Access Access database alerts and notifications

Reaction score
Hello, I built a students database which holds records of the students, courses, fees, books, and student guardian info. I wish to have a notification on student's outstanding fees each time I open the database.

Reaction score
Sounds like you're adept with Access and have the basics. I would suggest you first create a report using a query that extracts the relevant information you're looking to view on outstanding charges. After you've created the report and are satisfied that it shows the information you want, you can use an AutoExec Macro to open and display the report when the Access database first opens. FYI: an AutoExec macro will run as soon as the access db is opened - it takes precedence over any other macros so it's a reasonable way to "do something" as soon as the database is opened. There are more granular ways using VB (Visual Basic scripting language) to do similar but I'm presuming you want to do this in as simple a way as possible. In anycase, that's the basic approach you can take and just one way to do it. Whether you do it using VB Script or the way I've described, the key is to create the report first, ensure it collects and displays what you want, then use the Autoexec Macro to display it when Access is opened. Good luck.

Ask a Question