ActiveX problems again! please help!

Hi...am hoping someone can help me again figure out my problem. Back in
April, whenever I would go on certain websites, a box would come up saying
"click to run an activex control on this webpage. When I would click the OK
button, another box would come up saying that Internet Explorer has
encountered a problem and needs to close. I was directed to download a patch
that seemed to work for a while, now yesterday it started doing it again.
Tried to re-download the patch and it says that my Internet Explorer version
doesn't support the download. Can someone please give me an idea of what I
can do now to stop it? Thanks so much for any help you can provide, as right
now visiting most websites is totally useless...

Hi there and thanks for the reply..
So if I make sure all of my updates are current the problem should be
resolved? Or is this an issue with the websites? (As you can guess..Im not
exactly computer savvy..ha)
thanks again for your help!

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
A security patch released on June 14 reinstalled the ActiveX controls
handling patch. The Compatibility Patch will no longer disable that ActiveX
handling patch. See: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/06/13/629818.aspx

Website developers will have to change the way they activate ActiveX
Controls.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../author/dhtml/overview/activating_activex.asp

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

eskgirl said:
Hi...am hoping someone can help me again figure out my problem. Back in
April, whenever I would go on certain websites, a box would come up saying
"click to run an activex control on this webpage. When I would click the OK
button, another box would come up saying that Internet Explorer has
encountered a problem and needs to close. I was directed to download a patch
that seemed to work for a while, now yesterday it started doing it again.
Tried to re-download the patch and it says that my Internet Explorer version
doesn't support the download. Can someone please give me an idea of what I
can do now to stop it? Thanks so much for any help you can provide, as right
now visiting most websites is totally useless...

Don Varnau

Hi,
The website developers/webmasters will have to revise those sites/pages.
There's nothing that we users can do.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

C A Upsdell

The website developers/webmasters will have to revise those sites/pages.
There's nothing that we users can do.

As a bit of an aside, if you think it's hard to explain the Eolas issue
to users who are affected, I can tell you that it can be even harder to
explain it to clients. I have one site, which I had recently inherited
from someone else, that was affected by the Eolas update, and no matter
how many times I tried to explain it to the client, and no matter how
many references I pointed out where she could learn more about this
issue, she remained firmly convinced that *I* had done something wrong
to the site to create the problem. She finally took my advice to let me
re-do the affected code -- replacing the Java roll-overs with CSS
roll-overs -- but I suspect that she still believes that it was just a
scam for me to increase my billing. Sigh.

Hello,

i have the same problem with a javaclass from microsoft.
microsoft delivers with frontpage the fphover.class what is used in
our intranet pages. Since th last patch day microsoft reactive the path and
now we can wait up to 5 minutes before the site is loaded complete or it
hangs up. (There are ca. 40 hover buttons)
i find microsoft should serve this problem, because other browser run this
sites
without a problem, but in our intranet all users have IE.

Best regards

Joerg Braun

Don,
Thanks again for the info. and the reply. I really appreciate your help!