Activating XP

My wife bought me an old latop 3 years ago and XP Home edition. I loaded it
up and life has been good. I had to reload it twice before because of
virus's in the drive. Recently decided to get a new, larger drive. Did so
and installed XP. The little window came up to activate and I punched in the
code and hit send. It came back that I have used up the number of downloads
(activations) that came with the disc...XP cannot be activated.

1) What does this mean? Will it stop operating in 29 days because I cannot
activate it?
2) If I ever get to talk to a human @ msn (I have tried..every time it says
I'm being transfered I get cut off) will they tell me I have to buy a new
copy or pay a surcharge?
3) Does anyone have advice?

KA

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How to activate Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

[Read the section titled: "How to activate Windows XP by phone]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| My wife bought me an old latop 3 years ago and XP Home edition. I loaded it
| up and life has been good. I had to reload it twice before because of
| virus's in the drive. Recently decided to get a new, larger drive. Did so
| and installed XP. The little window came up to activate and I punched in the
| code and hit send. It came back that I have used up the number of downloads
| (activations) that came with the disc...XP cannot be activated.
|
| 1) What does this mean? Will it stop operating in 29 days because I cannot
| activate it?
| 2) If I ever get to talk to a human @ msn (I have tried..every time it says
| I'm being transfered I get cut off) will they tell me I have to buy a new
| copy or pay a surcharge?
| 3) Does anyone have advice?
|
| KA

Thanks Carey,

I'll keep trying..I keep getting cut off so I thought I'd try here.

Kevin

Richard Wagstaff

I regularly format and re-install our workstations and almost everytime I
have to phone for activation. I've never had any problems in getting
through and never had a problem with the activation. I think I've only once
been asked why I needed to reactivate.

Richard

Jim Macklin

2) If I ever get to talk to a human @ msn (I have
tried..every time it
| > says
| > I'm being transferred I get cut off) will they tell me I
have to buy a new
| > copy or pay a surcharge?

The contact is at Microsoft, NOT MSN. You should be seeing
an 800 number to call MS. It is a free call.

"Richard Wagstaff" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
|I regularly format and re-install our workstations and
almost everytime I
| have to phone for activation. I've never had any problems
in getting
| through and never had a problem with the activation. I
think I've only once
| been asked why I needed to reactivate.
|
| Richard
|

| | > My wife bought me an old latop 3 years ago and XP Home
edition. I loaded
| > it
| > up and life has been good. I had to reload it twice
before because of
| > virus's in the drive. Recently decided to get a new,
larger drive. Did
| > so
| > and installed XP. The little window came up to activate
and I punched in
| > the
| > code and hit send. It came back that I have used up the
number of
| > downloads
| > (activations) that came with the disc...XP cannot be
activated.

| > 1) What does this mean? Will it stop operating in 29
days because I
| > cannot
| > activate it?
| > 2) If I ever get to talk to a human @ msn (I have
tried..every time it
| > says
| > I'm being transfered I get cut off) will they tell me I
have to buy a new
| > copy or pay a surcharge?
| > 3) Does anyone have advice?
| >
| > KA

Beemer Biker

Kevin said:
My wife bought me an old latop 3 years ago and XP Home edition. I loaded it
up and life has been good. I had to reload it twice before because of
virus's in the drive. Recently decided to get a new, larger drive. Did so
and installed XP. The little window came up to activate and I punched in the
code and hit send. It came back that I have used up the number of downloads
(activations) that came with the disc...XP cannot be activated.

1) What does this mean? Will it stop operating in 29 days because I cannot
activate it?
2) If I ever get to talk to a human @ msn (I have tried..every time it says
I'm being transfered I get cut off) will they tell me I have to buy a new
copy or pay a surcharge?
3) Does anyone have advice?

KA

if you still have your other notebook drive and can access it, copy the two
files wpa.dbl and wpa.bak and put them back into the notebook at
c:\windows\system32 replacing the files that are already there. You may
have to boot into safe mode to get rid of the existing license info files.
After rebooting you should come out without haveing to re-activate.

Thanks everyone I finally got through to a human being and reactivated
it...however I do have the old drive and wil lcopy those files for any future
use.

THANKS!!!

?

Kevin said:
[...]

is there a simiar file copy action for office? It's counting backwards from
45 ech time I open it till it won't open anymore

KA