A quiet PSU

Reaction score
Want less noise from my system, the PSU is making most of it, any ideas for a powerful, (very) quiet, but reasonably priced PSU?

Cheers

Kenny

Also, any hints for good AMD HSF units, whats the Thermaltake Cool Tower like??? :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Antec Truepower series is very quiet, although there are PSU's dedicated to qietness on the market, but they tend to be expensive.

Thermalright SLK-900, SLK-800 or SP97 are all good for AMD CPU's.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
There is a fanless PSU, so in theory its 100% silent! But it only goes upto 300w, so i dont know if you'd be intrested maybe?

If so have a look at www.coolercases.co.uk , they are extremely reliable, friendly and helpful.

Reaction score
you might look at the X-pro 400w PSU - has all the goodies. Think it's going to be pretty quiet as only has 1x 120mm fan so low rpm...heres the spec.

- 12cm Blue-LED Cooling Fan Doubles Airflow with Half the RPM & Noise.
- Ultra Ventilation (Honey Comb Structure) Maximize Ventilation & Minimize Air Resistance. - Serial ATA HDD power connector
- 8x gold-plated connector for 5.25" device + 2x gold-plated connector for 3.5" device
- PFC Environment Friendly Technology improves Energy Utilization to cut your Electric Bill in Half.
- Cable Management Kit makes your PC Tidy & Neat and Smoothes Airflow to improve Cooling.
- Anti-Corrosive Titanium-plated casing
- Over Voltage Protection
- Short Circuit Protection
- 100% Full Load Burn-In

si-xpr400psu.jpg

£43.48 including VAT from Novatech.co.uk. Theres also a 460w version retailing at £55.23.

hope this helps, Chris

Reaction score
Hey! how is goin? thanks for the tip. Have seen the X-pro stuff on `sites, but had never heard of them before. Always wary of companies I`ve never heard of.... heh heh. U may just have tilted the balance in X-pros favour tho....

:) Cheers

kenny

P.S. Still not bought a Mobo, but have been eyeing an Asus A7V8X-X..... Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Well i have never heard of X-Pro either BUT it has all the qualities of a say Antec PSU and i read a review written by a guy who bought one and he said that it was of extremely good build quality.

I think i will get one for my next system - i like the cable managment stuff.

Whats your budget on a motherboard - i'll have a scout round a few sites see whats going.

Reaction score
Hey. (again) its not that I aint got the time to look for a mobo myself, its just that I dont really know much about them. It`s the multiplier and AGP lock that i`m looking for, on a stable board that dont cost much. My budget is... realistically as little as possible because I`m a destitute student.... :p

As for an X-pro PSU, If you`re willing to buy one for yourself, recommendations (sp?) don`t come much higher than that!

Reaction score
As for an X-pro PSU, If you`re willing to buy one for yourself, recommendations (sp?) don`t come much higher than that!
The way i look at it is... If it has all the funky voltage protections and Active PFC then its got to be better than your average generic. I have used 420w (very) generic supplies in 3.0GHz P4 systems, XP2500+ systems perectly fine so this one can ONLY do the job better! I would definatly use one because of the features it boasts - the features are pretty much the same as my Antec Tru power 400w and that works flawlessly...

Hey. (again) its not that I aint got the time to look for a mobo myself, its just that I dont really know much about them. It`s the multiplier and AGP lock that i`m looking for, on a stable board that dont cost much. My budget is... realistically as little as possible because I`m a destitute student.... :p
Its not that i meant you did not have the time - i was just going to have a look around and see what the best board you can get is for your money although i guess some of that would be down to opinion. For AMD i would reccomend anything from a good company (Abit, Asus, Gigabyte, Diamond Flower International [DFI]) and that utilises an N-Force2 Chipset.

One i was looking at for my friend earlier was the "DFI Infinity N-Force2" - aparently its as stable as a house... I would assume as standard you get the AGP/PCI lock - even the cheaper Abit KV7 has that and it also has the multiplier option. KV7 uses some VIA chip though.

The DFI board is about £61 inc vat...

some other options are the Abit AN7 and also the Abit NF7-S...

need a budget to work with though!

Reaction score
I`ll say... £50. It`s a pretty pathetic budget, but i`m on the somerfield `makes sense` beans and the cheap imitation jack Daniels to get that far!!!

Thanks for helpin me out tho!

Reaction score
i like the look of the X-pro better :D but if the enhance fits your budget thn so be it - im sure it would do ya fine.

will have a look see what you can get for £50 - that have to include delivery?

Reaction score
I`ll push the boat out and say that I can afford separate delivery!!!

Reaction score
haha lol

well the KV7 has everything that you need but i dont think the via chipset is as fast as the N-Force 2...

if you are happy with that its cool. Has all your funky features (USB2, LAN, Sound, SATA etc etc)

Reaction score
Was on ebuyer and saw super flower PSU`s. A few owner comments that the quadruple fan models take up to 8 degrees off their CPU. That might be a good compromise for me seein as i`m lookin to cool my CPU a bit more... kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Well... 1 and a half. 4 fans cant be that quiet.....

:) will check out the KV7 and if I buy it, i`ll buy u a pint should we ever meet.

Reaction score
a pint? just 1 pint? im suck a keen fan on quiet pc's ive got an Enermax psu its brill. v v silent cant even tell that the pc is on!

let us know if the fans ne good, so that we could all invest in this little beauty.

Reaction score
make that an orange/tomato/pineapple juice... cant stand the beer and besides not legally allowed to drink in pubs for year and a half ;)

Reaction score
dont know if it matters to you, the KV7 has no dual channel memory support.

good lil board though, am RMA'ing my nans tomorrow.

Reaction score
Then i think you would find the KV7 is quite suitable for your needs. Beware its a little tricky to set up a single SATA drive though, have to download the driver from Asus's site as it happens!! works like a treat once its going though.

Reaction score
I was lookin at reviews and pics of the KV7. its "alternative" dimensions make me worry a wee bit. Have you got one? Is it as awkward to connect/ disconnect cables as it looks? S-ATA is something i`ve still to discover. i`m maybe more into mass storage than small, high-speed access disks. maybe one day i`ll see what the big deal is....

Ask a Question