[ACF] Members Sites web page

Susan Bugher

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/Members.php

The Members Sites page lists sites of participants in ACF. I'd like to add some info to the web
pages about the "rules" (group consensus) on the requirements for listing a site.

My understanding of the consensus has been that active participation in ACF is required, the sites
are individual's sites (no organization's sites) and the sites don't have to be about Freeware. I've
been proceeding on that basis. This seems like a good time to check my assumptions => discuss and
perhaps revise the "rules".

I have a specific question about commercial content. ATM there is one member's site that offers
ebooks for sale (ones they have written). Okay? Not okay?

Comments, suggestions, stray thoughts? I'm hoping for a fair nunber of comments - I Googled the ACF
archives and it's been a long time since we last talked about this in any depth (if we ever did).

FYI - I just removed these redirects/dead links:

David Buttery
The GPL Scrapyard
http://www.btinternet.com/~gplscrapyard/

Max Quordlepleen
a collection of links on language, words, and general references.
http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html

R.L.
A couple of downloadables from R.L.
http://home.earthlink.net/~ringomei/page2.html

sag
Horror Fiction and poetry
http://stansplace.web.com/

Trey Hunner
Free Software Reviews for Windows, Linux, and Mac
http://www.freesoftwarereviews.com/

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Eric

Susan said:
My understanding of the consensus has been that active participation in ACF is required,...

What is "active participation?"
I have a specific question about commercial content. ATM there is one member's site that offers
ebooks for sale (ones they have written). Okay? Not okay?

Personally, I have no problem with SOME commercial content as long as
it is not the primary focus of the site. Otherwise, even mine may not
qualify since I have links to the world's greatest cruise-only travel
agent mixed in with my trip reports, over-the-top parties, and search
for the perfect hand-held fruit pie snack.

Jeff

Eric said:
ACF is required,...

What is "active participation?"

Personally, I have no problem with SOME commercial content as long as
it is not the primary focus of the site. Otherwise, even mine may not
qualify since I have links to the world's greatest cruise-only travel
agent mixed in with my trip reports, over-the-top parties, and search
for the perfect hand-held fruit pie snack.

Eric, what is your website? I am interested in the "Search for the Perfect
Fruit Pie snack", which I believe to be any made by TastyKake.

Susan Bugher

Eric said:
What is "active participation?"

Someone who posts to the newsgroup. ISTM if someone hasn't posted a message to ACF for a year they
can no longer be considered an "active participant". I've checked in the past by Googling the ACF
archives for the name/email handle that's shown on the Members Sites page - haven't checked
recently. I believe there are a couple of members sites that will be dropped if we continue to use
"no posts for over a year" as a test for active participation.
Personally, I have no problem with SOME commercial content as long as
it is not the primary focus of the site. Otherwise, even mine may not
qualify since I have links to the world's greatest cruise-only travel
agent mixed in with my trip reports, over-the-top parties, and search
for the perfect hand-held fruit pie snack.

Thanks for commenting. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

El Gee

Someone who posts to the newsgroup. ISTM if someone hasn't posted a
message to ACF for a year they can no longer be considered an "active
participant". I've checked in the past by Googling the ACF archives
for the name/email handle that's shown on the Members Sites page -
haven't checked recently. I believe there are a couple of members
sites that will be dropped if we continue to use "no posts for over a
year" as a test for active participation.

Thanks for commenting. :)

Susan

Hmmm. I better post more often ;-) j/k

"Active" maybe bit agressive...we have lots of lurkers...I tend to lurk
most of the time (to avoid the flames). BtW the Pricelessware and
associated sites tend to provide a lot of traffice for me, but that is
another story.

El Gee - www (dot) mistergeek (dot) com <><

Did you hear the one about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?
He had trouble sleeping at night, wondering if there was a dog.
Remove yourhat to reply ... but it may take a while.

