About Outlook and this newsgroup....

Brian Tillman

Roxana said:
Now, what am I trying to find an answer to ? Here ya go Russ:
"Customize" freezes / *re-post* "customize" freezes.
(e-mail address removed)

Admittedly, I did *repost*.... after a two day wait - in the *first*
newsgroup I started in. Then, after two further days waiting, I
posted in "Outlook" newsgroup. That is precisely what I mean when I
said that one gets no follow-up to a question and process. If one
must wait two-days for every single query posited.... My word !

There are times when even the people most familiar with Outlook from their
day-to-day use don't know the answer to a question and that only the
developers could answer accurately. In those cases, you won't see any
response to a question. You also won't see the answer for days if the one
person in the world who has seen the problem before doesn't visit these
groups opr does so infrequently. How can you find fault with that?

Brian Tillman

Roxana said:
Firstly, I clearly wrote W98se, and not W98. Try reading a bit more
carefully mate.

Secondly, I have had Office XP/Outlook 2002/Word 2002/ Excel and
Publlisher and W98se installed on what was a then brand new computer
and had no problems with software/OS from the jump-start.......

So, if you're trying to make some snide remark about some alleged
incompatibility between W98SE and Office XP / Outlook 2002, you'd
better run rabbits, eat dirt and bark at the moon, OK ?

The problem is not that anyone's disparaging your use of WIndows 98, it's
just that few of the people here USE that version at this point, so can't
investigate the problem. I did use Windows 98 for a long time, even after
most people I know had transitioned to Windows XP because I couldn't afford
a new PC at the time. The household budget just didn't allow it. Even
then, though, I was using a second-hand Office 97 that an acquaintance had
been going to throwing away, so I, for one, never had a configuration to
match yours and couldn't have answered if I had wanted. In those cases,
when someone doesn't know the answer, s/he doesn't post. Apparently, your
original question was one of theose imponderables the depths of which no one
could plumb. If you are, as you say, familiar with peer-to-peer newsgroups,
you'd know this and wouldn't have posted the rant.

Brian Tillman

Roxana said:
I apologize for pestering like this, but before I proceed with that
*quick test* of *.SRS file renaming, is it commonplace to have
several (namely 4) .srs files for one profile ?

Total number of *.srs files are 9.
There are:
3 Outlook.srs - (outlook.srs; outlook~1.srs; outlook~2.srs)
<my name>~3.srs)
2 <another profile>.srs - (<another profile>.srs; <another
profile>~1.srs)

The SRS file name matches the name of the mail profile, so you must have had
mail profiles named "Outlook" (three of them at various times), "my name"
(four of them at various times), and "another profile" (two of them at
various times), for a total of nine profiles over time, without having
cleaned up the files from the old ones.

Brian Tillman

Roxana said:
Back to the issue at hand:
I suppose I'll be taking that plunge after a small repast (and
exporting / backing-up my .PST files - I cannot afford to take any
chances, but then again, who can ? lol)

NEVER export to or import from a PST. You lose data. To back one up,
simply copy it to another location. If I were in your shoes, I'd also clean
out ALL the old support files from both the C:\Windows\Local
Settings\Application Data and the C:\Windows\Application Data folders., as
well as the mail profile keys under the registry (I believe it's
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles, but I don't have a Windows 98 system to check) and
create a new mail profile using the Mail applet in Control Panel.

Diane Poremsky

well, you really aren't at risk of losing the pst, but copying them will
suffice...

You earlier mentioned you dual boot. Are you using the same office install
for both OS's (sharing the office files to save drive space)? That can be
problematic, especially if you installed an update in one OS but not in
another.

F. H. Muffman

Roxana said:
Thanks, I appreciate the welcome. :) However, Outlook/Word is not my
forte.
Were it so, I'd gladly help.

OTOH, I *have helped and have *1000's* of posts* - most to help - and a
number of which I posted to receive help (which is how I started in the MS
newgroups - probably as many/most persons had).

