remove it from the Add/
    > > Remove Programs list.

    > > You can also export the appropriate Uninstall key to a file before
    > > deleting it.  If something goes
    > > wrong, you can import the file later to replace just the registry key
    > > you accidentally deleted.  That
    > > will not reinstall the program, but it will show up again in Add/

    Good job.

    I decided to write down some general purpose copy/paste instructions
    for this problem since I have 'splained it more than twice

    Jose, Feb 11, 2010