A service in starting state and Windows logon process

sandiyan

We have a situation where a third party service(set to autostart)
takes about good 15-20 min to start up on reboot.
During this time(while the service is in starting state), Windows will
display 'Applying computer setting' and will not bring logon
prompt(Ctrl+Alt+Delete screen).
As soon as this service goes into started state, the prompt is
available.

- Is this a Windows behaviour to stop displaying logon prompt untill
all services that are supposed to start have either started or failed.

- If it is not, can we configure group policy etc to logon to the
machine without waiting for services t start up...

Setting this service to manual start works fine - i.e. get logon
prompt straight away...

Thanks,
Sandiyan.

Buz [MSFT]

I don't know why your service takes so long to start or how it ties into
Windows starting slowly. However instead of starting this service through
the Services interface (via the registry key that states Automatic, Boot
etc..) perhaps you can put a .bat file in the Startup folder with "Net Start
ServiceName" that way the Explorer interface is already up and running....

Buz Brodin
MCSE NT4 / Win2K
Microsoft Enterprise Domain Support

newsgroup purposes only.

sandiyan

Thanks for the info Buz.
This service, on startup connects to an Orcale server and downloads
data into its SQL server database - it may take a max of 15 mins.

Development have looked into it and said that its Windows behaving
this way and not the application - i.e. Windows waits for all services
to get started/failed before user can logon and control the machine.
How can I clarify this...?

Thanks,
Sandiyan.

Buz [MSFT]

You are correct Windows does wait for services to get started/failed before
user can logon and control the machine. I have been looking and I do not see
a way to change this behaviour in Windows, hopefully you will get some more
info from the other groups.

"Buz [MSFT]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
I don't know why your service takes so long to start or how it ties into
Windows starting slowly. However instead of starting this service through
the Services interface (via the registry key that states Automatic, Boot
etc..) perhaps you can put a .bat file in the Startup folder with "Net Start
ServiceName" that way the Explorer interface is already up and running....

Buz Brodin
MCSE NT4 / Win2K
Microsoft Enterprise Domain Support

Jerold Schulman

We have a situation where a third party service(set to autostart)
takes about good 15-20 min to start up on reboot.
During this time(while the service is in starting state), Windows will
display 'Applying computer setting' and will not bring logon
prompt(Ctrl+Alt+Delete screen).
As soon as this service goes into started state, the prompt is
available.

- Is this a Windows behaviour to stop displaying logon prompt untill
all services that are supposed to start have either started or failed.

- If it is not, can we configure group policy etc to logon to the
machine without waiting for services t start up...

Setting this service to manual start works fine - i.e. get logon
prompt straight away...

Thanks,
Sandiyan.

You could:

1. Set the service to manual.
2. Use the Task Schedule to run a batch "when the system starts". Run the batch
using an administrotor account that is set up for scheduling only, whose
password never expires, and is never used to log on manually.
3. In the batch, issue a net start "service display name" or
net start servicename.

No one will see this batch run since it will run in thw background.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com