Did you actually look into that, or are you just guessing randomly? Unlike
most people, I know the value of statistics. I also know of people who have
posted thousands of posts *this year alone*, let alone in previous years
where 1000+ in a month was not an irregular occurance.
I'm just a person who has volunteered much of my time in areas where I am
proficient and haven't an MVP 'ribbon or perks'. Don't bother using "find"
to locate me to verify my claim; I have had several identities over the
years.

Answered above. And, I don't need to be reminded that these MS newsgroups
are *all* volunteer staffed; that most helpful enthusiasts who frequent
the
myriad newsgroups lack possession of an MVP appellation. I didn't just
fall
off a turnip wagon, y'know.

Well, since, as you said, you've posted under multiple names, just how would
one be able to know that?
And you ? I see one post here and one in Outlook.General, today, though
I've
been dumping and compacting the tons of overburden posts just so I can
quickly and readily find if someone has returned to follow through on
their
"reply" to my one question.

Well, unlike you, I've always posted under this name. So feel free to look
beyond today, since you so snidely suggested I've never helped anyone here.

And if you would like to nitpick *any* of my attempts to help people, feel
free. In fact, feel free to let me know what newsgroups you're currently
active in so I could happily return the favor.

Also, if I might make a suggestion, if you want to quickly and readily find
your threads, just click in the little eyeglass column to Watch the thread,
or go to Message - Watch Conversation. You could then sort by Watched
threads or even just create a new View to just show you Watched
conversations. It's a great feature of OE, made to make dealing with large,
busy newsgroups easier.

Roxana

Hello again Diane.

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back on this, but I just returned from
the office a short while ago and proceeded to execute the "Detect and
Repair" process. Before starting that process, I first copied .pst's to
another directory elsewhere. I also emptied and then compacted "My Personal
Folders" in Outlook. After those preliminary safeguards were done, I ran
"Detect and Repair". It has now been done.

Results:
Unfortunately, "Detect and Repair" did not repair anything - as I suspected.
It did however re-install osa.exe, mdm.exe and probably also re-enabled
Fast-Search(ing ?), also just as I suspected . Whatever... It is as it is.
"Customize" remains broken.

"Detect and Repair" seemed to be the "method of choice" and I'm afraid to
ask if there are any other means by which this issue can be actually fixed -
short of a full re-install of Office XP (or at least Outlook), as they're
probably non-existent.

Thanks for your help. :)

Regards,
Roxana

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
Detect and repair should not undo anything - and its one of the first
troubleshooting steps you should try. In the case of your symptoms, the most
obvious solution did not work (delete/rename outcmd.dat) so detect and
repair is the next step. If you prefer grasping at straws, delete or rename
the *.SRS file for your profile. The symptoms for a corrupt SRS don't
usually involve the customize dialog, but it does cause crashes when you
access a menu (send and receive dialog)... so it may be worth trying before
detect and repair and like outcmd, only takes a few seconds to test.

Roxana said:
No, Diane, I did not try "Detect and Repair" as yet.
I posted a return reply on 10/14/07 @ 7:26 PM to the original post wherein
you had suggested that. There was no return reply to that.

You also asked about Profiles.

I suppose I must ask if such 'remedies' as "Detect and Repair" are known
and
tested solutions, or if we're just trying a guessing game with that. I ask
this because I've had some experience (as I posted in original reply)
where
such "repairs" accomplish nothing but to un-do everything which wasn't
broken, without ever repairing the thing which was.

My question and remarks in my original reply to your reply were as
follows:
<paste>
Sunday, October 14, 2007 7:26 PM
Hello.

No, I did not try "Detect and repair". I'm customarily reticent to apply
any
of "MS repair" features (especially in IE. Don't know about how Outlook
[mis]behaves though). My experience with the few "repair" has been
unpleasant. Usually messes up all customisations; re-instates certain
aspects one desires not, etc. Has required old updates to be re-done, bla
bla. Maybe Outlook isn't as bad, but it "worries/bothers" me. IF that's
the
only choice... and IF it will work, and not just make me travel down that
entire path - for no fruit - OK. But, I'm reticent...

Yes, I tested in another profile.... Same exact symptom and result.

