Acer Laptop

Reaction score
I am writing to complain about Acer America . I purchased this laptop from Tiger Direct 3 months ago and as you can see from the following letters what it took to get the machine fixed. It is finally working. Yesterday, March 8th, I received a call from Mark at Acer in Texas (he was not rude at least) telling me that they simple could not reimburse me for all the out of pocket expenses I have incurred because of this lemon???. However they have just NOW located my original hard drive (admitting that the one they sent to me was NOT mine) and would I like any data retrieved from it? Just about 2 months too late. Already lost one client and paid to get data retrieved from my business 1400 miles away.

I have still never heard a word from Acer Headquarters or Tiger Direct regarding any of this.

They are still not offering to reimburse me for all the cash I had to spend to get this thing fixed.

Any suggestions on how I can get this spread around the world so that others do not buy Acer products and get into a problem like this?

February 8, 2007

Acer America

2641 Orchard Parkway

San Jose, CA 95134

Attn: Customer Service

Re: SR 1-2NL4IP

S/N: LXAB10J005629039062500

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to express my great dismay at the service that I have been provided (or not) by your company. I purchased my Acer from Tiger Direct on December 11, 2006. I loaded all my business programs and my client data onto the machine and took my business off to Florida for four months. Upon arrival, I opened my machine and readied myself to make an image backup of the drive (standard monthly procedure for me). The machine opened windows. I walked away to retrieve my True Image software and when I returned the machine had frozen. I waited a respectable amount of time to see if it would recover itself then shut it down manually. When I tried to reboot it just cycled the hard drive again and again. Even the Acer recover disk that I made at initial setup did not boot.

I called repair. The technician was sympathetic and helpful, explained my options as to the hard drive with the data on it and read me an agreement (copy enclosed) which he had me disagree to. The disagreement, he informed me, would mean that I wanted to recover the data ion the hard drive and that if the problem was in fact a faulty drive I would be shipped back my old drive, which I would then take to a local person to have the data recovered. Okay, I unhappily packed, insured and shipped the laptop to Texas for the warranty repair. I was worried but he had assured me that I probably could get this accomplished. Bad hard drives do happen and Acer is a reputable company.

Now, it got a bit ugly. The machine returned almost 2 weeks later with a new blank hard drive in it. No old hard drive was in the box. I called immediately and held for another 20 minutes. Then I was put on hold by Sherman for 10-20 minutes while he “found” the tech who had worked on my machine and located my hard drive. He came back on the line and said he was having trouble “finding” the tech and would call me back in 10 minutes. He never called. I waited an hour and called back. I talked to Dusty. He said quickly that “Oh yes, of course they had located my hard drive”. I was a bit irritated by this time and he Dusty was mocking and rude telling me it was NOT Acer policy…I had been given bad information…not HIS fault…he didn’t HAVE to send the drive, the agreement I declined was NOT as stated, and just for my guru was actually pronounced Gooru, etc. etc. Lovely attitude.

I gave him my credit card number and he assured me the drive would be delivered on Monday or Tuesday morning at the latest. The new drive finally arrived about 1:00 on Wednesday. I opened the box and looked at the package. Right away I noticed the package had a different SR number on it…NOT MY SR number. But I took it to my computer tech anyway. When we took the drive out of the bag we noticed that the drive itself says “Certified Repaired HDD”. Well now, either this if NOT my original hard drive…or Acer sold me a brand new machine with a certified hard drive in it. The tech is very suspicious and shocked at Acer. We of course tried to find data on the drive but, not surprisingly, the drive was completely empty.

I purchased an Acer because of the companies reputation. Acer was supposedly one of the best. I am extremely unhappy at this point and very disappointed in Acer. I have lost weeks of client work due to the brand new machine’s malfunction and quite possible lost one client. I have paid my local tech and I paid postage on the original repair shipment (copies enclosed). I feel that the least Acer could do would be to refund these expenses that I had to incur from the failure of this brand new system. I will be expecting a reply to this complaint.

Sincerely,

Bethany B. Bomar
(e-mail address removed)

cc: Acer America Repairs

Tiger Direct Customer Service

Letter #2

February 25, 2007

Acer America

2641 Orchard Parkway

San Jose, CA 95134

Attn: Customer Service

Re: SR 1-2NL4IP

S/N: LXAB10J005629039062500

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to yet another letter concerning the problems with my Acer laptop. I am attaching a copy of my February 8, 2007 letter which explains the problems that occurred with my brand new laptop. Since that time, I have had more problems. I went through another week of trying to retrieve my work documents from my company 1400 miles away so that I could get back to work. However, my brand new refurbished laptop simply would not run properly. It was slow and sounded like a croaking toad when I opened it. I called in my local computer tech once again. He spent time running some more tests and found that the memory was bad. HE contacted Acer (and was treated quite efficiently) and procured some new memory for the machine. He then spent more time and got me up and running.

I purchased an Acer because of the company’s reputation. Acer was supposedly one of the best. I am extremely unhappy at this point and very disappointed in Acer. I have lost weeks of client work due to the brand new machine’s malfunction and quite possibly lost one client. I have paid my local tech more and I paid postage on the original repair shipment and am enclosing copies of all my receipts.

Original hard drive return shipping 30.12

Englewood Technology #2647 60.00

Englewood Technology #2696 80.00

$170.12

In light of all that has happened to me with this brand new Acer Inspire laptop I feel that Acer should at least offer to refund me the costs I have incurred in trying to repair this machine. I will be expecting a reply to this complaint.

Sincerely,

Bethany B. Bomar

(e-mail address removed)

cc: Acer America Repairs

Tiger Direct Customer Service

Reaction score
Welcome Bethany to PCReview
happywave.gif

As your USA based & we are a UK based forum our consumer advice will be different.
Also warranties will differ in their type & what they offer.
But we do have a few forum members that are USA based, may be they can help & offer advice?

Last edited:

Ask a Question