A7V133 and Thunderbird CPU

Peter Hayes

I have an A7V133 m/b Rev 1.05 and it ran a 1.333GHz Thunderbird CPU
satisfactorily, bios 1005.

I upgraded the CPU to a Barton 2500+ and to make it work I upgraded the
Bios to 1010.

I now have an A7N8X-X m/b for the Barton CPU and I want to put the
T'bird back in the A7V133, but when I do so nothing happens, no display,
no boot beep, nothing.

The T'bird CPU works fine in the A7N8X m/b, so I haven't fried it and
I've set everything in the A7V133 m/b to run it as slow as possible,
500MHz, but still nothing.

According to web searches the T'bird should run under the new bios, and
I'm reluctant to flash it back to 1005 in case it still doesn't work and
of course I can't then run the Barton to flash it back to 1010...

Any ideas?

Eric P.

It's long ago, over three year, I was fiddling with the CPU on the two
A7V133's I had originally.

One thing that I remember is that I had to select 12*100MHz for the
Athlon 1.2GHz (and seperately 133MHz for memory) I had on my version
1.04 A7V133.
That motherboard died autumn last year and the CPU I gave away.

Another thing, a lower Vcore for the Athlon XP 1800+ I installed later

Peter Hayes

Eric P. said:
It's long ago, over three year, I was fiddling with the CPU on the two
A7V133's I had originally.

One thing that I remember is that I had to select 12*100MHz for the
Athlon 1.2GHz (and seperately 133MHz for memory) I had on my version
1.04 A7V133.
That motherboard died autumn last year and the CPU I gave away.

Another thing, a lower Vcore for the Athlon XP 1800+ I installed later
on my version 1.05 A7V133.

That's what I had wrong - too low a Vcore. I set it to 1.75v on the
jumpers and it now boots up fine. Evidently in 'auto' mode it wasn't
picking up the changed CPU.

Thanks for the useful hint.

Peter

MalcolmSKLS

That's what I had wrong - too low a Vcore. I set it to 1.75v on the
jumpers and it now boots up fine. Evidently in 'auto' mode it wasn't
picking up the changed CPU.

Thanks for the useful hint.

Peter

I'm interested in where you got Bios Ver 1010 from. Asus website list
the most up to date Bios for this motherboard as Ver 1008.
Thanks, Malcolm

Peter Hayes

MalcolmSKLS said:
(e-mail address removed) (Peter Hayes) wrote in message

I'm interested in where you got Bios Ver 1010 from. Asus website list
the most up to date Bios for this motherboard as Ver 1008.
Thanks, Malcolm

My mistake, the Bios versions should have been 1004 and 1009, I was
writing from memory. I see Eric's sorted it anyway... :)