Thanks for your help.:)

Roxana
</paste>

Roxana

Diane Poremsky said:
did you try detect and repair yet?

in message
I don't wish to be argumentative, but peer-to-peer newsgroups are *not*
foreign to me. MS newgroups are not foreign to me. If they were, I
post
in
*all caps*... I'd crosspost immediately (in 1 minute or less)... I'd
"lose"
my post, not return, then post an identical one six times. Please
spare
me
that *inaccurate* assessment.

Now, what am I trying to find an answer to ? Here ya go Russ:
"Customize" freezes / *re-post* "customize" freezes.

Admittedly, I did *repost*.... after a two day wait - in the *first*
newsgroup I started in. Then, after two further days waiting, I
posted
in
"Outlook" newsgroup. That is precisely what I mean when I said that one
gets
no follow-up to a question and process. If one must wait two-days for
every
single query posited.... My word !

Now, I realize you are not familir with my post and my method, but I
believe
I stated from the get-go what the problem was/ which version of
Outlook
is
in use, and even which OS it is being used in.

At the risk of being redundant, I've 1000's of posts in multitudes of
MS
newsgroups and I don't use the MS-CDO web-based newsgroup reader (or
whatever MS has now favored to replace that earlier monstrosity with).
believed I supplied enough basically required info to give someone a
headstart on helping.

Thank you Russ.
Roxana

in message
It appears that the concept of peer to peer newsgroups is foreign to you.
Please explain what part of that concept you do not understand so we can
help with any misunderstanding you may have. The only posts that go
unanswered are those that contain too little information to permit a
response.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Roxana" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
<snipped>

Roxana

<top post>

Whatever... <sigh>
Brian, almost the entirety of this thread has been totally inane. One thing
for certain, and I knew this would happen. Post a message of this sort and
all sorts of people come to "the rescue" ... of whatever.... Their
"dignified selves" / "Their hobby" ? "Their beloved blue-ribbon")

The fact remains that my initial post clearly stated What was wrong and what
version of Outlook in the subject line. I opened my post with a reiteration
of the problem / Outlook version / and operating system.Even so, there seem
to be some who were in such a hurry (but minutes had elapsed) to unload
their own *rant* that they either didn't read, or let their fingers on
keyboard jump ahead of their brain.

Thus far, I've had a few MVP's (and others) making all sorts of excuses and
their own rants and other nonsense stating the obvious, but inaccurate, as
far as my instance was concerned. For instance:
<paste>
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] wrote:

Common reasons why posts are not answered:

1. Posters omit Outlook version.
<--I clearly stated Outlook 2002 in my very first post, in the subject line.
2. Posters omit clear description of problem, e.g., "Help, my Outlook will
not send!"
<--I stated most succinctly, "customize freezes", both in subject line and
in text body.
3. Posters use the subject line as the complete description.
<--I wrote an exact summary of the problem in the text body.
4. Posters do not respond with requested information when asked by the
volunteers.
<-- I not only returned in a timely manner, but I responded with whatever
was asked. Unfortunately, when I asked for any clarification or
supplementary information, I had to wait *two days* for each return
reply.... and that *only* after I waited two days with no reply whatsoever
and the made a *re-post* - and I said it was a re-post.
5. Posters p*ss off the volunteers by unnecessary usage of M$, Microsloth,
Microshills, Microsh*t, etc.
<-- I used nothing of a sort.
6. Posters begin by bashing the group/helpers/answers.
<-- I did not *begin by bashing*. I clearly asked a question and it was
ignored. It took a second re-post to get any answer at all, and then the
person disapperas for two days. It then took days on end to get any back and
forth on it. But, I knew that if I wrote this (because I grew fed-up the
boilerplate, etc.) that it would elicit exactly what it did.
7. We all have personal lives that precludes hovering in these news groups
24/7.
<-- How unique....totally 'singular'.

