Excel A CountIF question... I think

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to use some of the more complex formulas, to make things easier on myself.

I have a workbook, with 4 sheets. The first 3 are data, and the 4th is a merging of the first 3. The teams will be making changes to Columns H, I, & J on the first 3 sheets. Right now, all 4 sheets have identical information.

So far, on sheet 4, I have added 2 additional columns for each corresponding column on the first 3. Column G collects from Sheet 1 G2, Column H from Sheet 2, G2 and Column I, G2 from Sheet 3. Same with J, K, L (from H2) Same with N,O,P (collecting from I2)

The ONLY reason it is like this, is in case the same exact item is counted in a second place. (I need to see if that happens.)

So - here is the question: I would like Sheet 4 Column M to tell me how many marks are in G2:L2, but because there are formulas in those cells, it counts the formulas. What do I do instead?

If you have ideas for making this easier, I'm all for ideas! :)

Thank you!
Excel Question.JPG

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

If I'm understanding you correctly, you could try using the COUNTA formula instead of COUNTIF. It counts the number of non-blank cells in a range, which might work well for you here.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Becky,
Thank you for the welcome! And thank you for the suggestion! The COUNTA worked in both the column I was referring to, but in a second one, as well. Thank you again!

Ask a Question