Adaptec 2940 U2W /w Asus P5GD1 help

The Guy

This board will not give me to option to boot from any one of my 3 SCSI CD
roms. I also have two 9 gig SCSI hard drives and a SATA 16 gig hard drive.
The boot options menu in CMOS shows only my 3 hard disks as boot options.
When I disconnect all three HD's , the only boot option that shows up is the
floppy drive. I need to reinstall windows badly, anyone have any ideas??

Mercury

Have you got the boot rom in the scsi card enabled?
Without this enabled, boot options will not appear.

H. Brown

This board will not give me to option to boot from any one of my 3 SCSI CD
roms. I also have two 9 gig SCSI hard drives and a SATA 16 gig hard drive.
The boot options menu in CMOS shows only my 3 hard disks as boot options.
When I disconnect all three HD's , the only boot option that shows up is the
floppy drive. I need to reinstall windows badly, anyone have any ideas??

Also check that you are running the latest BIOS on your SCSI card and CD-ROM
devices. I had a no-boot issue until I updated to AHA-2940U2W BIOS v2.57.2
dated 8 June 2000 (available at adaptec.com), and I needed to update a CD-ROM
BIOS as well.

HTH

The Guy

Thanks guys, I do have the BIOS enabled and I did upgrade it to the version
you mentioned, which is most current. I get the option to select a SCSI CD
ROM as a boot device now, but now the system just hangs witha blank screen
where it would normally say press any key to boot from CD ROM. I'll play
with it a bit more to see if I can get it working.

Thanks

The Guy

Well, I upgraded everything (SCSI BIOS, firmware of one optical drive) but
was unable to find firmware for either of my two toshiba drives. Not sure
if that is the problem or not. All three drives will now who a bootable CD
ROM in the drive on startup, but the system hangs with a blinking cursor
right when "Press and key to boot from CD ROM" whould appear.

Any thoughts?

Tim

cabling. termination?
Overlapping SCSI ID's?

The Guy said:
Well, I upgraded everything (SCSI BIOS, firmware of one optical drive) but
was unable to find firmware for either of my two toshiba drives. Not sure
if that is the problem or not. All three drives will now who a bootable
CD
ROM in the drive on startup, but the system hangs with a blinking cursor
right when "Press and key to boot from CD ROM" whould appear.

Any thoughts?

The Guy

I thought of that too, the problem is that I am using the exact same setp
that I used with my old machine, in fact, all I did literally, was unplug my
old MOBO (an ABIT IS7 Intel 865) and take it out and plug the new board in
with cpu and ram in. I didn't even uplug the cables from the scsi card and
it was working perfectly for 2 years before this. Very puzzling.

Eric Gisin

Funny, both my 2940 UW and U2W are 3.10. The URL for them is posted every few months in comp*scsi.

H. Brown

Funny, both my 2940 UW and U2W are 3.10. The URL for them is posted every few months in comp*scsi.

It seems Adaptec has made v.3.1 "publically available" essentially at the
bottom of a locked filing cabinet downstairs in a disused lavatory with a sign
on the door "Beware of the Leopard."

H. Brown

Funny, both my 2940 UW and U2W are 3.10. The URL for them is posted every few months in comp*scsi.

I can only find the link to the 2940UW. I need the link to the 2940U2W
version.

TIA

The Guy

I would like that link as well if anone has it. So am I to understand v3.1
was not officially released by adaptec or what?

Eric Gisin

The Guy said:
I would like that link as well if anone has it. So am I to understand v3.1
was not officially released by adaptec or what?
It was found on Adaptec's site, probably in europe. It is not supported, but
seems to work fine.

I have posted it to news:comp.binaries.ibm.pc

The Guy

Well, I would say thanks a million, but for some reason outlook express will
only let me look at the latest 500 headers from the 30,000+ in that
particular group, so I can't see your post. Is there any reason why you
can't post it here?

Mercury

Try tools menu, Get Next 300 Headers.You can set the number to fetch
underTools, Options.

Donald Gray

....... Is there any reason why you
can't post it here?

[cross posting removed and only posted to:
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus]

Several very good reasons...

1) you should not post binaries when cross posting.

2) you should not post binaries in a non binary group (notice the
absence of 'binary' in the group name. (Notice the presence of
'binary' in the group he posted to.

3) a load of guys/galls who are still on slooooooow dial-up & who pay
on a minute-by-minute cost of being on line. They logon, get what they
need and logoff quick! (yes, there are still millions of folk who can
not get broadband) They are very likely to flame a binary poster off
the group for costing them extra money for downloading stuff they
don't want.

I'm sure that there are other good reasons but #3 alone is good enough
not to...

Please do not read this as a flame, it is not intended as such - just
giving some good reasons for not posting binaries here.

I hope that you get the file concerned.

Regards
--
Donald Gray