Take your pick. Pay especial attention to number 6.
<-- I submit, that those who have made such remarks, should pay especial
(sic) attention to the initial post which was written before jumping the
gun.
</paste>

Where was Milly when the actual post and re-post was hanging in limbo ?
Nowhere...Probably hasn't even seen it. So, this smug post from her is
inaccurate and based solely upon some "boilerplate" excuse.
Just the same as someone who asks "Windows 98 ?" What the heck does that
have to do with anything ? (and for the last time, it's W98SE, not W98).

-------EOP-------------------------

Roxana

"Brian Tillman" wrote in message
The SRS file name matches the name of the mail profile, so you must have had
mail profiles named "Outlook" (three of them at various times), "my name"
(four of them at various times), and "another profile" (two of them at
various times), for a total of nine profiles over time, without having
cleaned up the files from the old ones.

Yes, thanks. After my own bit of research and deductive reasoning, I had
already arrived at that conclusion last night.

Roxana

<in-line>
Brian Tillman said:
NEVER export to or import from a PST. You lose data. To back one up,
simply copy it to another location.

Which is exactly what I did, despite my having written "export /
backing-up".
If I were in your shoes, I'd also clean
out ALL the old support files from both the C:\Windows\Local
Settings\Application Data and the C:\Windows\Application Data folders.,
Yes.
as
well as the mail profile keys under the registry (I believe it's
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles, but I don't have a Windows 98 system to check)

Right; that is a non-existent key in W98se. But that's okay; I can find my
way about.
and
create a new mail profile using the Mail applet in Control Panel.

Right. Thanks.
Roxana
Perhaps now, after having done the "Detect and Repair" - which did nothing -
I'll give your suggestion a whirl.

Roxana

<Top post>

Diane Poremsky said:
well, you really aren't at risk of losing the pst, but copying them will
suffice...

Done deal. (just to be on the safe side). ;-)
You earlier mentioned you dual boot.
Correct.

Are you using the same office install
for both OS's (sharing the office files to save drive space)?That can be
problematic, especially if you installed an update in one OS but not in
another.

Negative. I have only one instance of Office XP installed and it has its
home in W98se.Thanks for considering that as a possible factor.

Cheers,... and thanks.
Roxana

Roxana

<in-line>
Brian Tillman said:
There are times when even the people most familiar with Outlook from their
day-to-day use don't know the answer to a question and that only the
developers could answer accurately. In those cases, you won't see any
response to a question.

Understood.

You also won't see the answer for days if the one
person in the world who has seen the problem before doesn't visit these
groups opr does so infrequently.

Understood.

How can you find fault with that?

I don't find fault with that. I find "fault" with getting an answer to a
post - in this case a re-post - and then waiting two days for any sort of
return reply. Now admittedly, that's not the first or only time I've seen
such happen, but in the case of these two Outlook newgroups (Outlook /
Outlook.General), I've just about never seen so many posts come into a
newsgroup, burying any previous posts to the very bottom of OE newsreader in
a matter of mere hours.

Therefore, based upon that, I still say this program is either highly
problematic/ this newsgroup is "understaffed" (with qualified peer-to-peer
non-MVP's and MVP's both) and that's it. Maybe it's too quirky a program to
have any number of persons who can know of and manage the wide variety of
issues that get presented. (and there sure seem to be a number of them. I
mean, there are hundreds upon hundreds of posts in a few days).

You made mention of some limiting factors, such as Operating system /
Outlook version / and particular issue, having a bearing on whether anyone
knows a possible solution (aside from the developer). OK.... I'll buy that,
to a limited degree. But, things beng what they are, I guess that unless one
is using WinXP and Outlook 2003(<-- too old already ? - 2007, one is SOL. I
suppose if one is using Vista and Outlook 2007, one is also SOL.

These things will work "as soon as they've perfected them",.... and then
right after that, one will have an "antique" no-one will know how to fix
*when* a problem arises.

Out with the old and in with the new (but it's too new for anyone to know
what *can* go wrong; what *is* wrong; what is *buggy*; and what can be done
to fix any of it.)

Roxana

Roxana

Sorry, but none of the below apply, But then, you probably never saw my
first posts.

