About to upgrade to Office 2007 Pro with BCM

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook BCM' started by Kenny MacDonald, May 27, 2008.

  1. Before I drop alot of money on this in my organization, I want to make
    absolute sure it will be what we need. I've been using it by myself on my
    installation on my desktop and it runs really good and I'm impressed with the
    features, mainly the contact management.

    Currently we have a public folder contact system that is difficult to
    maintain (7000+ contacts), and using BCM seems like it will streamline the
    process a little easier by using Accounts and categories the way it does. I
    also like the way you can create oppurtunies and follow up on them. The
    project management is exactly what I've been looking for as well.

    First of all, I'll want to install the BCM database on my production SQL
    server and point everyone to the location of it when BCM is installed. I
    didnt' have any doubts about this until I read somewhere that BCM is usually
    meant for individual use and everyone has their own database locally, this
    wouldn't work for us. Is it true? I think they were talking about BCM 2003
    at the time though.

    Next I notice that if you look at an account, and go to the History window,
    it shows ALL emails, tasks, projects, notes, etc... every made for the
    account. Does this show up for all users, or do they only see the
    communication objects they created? Is there a way to specify who can see
    what based on account? How detailed is the security? That's my main
    question I'm not sure about.

    Thanks!

    Kenny MacDonald, May 27, 2008

  2. Kenny MacDonald

    Luther Guest

    On May 27, 2:36 pm, Kenny MacDonald
    <> wrote:
    > Before I drop alot of money on this in my organization, I want to make
    > absolute sure it will be what we need.  I've been using it by myself on my
    > installation on my desktop and it runs really good and I'm impressed with the
    > features, mainly the contact management.
    >
    > Currently we have a public folder contact system that is difficult to
    > maintain (7000+ contacts), and using BCM seems like it will streamline the
    > process a little easier by using Accounts and categories the way it does. I
    > also like the way you can create oppurtunies and follow up on them.  The
    > project management is exactly what I've been looking for as well.
    >
    > First of all, I'll want to install the BCM database on my production SQL
    > server and point everyone to the location of it when BCM is installed.  I
    > didnt' have any doubts about this until I read somewhere that BCM is usually
    > meant for individual use and everyone has their own database locally, this
    > wouldn't work for us.  Is it true?  I think they were talking about BCM 2003
    > at the time though.
    >
    > Next I notice that if you look at an account, and go to the History window,
    > it shows ALL emails, tasks, projects, notes, etc... every made for the
    > account.  Does this show up for all users, or do they only see the
    > communication objects they created?  Is there a way to specify who can see
    > what based on account?  How detailed is the security?  That's my main
    > question I'm not sure about.
    >
    > Thanks!

    A single user with a private database has always been BCM's default
    and most popular configuration.

    BCM v2 added the ability to share a database with other users.

    BCM v3 (2007) added a tool to install the BCM database on a server; so
    that you don't have to install Outlook on the server to create the
    database.

    Although the database has an owner, the only user that can customize
    entities, manage users, and do db backups and restores, all the shared
    users have access to all the data. So when you look at an account's
    history, your seeing all the history items in the database and not
    just those you created.

    BCM has more security than similar products (e.g. v3 added encryption
    to database connections), but it does not have roles and permissions,
    so every shared user sees all the data in the database.

    Luther, May 28, 2008

  3. Ouch, the fact that they can see EVERYTHING related to an account (even
    private email from employees) might be a deal breaker.

    Thank you for your quick answer! Any other suggestions or ideas would be
    great.

    Kenny MacDonald, May 28, 2008