A slightly off topic request

Laurel

Can anyone tell me, a non-AOL user, where I can find a newsgroup to ask a
question about AOL instant messaging? I'm sorry to take up this space, but
I don't know about any other news servers except this one and Powersoft and
don't know how to find out about them.

Pushing the envelope just a little - here's my problem.

My granddaughter was using AOL instant messaging, and her father saw
that the logon diaologue box had a very worrisome default username. My
granddaughter swore that she wasn't responsible - she said somebody else who
knew her password must have created taht user name. Several of her friends
new it. My question is this. Is the default username that is displayed the
last one used by the particular AOL account, or is it machine specific? In
other words, of no one else could have used the machine it showed up on, do
we know for sure that my granddaugther was using ths username.

Thanks for your understanding.

David Candy

A 12 yo I know - all her contacts have names like "JoHnSaIdHeWaNtStOf*cKmE. We weren't like that at 12.

Leythos

[...]

The last user to login to AOL IM is the one shown, there is NO default
user account to start with. Each user creates their own nick-name and no
other REMOTE user can change it. Anyone with access to the computer,
logged in when you GD was using AOL IM, could change things for her, but
unless they had access while she was logged in it's unlikely.

Laurel

Have you ever tried to find a phone number for an organization that size if
you don't run the product?

Laurel

Thanks!

Leythos said:
The last user to login to AOL IM is the one shown, there is NO default
user account to start with. Each user creates their own nick-name and no
other REMOTE user can change it. Anyone with access to the computer,
logged in when you GD was using AOL IM, could change things for her, but
unless they had access while she was logged in it's unlikely.

Laurel

Thanks for giving this a little bit of perspective. ;-/ (rueful smile)

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
A 12 yo I know - all her contacts have names like "JoHnSaIdHeWaNtStOf*cKmE.
We weren't like that at 12.

Malke

1411 said:
Why don't you just call AOL instead of posting off-topic?

It was fine for her to post here. There were people who knew the answer.
She was polite about it being OT, which is more than I can say for you.

Laurel, I'm sorry but although your granddaughter was clever enough to
come back with a quick answer hoping that you and her Dad wouldn't know
enough so you might believe her (kids, right?), she was lying. Time for
a parental unit chat.

Sympathies,

Malke

Laurel

thanks

--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Kelly

Hi Laurel,

I hear your concern. However, she is liable for the user name chosen.
Other than that, may I suggest checking her profile. It may be even worse.
That said, I have teens in the house and have five systems running 24/7.
Which four of them use AIM and Yahoo. While the call names could be
harmless......
there are third party tracking services to be used. In my case, this has
never been needed. Good luck with your grand-daughter, Laurel. :blush:)

--
Happy Mardi Gras,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Pop

1411 said:
Why don't you just call AOL instead of posting off-topic?

Why do YOU bother to read OT posts when the header SAYS it's off topic?

Stupid is as stupid does.