Subject: "customize" freezes - Outlook 2002
Monday, October 08, 2007 11:33 PM
Outlook. General newsgroup

Three days later:

Subject: repost: "customize" freezes - Outlook 2002
Thursday, October 11, 2007 11:15 PM
Outlook.General newsgroup

Three days following:
Subject:"Customize" Outlook Freezes
Sunday, October 14, 2007 4:32 PM
Outlook newsgroup

Typical text body my original posts follow:
My first post to Outlook.General
Monday, October 08, 2007 11:33 PM
<paste>
Outlook 2002/ Office XP/ Win98se

Might as well ask if there's a fix for the near constant freeze which occurs
when attempting to employ the menu item: Tools > Customize.
This freezing issue always requires the most drastic measures to shut down
Outlook/Winword. I should add that the shutdown is never successful; always
resulting in a "Because Outlook was not closed properly...checking <some
folder> for problems". etc.

Thanking you for any suggestions.

Roxana
</paste>

New post:

<paste>
My repost to Outlook.General
Thursday, October 11, 2007 11:15 PM
Repost - "customize" freezes - Outlook 2002 - from 3 days ago.

Outlook 2002/ Office XP/ Win98se

Might as well ask if there's a fix for the near constant freeze which occurs
when attempting to employ the menu item: Tools > Customize.
This freezing issue always requires the most drastic measures to shut down
Outlook/Winword. I should add that the shutdown is never successful; always
resulting in a "Because Outlook was not closed properly...checking <some
folder> for problems". etc.

Thanking you for any suggestions. (this is one busy NG)

Roxana
</paste>

Milly, would you be so kind as to explain to me what, where and how -
precisely - I'm errant in my posts ?

My third post to Outlook newsgroup
Sunday, October 14, 2007 4:32 PM
<paste>
Outlook 2002 /Word 2002 /Office XP / W98se

Perhaps they'll be an answer in this group instead of Outlook.General, where
this has sat - more or less - ignored, or in best case scenario, answered
ineffectively, more than two days ago. No return reply from this person
since then.

I don't mean to rile anyone with this "preface", but it's quite frustrating
to sit here and wait interminably.
N.B. - I waited for ~ 2 days before 'reposting' this question. I didn't
cross-post/multi-newsgroup post either.

I realize - and can plainly see - that the MS Outlook newsgroups are *filled
to the brim* with constant problems, but can't anyone Follow-up / Watch /
Flag any question they initially volunteer to reply to ? (even I know how to
do that)
If there's no follow-up, what's the point of initially "trying to help" ?

Thanks.
Roxana
</paste>

Again, I must ask, would you be so kind as to explain to me what, where and
how - precisely - I'm errant in my posts ?

Thanks for stepping in with your insight.

Roxana

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
Common reasons why posts are not answered:

1. Posters omit Outlook version.
2. Posters omit clear description of problem, e.g., "Help, my Outlook will
not send!"
3. Posters use the subject line as the complete description.
4. Posters do not respond with requested information when asked by the
volunteers.
5. Posters p*ss off the volunteers by unnecessary usage of M$, Microsloth,
Microshills, Microsh*t, etc.
6. Posters begin by bashing the group/helpers/answers.
7. We all have personal lives that precludes hovering in these news groups
24/7.

Take your pick. Pay especial attention to number 6.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Roxana asked:

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...344e0edad12/42865e9436e2afba#42865e9436e2afba

| I happen to disagree with that poster regarding that particular
| newsgroup. In it's halcyon days, that newsgroup really cooked and was
| one heck of a great place. 10's of 10's of posts per day, if not
| more, and most were addressed - by multiple persons - with generally
| great enthusiasm and care and *expertise* (not some boilerplate /
| guessing game answer) which didn't stop until a solution was arrived
| at. That makes it quite *unlike* these Outlook newsgroups.
|
| Addressing those who've placed fingers to keyboard to help me, I
| thank you. However, - with some regret - I must sincerely say that
| said help has been less than satisfactory. On the other hand, I count
| my blessing... at least my post wasn't totally lost or *entirely*
| ignored. (Only partially ignored, and only 9 days in the making to
| conclusively realize that no *real* help will be forthcoming. lol)
|
| To those of you with problems with Outlook, I wish you well and
| advise thus: If you're in need of any help, I hope time isn't of the
| essence. This newsgroup is a place which cries out to the
| adventuresome: "Good luck... and be patient !" <-- You'll need both !