Antoine

Susan Bugher said:
Someone who posts to the newsgroup. ISTM if someone hasn't posted
a message to ACF for a year they can no longer be considered an
"active participant". I've checked in the past by Googling the ACF
archives [...]
Thanks for commenting. :)

Googling ACF archives is not a sure method imho. I don't post much
but since at least a year all my posts have, in the header, the
archive option set to off ; therefore Google lists my posts during
5-6 days after they have been composed but then deletes them from
its archive , therefore you probably haven't seen many posts from me
while googling :)

Anyway, for the moment I am still following acf ;-)

Henk de Jong

Susan Bugher schreef :
[...]

I hope that this response keeps my site listed for a year......... :-[
:-[

--
Henk de Jong
The Netherlands

Susan Bugher

Antoine said:
Someone who posts to the newsgroup. ISTM if someone hasn't posted
a message to ACF for a year they can no longer be considered an
"active participant". I've checked in the past by Googling the ACF
archives [...]
Googling ACF archives is not a sure method imho. I don't post much
but since at least a year all my posts have, in the header, the
archive option set to off ; therefore Google lists my posts during
5-6 days after they have been composed but then deletes them from
its archive , therefore you probably haven't seen many posts from me
while googling :)

I post the list of sites that will be dropped. IIRC last time a couple of people spoke up and said
don't drop my site - so there's some insurance. . .

We *could* leave links on the list forever (or until they die) but. . . AFAIK to date the "rule" is
that requests *must* come from the person who owns the site. ISTM that request should probably be
affirmed from time to time one way or another. I imagine some people drop out of ACF and just forget
their link is on the Members page - they might prefer to have it removed.
Anyway, for the moment I am still following acf ;-)

That's nice to hear. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Henk said:
Susan Bugher schreef :
I hope that this response keeps my site listed for a year......... :-[ :-[

Hi Henk,

I think if I tried to remove your site from the Members page I'd have a lynch mob on my doorstep. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

El said:
Hmmm. I better post more often ;-) j/k

"Active" maybe bit agressive...we have lots of lurkers...I tend to lurk
most of the time (to avoid the flames). BtW the Pricelessware and
associated sites tend to provide a lot of traffice for me, but that is
another story.

How do we separate lurkers' requests from drive-by requests (from somebody who just wants another
link to their site to improve their search engine ranking)? The link button doesn't get a lot of
requests but it does get some. . . I need to know when to say no.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

CJ Jones

Susan said:
You bet. :) What do you want the "Site Description" to say? If you have
a site button you want me to use tell me where to find it.

Susan

Uhm... a writer thinking is a funny thing.. uhm...
Okay.. You can list it as "Retired comedienne, CatheB changes names and
careers. Meet the Rat Wrangler for Penn & Teller's Showtime Series, the
author and freelance writer. Cathe Jones"

how's that sound? And THANKS!!!!

CJ

El Gee

How do we separate lurkers' requests from drive-by requests (from
somebody who just wants another link to their site to improve their
search engine ranking)? The link button doesn't get a lot of requests
but it does get some. . . I need to know when to say no.

Susan

I agree on all accounts. Not sure how or what to do about that.

El Gee - www (dot) mistergeek (dot) com <><

Did you hear the one about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?
He had trouble sleeping at night, wondering if there was a dog.
Remove yourhat to reply ... but it may take a while.

J44xm

["Susan Bugher"; Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:20:14 GMT]
Someone who posts to the newsgroup. ISTM if someone hasn't posted a
message to ACF for a year they can no longer be considered an "active
participant".

That sounds pretty fair to me.

I suppose I might as well submit my site as well. The URL's below. If you
need a tagline, how 'bout: "A straightforward list of excellent
applications"?

Susan Bugher

CJ said:
Uhm... a writer thinking is a funny thing.. uhm...
Okay.. You can list it as "Retired comedienne, CatheB changes names and
careers. Meet the Rat Wrangler for Penn & Teller's Showtime Series, the
author and freelance writer. Cathe Jones"

how's that sound? And THANKS!!!!

Sounds good. How does it look?

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/Members.php

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

J44xm said:
["Susan Bugher"; Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:20:14 GMT]
I suppose I might as well submit my site as well. The URL's below. If you
need a tagline, how 'bout: "A straightforward list of excellent
applications"?

Good idea IMO. ;) Done.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/Members.php

Susan