ACS - what's that in XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP New Users' started by Guest, Aug 29, 2007.

    After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered problems with ACS
    and need to close .... what is this?

    Guest, Aug 29, 2007

    Og Guest

    "ana" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered problems with
    > ACS
    > and need to close .... what is this?

    Do you have computer games installed?
    Wikipedia definition of ACS:
    Action Code Script, a scripting language used in video games such as HeXen
    and modern Doom ports.
    Steve

    Og, Aug 29, 2007

    no, don't have any games installed

    Guest, Aug 29, 2007

    Maincat Guest

    "ana" <> wrote in message
    > After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered problems with
    > ACS
    > and need to close .... what is this?

    Got Altec Lansing speakers?
    Read this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261357

    Let us know if that has sorted the problem.

    Maincat, Aug 29, 2007

    no, don't have altec lansing speakers - and I have gone through this support
    site (kb/261357). could not find any of the speakers mentioned in my device
    manager.

    Guest, Aug 29, 2007

    Nepatsfan Guest

    In news:,
    ana <> wrote:
    > After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered
    > problems with ACS
    > and need to close .... what is this?

    You may want to look in Event Viewer for more clues as to the
    nature of this problem.

    Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools and launch Event
    Viewer.
    In the left hand pane, click on Application to see if there was
    an event recorded for this problem.
    Do the same for System.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Nepatsfan, Aug 29, 2007

    I checked and yes, there was an event recorded as an error in both
    application and system. The error message said : faulting application acs.exe
    version 6.0.290.faulting module athcfg20U.dll version 6.0.2.90 fault address
    0x00011259

    what should I do?

    Guest, Aug 31, 2007

    If this machine is a laptop, or has any wireless cards installed - Toshiba
    likes this one - ACS.EXE is related to the Atheros Wireless Devices, if they
    are installed. I would be curious, what kind of pc is it and how do you
    connect to a network (even the internet)?
    --
    Chris K.
    IT/Network Tech

    Guest, Aug 31, 2007

    Nepatsfan Guest

    As Christopher029 has pointed out, it looks like your problem
    is associated with a wireless ethernet card. You might want to
    check with the manufacturer to see if this is a known problem.
    There may be a solution available from them.

    You might also check on the computer manufacturer's web site
    for the latest drivers for your wireless card. Check to see if
    they have a download for the Atheros Client Utility. Installing
    the latest version may fix your problem.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Nepatsfan, Sep 1, 2007

    hello Chris K and Nepatsfan

    sorry for the late reply. yes, I am indeed using Lenovo ThinkPad T60. and I
    connect wireless to my DSL. and now that you've pointed it out, is this also
    related to connectivity problem? because in addition to this ACS issue, the
    laptop sometimes fail to detect wireless connection upon starting. I have to
    re-start a couple of times until it finally detects it.

    Guest, Sep 2, 2007

    Thanks...will try this.

    Guest, Sep 2, 2007

    MTUser2007

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have exactly the same issue on the same computer, a ThinkPad T60p. I think using the latest? drivers as provided by ThiknkVantage System Update caused the problem. Does anyone have a solution that works?

    Thanks.

    MTUser2007, Feb 27, 2008