Access Access Select Query is cleared out after exporting

Reaction score
I have a db in Access 2010 and I'm trying to export the results of a SELECT query to an Excel file. I'm saving the export because I eventually want users to be able to run the export through a macro.
When I run the export everything seems to work fine the first time. But, after that I get an error "Query must have at least one destination field."
Then, when I open the query in Design View all tables and fields have been cleared out:confused: In SQL View it just shows: "SELECT;"

So, I open another copy of the backed up db, try again...same thing.:cry: After trying 4 times and having the same thing happen, I turned to google to try to figure out what's causing this. But I can't find anything remotely close and don't really know what to search for!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Yes it is an existing query which is saved and fully functional in the backed up db. All works fine until I run the export.
Initially, I was checking "Export data with formatting and layout".
This morning I decided to try exporting without formatting and it seems to be working fine (I ran it 3 times to be sure the query still remains, and it does:dance:).
But, I'd still like to understand what was causing the query to be cleared out so I can avoid it.

Any ideas>?

Reaction score
SELECT Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.RES_BUDREF, [resource data].[D or F], [resource data].FAName, [resource data].[Analyst Name], Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.Description, Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.CHARTFIELD1, Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[Beginning Date], Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[Expiration Date], Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[Funding Type], Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[1_Carryover]) AS SumOf1_Carryover, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[2_NewMoney]) AS SumOf2_NewMoney, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[4_Available Resources]) AS [SumOf4_Available Resources], Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[5_Beg Fund Balance]) AS [SumOf5_Beg Fund Balance], Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[6_Other Restatement]) AS [SumOf6_Other Restatement], Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[7_Adjusted Fund Balance]) AS [SumOf7_Adjusted Fund Balance], Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[8_ContAndTrfr]) AS SumOf8_ContAndTrfr, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[9_Revenue]) AS SumOf9_Revenue, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[10_Total Projected Revenue]) AS [SumOf10_Total Projected Revenue], Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[11_Expenditures]) AS SumOf11_Expenditures, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[11a_Account Receivable]) AS [SumOf11a_Account Receivable], Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[11b_Beg Fund Balance]) AS [SumOf11b_Beg Fund Balance], Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[11c_Other Restatements]) AS [SumOf11c_Other Restatements], Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[11d_AdjFundBal]) AS SumOf11d_AdjFundBal, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[11e_ContAndTrfr]) AS SumOf11e_ContAndTrfr, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[11f_Revenue]) AS SumOf11f_Revenue, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[11g_TotActualRevenue]) AS SumOf11g_TotActualRevenue, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[11h_Expense]) AS SumOf11h_Expense, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[12_Beg Fund Balance]) AS [SumOf12_Beg Fund Balance], Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[12a_Other Restatements]) AS [SumOf12a_Other Restatements], Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[12b_AdjFundBal]) AS SumOf12b_AdjFundBal, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[13_ContrAndTrfr]) AS SumOf13_ContrAndTrfr, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[14_Revenue]) AS SumOf14_Revenue, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[15_TotalOperatingRevBudget]) AS SumOf15_TotalOperatingRevBudget, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[17_Expense]) AS SumOf17_Expense, Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[18_Restricted Balance 9740]) AS [SumOf18_Restricted Balance 9740], Sum(Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[19_TotalOperatingExpBudget]) AS SumOf19_TotalOperatingExpBudget
FROM Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery LEFT JOIN [resource data] ON Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.CHARTFIELD1 = [resource data].Resource
GROUP BY Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.RES_BUDREF, [resource data].[D or F], [resource data].FAName, [resource data].[Analyst Name], Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.Description, Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.CHARTFIELD1, Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[Beginning Date], Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[Expiration Date], Int_SpecPrjRpt_PreQuery.[Funding Type];

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I don't see anything necessarily about the query that should have caused any of your issues, but I'm not the strongest when it comes to SQL, either.

Ask a Question