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

I am simply posting the most common reasons why posts go unanswered - it is certainly not boilerplate (although thanks for that idea) - it was a response to your posting/complaint/whatever about why your posts were not answered.

As for your previous posts, I have a full time job, try to be in bed by 11ish and don't have the time or inclination to post first thing in the morning - trust me, you would not want to trust my answers first thing in the morning. As for patrolling this news group, I try to do it 3 or 4 days a week. If your post goes unanswered by me, refer to the post by Brian - I have not run Win98 or Win98SE since Y2K. I tend to skip posts with platforms or programs I do not remember.

As for why I jumped in here, I tend to take it personally when the group and MVPs in particular are taken to task for not being at poster's beck and call. If you wanted immediate help, then you could have contacted Microsoft Product Support Services and paid for the support. Here, the support is free and you get what, and when, you pay for.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Roxana asked:

| Sorry, but none of the below apply, But then, you probably never saw
| my first posts.
|
| Subject: "customize" freezes - Outlook 2002
| Monday, October 08, 2007 11:33 PM
| Outlook. General newsgroup
| |
| Three days later:
|
| Subject: repost: "customize" freezes - Outlook 2002
| Thursday, October 11, 2007 11:15 PM
| Outlook.General newsgroup
| |
| Three days following:
| Subject:"Customize" Outlook Freezes
| Sunday, October 14, 2007 4:32 PM
| Outlook newsgroup
| |
> [...]
|| great enthusiasm and care and *expertise* (not some boilerplate /
|| guessing game answer) which didn't stop until a solution was arrived
|| at. That makes it quite *unlike* these Outlook newsgroups.
|| Addressing those who've placed fingers to keyboard to help me, I
|| thank you. However, - with some regret - I must sincerely say that
|| said help has been less than satisfactory. On the other hand, I count
|| my blessing... at least my post wasn't totally lost or *entirely*
|| ignored. (Only partially ignored, and only 9 days in the making to
|| conclusively realize that no *real* help will be forthcoming. lol)
|| To those of you with problems with Outlook, I wish you well and
|| advise thus: If you're in need of any help, I hope time isn't of the
|| essence. This newsgroup is a place which cries out to the
|| adventuresome: "Good luck... and be patient !" <-- You'll need both

Roxana

I'm not sure how I should respond to this post, but I'll try.<inline>

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote in message
I am simply posting the most common reasons why posts go unanswered

Yes, perhaps so, but I don't see any place where I've been in violation of
these "7 commandments". My initial posts which are exact copy/pastes,
complete in every detail, will testify to that.

- it is certainly not boilerplate (although thanks for that idea) -

You're welcome. However, it is to be hoped that it will be employed only in
such cases as those which truly warrant it.

it was a response to your posting/complaint/whatever about why your posts
were not answered.

Which was when ?
"About Outlook and this newsgroup....:" Wednesday, October 17, 2007 3:56 PM.
My first question:
"customize" freezes - Outlook 2002" Monday, October 08, 2007 11:33 PM

I'd hardly see it fit to condemn me for a post of "complaint" which was made
9 days+ after a modicum of replies - which also had my own return questions
posed to them (unanswered) were made. Am I to assume that posters outside of
the fold have no worth; no value as people who are posting to a newsgroup
for assistance ? That 9 days is asking for instant "at my beck and call"
gratification ? Not in my opinion, it isn't.

As for your previous posts, I have a full time job, try to be in bed by
11ish and don't have the time or inclination to post first thing in the
morning -

I can relate to that.

trust me, you would not want to trust my answers first thing in the morning.

