[ACF] new TreePad etc. files uploaded

Susan Bugher

After yet another *long* hiatus. . .
I've uploaded a revised set of ACF program information files.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/acf_List_2006-06-12.csv
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/acf_List_2006-06-12.hjt
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/acf_List_2006-06-12.txt

FWIW most of the newly added programs have higher ID numbers than the
older apps. I *thought* I'd figured out an easy way to get rid of most
of the special characters that are used in the web pages but. . . It
turned out I had to make some last minute revisions in the files because
the program names were "normal".

It's hard to keep track of what works/ doesn't work where - what with
the various rules for special characters on web pages, in the PHP
sortable tables, in spreadsheet formulas, in CSV fiies. . .
arghhhhhhhhhhhhh. . . Please let me know if you find any problems.

Next time ampersands will again be shown as & (that's the most
common special character change). Quote marks, commas, <, >, etc. etc.
also have to be "escaped"). . .

Enjoy! :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Hengist_Ludd

TreepadLite is a nice litte app. But is there any workaround for its not
having Boolean searching? Even the separate freestanding viewer, though
better, doesn't have any great sophistication to its search feature.

Susan Bugher

Hengist_Ludd said:
TreepadLite is a nice litte app. But is there any workaround for its not
having Boolean searching? Even the separate freestanding viewer, though
better, doesn't have any great sophistication to its search feature.

Good question. FWIW I use TreePad's node search the most and find that
feature very useful. I agree that boolean searching would be grand.
<sigh> I don't want/need that feature often so haven't looked seriously
for a good workaround.

TreePad files are plain text => they can be searched directly by many
apps. About all I've done along those lines is an occasional search and
replace with Info-Rapid Search & Replace. . . I've not tried a boolean
search but perhaps. . .

Another possible workaround - import a TreePad file into Keynote and
then export the nodes as individual text files. I haven't done the
import/export routine to facilatate searches but that would be one way
to zero in on the particular node (now a file) that has the info you're
looking for. Import/export is *very* fast if you only have a few hundred
nodes. Exporting to text files on a regular basis might be worthwhile if
you do a lot of boolean searches.

That's as far as I've gotten. . . maybe someone else will have a good
solution.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Hengist_Ludd

TreepadLite is a nice litte app. But is there any workaround for its
Good question. FWIW I use TreePad's node search the most and find that
feature very useful. I agree that boolean searching would be grand.

Hmmm, I suppose I should give nodes better names! What I *really* want is
a text snippets database, as I don't need the organisational capabilities
so much. Too many unrelated items.

I just tried searching the acf_List_2006-06-12.hjt with my favourite
shareware text searcher. Seemed to work well. Data-Grep (dg) might be a
freeware alternative; more here:
http://short.stop.home.att.net/freesoft/dbase.htm#dg
Another possible workaround - import a TreePad file into Keynote and
then export the nodes as individual text files. I haven't done the

Interesting idea, but if I stick to HJT files, it looks like I can get
what I want. I never "upgraded" to Keynote partly because it doesn't have
Boolean searching, but it should be added, not many paywares seem to have
it either (nor yet indexing for fast retrieval). IIRC Keynote files are
plain text too (unless you encrypt them) so they should be searchable in
the same way.

Thanks...

Susan Bugher

Hengist_Ludd said:
I just tried searching the acf_List_2006-06-12.hjt with my favourite
shareware text searcher. Seemed to work well. Data-Grep (dg) might be a
freeware alternative; more here:
http://short.stop.home.att.net/freesoft/dbase.htm#dg

Thanks for that. :)
Interesting idea, but if I stick to HJT files, it looks like I can get
what I want. I never "upgraded" to Keynote partly because it doesn't have
Boolean searching, but it should be added, not many paywares seem to have
it either (nor yet indexing for fast retrieval). IIRC Keynote files are
plain text too (unless you encrypt them) so they should be searchable in
the same way.

Keynote uses rich text format.
Thanks...

My pleasure. :)