Absolute Best in each category

Why Tea

Has any site ever listed a list of Absolute Best freeware for Windows,
one in each nominated category, based on user votes?

This is what I have in mind is something like:

1) Word Processor
2) Web Browser
3) Email Client
4) Image Editor
5) Image Viewer
6) Image Organizer
7) Video Editor
8) Video Viewer
9) Multimedia Player
10) Notepad Replacement
11) File Manager
12) Ftp/sftp client
13) Telnet/ssh client
14) Backup
15) CD/DVD creator

(Programming related)
16) Programmer's Editor
17) HTML Editor/Composer
18) Source Code Browser
19) Grep/Diff/Merge

I think some nagware (not crippled or time-limited trialware) should
also be included in the list.

/Why Tea

mike

Why Tea wrote
Has any site ever listed a list of Absolute Best freeware for Windows,
one in each nominated category, based on user votes?

This is what I have in mind is something like:

1) Word Processor

19) Grep/Diff/Merge

I think some nagware (not crippled or time-limited trialware) should
also be included in the list.

/Why Tea
Don't we have enough arguments here already so soon?

Ron May

Message-ID said:
[...]

It's hard to imagine ANY nagware being the "Absolute Best" in ANY of
the categories you mention. <g>

Nicolaas Hawkins

It's hard to imagine ANY nagware being the "Absolute Best" in ANY of
the categories you mention. <g>

There is absolutely NO "absolute best" in ANY category. "Beauty is in the
eye of the beholder" - absolutely.

Nicolaas.

Pricelessware 2006 CD now available.
E-Mail for details: raptor740.gmail@com (swap "." and "@")

.... A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from

Ron May

There is absolutely NO "absolute best" in ANY category. "Beauty is in the
eye of the beholder" - absolutely.

Or, as they say here in redneck country, "Beauty is in the eye of the
BEER HOLDER!"

Frank Bohan

Why Tea said:
[...]

Your best may not be the same as my best. My best today may be my second
best tomorrow. My best may not do what you want, and vice versa. Perhaps
before making suggestions such as this you could present your own list of
best programs, or even more entertaining, your list of the worst programs in
each category.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Bad bunnies get more carats.

Nicolaas Hawkins

Hence the based on user votes...

The OP made no mention of votes, or popularity.

Nicolaas.

Pricelessware 2006 CD now available.
E-Mail for details: raptor740.gmail@com (swap "." and "@")

.... You are making progress . . . if each mistake is a new one!

Why Tea

Your best may not be the same as my best. My best today may be my second
best tomorrow. My best may not do what you want, and vice versa. Perhaps

Hence the based on user votes... (again :cool:
before making suggestions such as this you could present your own list of
best programs, or even more entertaining, your list of the worst programs in
each category.

Not suggestion. Just asking if such a site existed.