I might also be inaccurate / hasty / cantakerous / subject to gross error,
and so-forth at such times as the rising of morning gloom.(BTDT). :-D

As for patrolling this news group, I try to do it 3 or 4 days a week. If
your post goes unanswered by me, refer to the post by Brian - I have not run
Win98 or Win98SE since Y2K. I tend to skip posts with platforms or programs
I do not remember.

Understandable, yet perhaps a bit hasty to unseat "the old" (IMO). But you
are entitled to your choices and doubtless, have/ had your reasons. However,
this may or may not fully apply for those who've stepped forth and
'volunteered" though. Similarly, I do realize all people have other things
to do.

As for why I jumped in here, I tend to take it personally when the group and
MVPs in particular are taken to task for not being at poster's beck and
call.

My original post / subsequent post / tertiary post are well spaced;
exhibiting patience, and an even keel (IMO).
My *final post* (this thread herein) is of a different tenor - granted. But
I didn't just jump in and demand service. The dates and tenor of every one
of my prior posts stand quite clear in that. In short, I don't believe my
stance or my method (up until this thread) demanded that any respondants be
"at my beck and call" (from dawn 'til dusk). I still don't 'demand"
anything. I am simply "calling it as I see it".

Incidentally, I'm not new to these newsgroups; I don't use MS CDO web-based
newsreader or Google. I use OE solely as a newsreader and have myself
posted 1000's of posts in other newsgroups here in MS and have helped many
persons thoughout the years. I have merely taken a hiatus for a year or so.

If you wanted immediate help, then you could have contacted Microsoft
Product Support Services and paid for the support.

Please, cut me some slack here; How could anyone posit "9 days in the
waiting" as a request for "immediate help" ?

Here, the support is free and you get what, and when, you pay for.

Yes, that's right... and it should be known that the '"fix", fixed nothing.
lol :-D (Not any reflection on Diane Poremsky, nor Jocelyn Fiorello. Both
are fine persons - in my humble opinion - and did what they could to
*help*.)

Now this that follows you can take however you wish to (and you should try
and understand that it is not my intent to direct this at *you* per se.)
In the final analysis, it doesn't matter. I'll not use "customize"; it is
customized as much as I think I need or want.
It *is* broken however, and remains broken, but it's just not worth this
much hassle or time to me. By the same token, I too do not "need to be
abused or mischaracterized" by people who are habitues or MVP's of
newsgroups created - by Microsoft - for the purpose of helping people to
solve problems with a given application (such as Outlook, in this instance),
simply because after a period exceeding 9 days, I called it as it is.

It is less troublesome to re-install the thing, if that be my need - and
would have consumed far less of my time, efforts, and energies (for *all*
concerned). AND, would have fixed it without being slammed or abused *en
masse* by an entire army of MS-MVP's who suddenly decided to make a cameo
appearance.... and whom, for the most part (but not entirely), seem to not
have had much in the way of answers or to offer any help... but merely
appeared to express their indignation. To "misquote", not clearly read my
post, or to state "W98", when that was not what I clearly stated I was
using.

I guess if I were using WinXP (and I do use WinXP AAMOF) with Outlook 2003/
2007, then the MS-MVP's might have a handle on it. But in view of the
planned obsolesence and short memory, most MS-MVP's cannot help with
"antiques". That doesn't speak very much for the appellation, except perhaps
to Microsoft corp., who will soon regard WinXP as antique and regard it as
unworthy and forgettable as well.... prodding MVP's to get on with the new
and junk the old.

Yes... this "thread" received plenty of attention. My first three garnered
relatively little. But then, when it comes to helping someone with a
Microsoft Windows 98 second edition and a Microsoft Outlook 2002 in a
Microsoft Office XP package, it seems that few - if any - Microsoft MVP's
know how to help a person to fix the thing. Many MVP's know how to appear
and state.... what ?

My sincere thanks do go forth to both Diane Poremsky (MS-MVP) and to Jocelyn
Fiorello (not an MS-MVP), for they did genuinely try to help.

