Access 2007 Web Front end

jschping

I'm not clear why. I have an Access 2007 db full of student information. I
want the parents to be able to view it online (at least some of it), WITHOUT
being allowed to change any of it. I also want some of the staff to be able
to make changes.

I love the power in Access to design my reports and forms to look great. If
i use ASP will it look as nice? I don't want to have just plain text and
stuff. It's much much harder to format position things on the page with HTML
type code.

Will SQL Server Express help with that?

Thanks so much for the advice!

jschping

I don't understand why that it.

I have an Access 2007 db full of student information. I want the parents to
be able to view it online (at least some of it), WITHOUT being allowed to
change any of it. I also want some of the staff to be able to make changes.

I love the power in Access to design my reports and forms to look great. If
i use ASP will it look as nice? I don't want to have just plain text and
stuff. It's much much harder to format position things on the page with HTML
type code.

Will SQL Server Express help with that? Will it be asey to port over, or to
program?

Thanks so much for the advice!

David W. Fenton

I don't understand why that it.

Perhaps you don't understand because you have insufficient
experience with both Access and web apps.

I've done both, starting with web development after several years of
Access development. The Access models and Access workflows do not
translate at all to the web -- you have to start over with
completely different UI interactions in mind.

The rest of what you wrote is a near-verbatim repeat of what you
asked in another post, so I'm going to ignore it. It has nothing to
do with the point I was making, which was about tools that claim to
be able to convert an Access app to a web app.

You might be interested in dipping into the very active threads in
comp.databases.ms-access under these subject headings:

Access 2010 article
Access 2010 with Sharepoint 2010

Newsgroup regular and MVP Albert Kallal is taking a lot of his time
to explain his experiences working with the beta of Access 2010 and
the corresponding Sharepoint version that allows the publication of
an appropriately-designed Access app to the web with no loss of
functionality and no change in UI and/or presentation (including
reports). Unfortunately, it's not something you can do with a
pre-existing Access app created in a version of Access before 2010.
The forms and reports have to be created as "web forms/reports" for
them to publish to the Sharepoint server in this fashion.

So, what you want is coming (if you're willing to commit to being
permanently tied to Sharepoint for the web side), but not in place
yet.