a new pc

Reaction score
Hey :wave: everyone, im sure you get lots of posts like this, asking whats the best computer to get etc. I dont know much about computers myself but i have a vague idea about some of the spec, im looking to buy a new computer for around 350-400 pounds i know its quite a tight budget.

I'm mostly going to use it to play games, so it being able to run them fast is essential. I'v done some research and found some possible options but im still very unsure.

http://www.arbico.co.uk/Arbico-Performance-Athlon-64-Custom-Built-Computer-p-17352.html

heres one i found which i think is good, but theres no real description, so i have no idea if it includes a monitor.. and usb slots etc, and i really dont wanna make a mistake buying something without key components.

Hope i posted this thread in the right place, thanks. :)

Reaction score
My honest opinion, Don't waiste your money on that machine...£306 is a lot of money, factor into that you still need to install an operating system..Depending on what you want can cost from £100 to £500.And then again a lot of games are still not Vista ready..Then you are also having to look at a monitor..Pretty pricey to, 2nd hand you could be looking at £80 for a 19" TFT...new and they go into the hudreds...Why not get yourself online and have a look at DELL and look at some of their machines, you could pic up better spec for less than what you are going to pay for what you have already looked at, plus Dell come with good warreny and customer support

Reaction score
I just had a look at that link..Yes I agree component for component they are cheaper than Dell, but in my experience the support Dell offer, I have yet to come across anybody that can math theirs...And invaiably when building a high spec machine they go wrong at some point...So spending a few more £££'s would be the better.Just my opinion though..How big is your Bravia..? A friend uses his, I think it is 32inch and is absolutley awesome for gaming and home entertainment...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
franciscade said:
i'd use my bravia as a monitor, and i'd get it with xp not vista. i'v also found this which i think is quite good. obviously i can customise that to get much better performance.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/syscon_int.php?prodid=FS-054-OK

theres no way im getting a dell.. trust me they're too overpriced for the spec =\

and also i'd get laughed at by my friends for having a dell :(

That pc you linked to has onboard graphics which would be pants for gaming .

This is better ,

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-036-OK&groupid=43&catid=1080&subcat=

But this is a serious pc for very little money .

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-080-OK

happywave.gif

Reaction score
I like the second one, might have to have a little tour of that site, not yet been on it, and that is a pretty decent price I must admit...

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
That pc you linked to has onboard graphics which would be pants for gaming .
happywave.gif

Read my post fully :p of course i wouldnt just stick with the on board graphics ! theres lots of customization options there, and i would have chosen the nvidia and a better processor.. along with some other stuff too.

And my max price is 400 :p the first is waaaaaay out my league

the second is good though :) but i still think after customising the one i shows would be cheaper and probably better.
nod.gif

Also my bravia is 26", thats in my room, but i have a 32 downstairs :p

Reaction score
Can I have the 32" then...? LOL

And sorry to say, but mates that laugh are normally mates that are jealous.....My mates laugh because I drive a mini, they shut up though when my 2008 Yamaha R1 comes out the garage though....

As for reading your message fully, sorry my fault I suffer with color blindness and strugle sometimes...

Reaction score
the comment wasnt aimed at you :p, just Abarbarian saying about integrated graphics.

and no.. its just a thing between most of my friends.. they hate dells *shrugs*

and yeah, ill just put the 32 in the post :p

Reaction score
I'll wait by the door for the postman, hope you're covering the postage....Yeah I have a few things that mates are like that with me...lol specially the football team I support.....

Not to worry, I figured it wasn't aimed at me once I read through them again, I wouldn't have taken offence anyway...I make the biggest jokes about my sight myself..

Reaction score
and i have a computer shop nearly next door to my house, small place, always keen to help out. But parts are expensive there as its only a small business, thats why im buying online.

so theres no need for much support from the place i bought the parts. only a garentee < how do you spell that :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Onboard graphics are pants, that be the sorry truth :)

So Abarbarian be correct.

That Primo Vantage is ok for the money but if you're serious about gaming, forget it.

The 8600GT really is not a very good video card, I don't know why but it never cut the mustard for some reason.

And if we're talking gaming the word 'Dell' shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

What, exactly, do you need to buy?

I realise the tower unit and I see you have a monitor. And you also need to buy Windows.

Keyboard, mouse, speakers?

And you have a budget of £400.00 and you want to game?

Hmm, sort of possible I suppose as long as you don't want to run Crysis or Assassin's Creed or the like.

Reaction score
I've known a few people buy online and have machines breakdown on them, and get nothing but bad support...LOL you're asking the wrong person for spelling lessons, I can barely spell my name at times, but I think it migh be something like "guaranty" who knows

Reaction score
:p, to awnser your questions, no i dont need speakers mouse or keyboard, i have them already, all i need is a good pc for gaming with an OS.. xp is 1st option :)

Reaction score
XP been the better choice by far...My laptop has been reformatted to XP and so has my girlfriends and a few other people I know....

Little note for anybody that reads this VISTA is crap, but if you like the way VISTA looks and want it on your XP machine, then go to this site<a href="http://www.crystalxp.net/bricopack/">crystalxp.net</a> and install VISTA INSPIRAT 2...It will modify your XP files to make it look the same as Vista..It is that good I had a friend of mine who swares by Vista using my machine and didn't even know he was using XP...And no he's not thick...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
I've known a few people buy online and have machines breakdown on them, and get nothing but bad support...LOL you're asking the wrong person for spelling lessons, I can barely spell my name at times, but I think it migh be something like "guaranty" who knows

Now just hang on...

You said 'when building a high spec machine' originally.

And now you're saying 'buy online' which I would assume you mean buying a ready built machine.

So which is it?

Myself and many others have been buying components for years and building machines with no probs at all.

Vista is not crap, in my opinion.

It's easy to knock, I agree and I'm not 100% convinced myself, see my numerous posts on the subject on this very forum.

That Vista emulation program actually contains a very subtle malware program that doesn't make itself known for a while, I know, I tried it. Looked great for a few weeks then I ended up doing a fresh install.

I know several peeps who have uninstalled Vista on new machines and loaded XP.

I actually quite like both OS's but as I've said before I think MS peaked with XP, it did, after all, last for seven years.

franciscade :p I'll have a search tomorrow for a tower unit for you but you :p is pushing the boat out if you want to game for four hundred quid. Maybe consider a console ;) j/k

Hey :p it's late :p I'm tired and I feel I've reciprocated in kind using the :p smiley ;)

Ask a Question