*very truly and sincerely* - and not with any ill will towards you, Milly
Staples.
Roxana

<With a degree of trepidation,,,,, Click.... Send>

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Roxana asked:

| Sorry, but none of the below apply, But then, you probably never saw
| my first posts.
|
| Subject: "customize" freezes - Outlook 2002
| Monday, October 08, 2007 11:33 PM
| Outlook. General newsgroup
| |
| Three days later:
|
| Subject: repost: "customize" freezes - Outlook 2002
| Thursday, October 11, 2007 11:15 PM
| Outlook.General newsgroup
| |
| Three days following:
| Subject:"Customize" Outlook Freezes
| Sunday, October 14, 2007 4:32 PM
| Outlook newsgroup
| |
> [...]
|| great enthusiasm and care and *expertise* (not some boilerplate /
|| guessing game answer) which didn't stop until a solution was arrived
|| at. That makes it quite *unlike* these Outlook newsgroups.
|| Addressing those who've placed fingers to keyboard to help me, I
|| thank you. However, - with some regret - I must sincerely say that
|| said help has been less than satisfactory. On the other hand, I count
|| my blessing... at least my post wasn't totally lost or *entirely*
|| ignored. (Only partially ignored, and only 9 days in the making to
|| conclusively realize that no *real* help will be forthcoming. lol)
|| To those of you with problems with Outlook, I wish you well and
|| advise thus: If you're in need of any help, I hope time isn't of the
|| essence. This newsgroup is a place which cries out to the
|| adventuresome: "Good luck... and be patient !" <-- You'll need both

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

No trepidation needed (off work tomorrow and battling imponderable insomnia) - your thoughts are received in the vein they are offerred. As respected as are mine.

--
> [...]

| Outlook 2002 in a Microsoft Office XP package, it seems that few - if
| any - Microsoft MVP's know how to help a person to fix the thing.
| Many MVP's know how to appear and state.... what ?
|
| My sincere thanks do go forth to both Diane Poremsky (MS-MVP) and to
| Jocelyn Fiorello (not an MS-MVP), for they did genuinely try to help.
|
| *very truly and sincerely* - and not with any ill will towards you,
| Milly Staples.
| Roxana
|
| <With a degree of trepidation,,,,, Click.... Send>
|
| --
| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|
| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
| unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
| reading.
|
| After furious head scratching, Roxana asked:
|
|| Sorry, but none of the below apply, But then, you probably never saw
|| ||
|| Three days later:
|| Subject: repost: "customize" freezes - Outlook 2002
|| Thursday, October 11, 2007 11:15 PM
|| Outlook.General newsgroup
|| ||
|| Three days following:
|| Subject:"Customize" Outlook Freezes
|| Sunday, October 14, 2007 4:32 PM
|| Outlook newsgroup
|| ||
> [...]
||| great enthusiasm and care and *expertise* (not some boilerplate /
||| guessing game answer) which didn't stop until a solution was arrived
||| at. That makes it quite *unlike* these Outlook newsgroups.
||| Addressing those who've placed fingers to keyboard to help me, I
||| thank you. However, - with some regret - I must sincerely say that
||| said help has been less than satisfactory. On the other hand, I
||| count my blessing... at least my post wasn't totally lost or
||| *entirely* ignored. (Only partially ignored, and only 9 days in the
||| making to conclusively realize that no *real* help will be
||| forthcoming. lol)
||| To those of you with problems with Outlook, I wish you well and
||| advise thus: If you're in need of any help, I hope time isn't of the
||| essence. This newsgroup is a place which cries out to the
||| adventuresome: "Good luck... and be patient !" <-- You'll need both

Brian Tillman

Roxana said:
I'd hardly see it fit to condemn me for a post of "complaint" which
was made 9 days+ after a modicum of replies - which also had my own
return questions posed to them (unanswered) were made.

And if you had spent only one or two days, hell, even two hours, in Google
Groups, EVERY SINGLE suggestion you've now received would have been evident
to you, since EVERY SINGLE suggestion you've received so far has been posted
NUMEROUS times in these Outlook newsgroups, since they're the most likely
solutions. It's really not our jobs to do your due dilgence for you.

In short, there is NEVER justification for complaining about the service you
receive from a newgroup, period.