A case of virtual beer in exchnage for print info!

Armin Zingler

Am 25.01.2011 17:23, schrieb Cor:
Not that I like Crystal Reports, be aware Crystal reports was not free with
VB6 and is neither with any newer version.

I'm not sure.... ah, now I remember: You are right, there was only the
"report designer" to be used inside the IDE, but there was no separate
CR application.

Nobody

Armin Zingler said:
Am 25.01.2011 17:23, schrieb Cor:

I'm not sure.... ah, now I remember: You are right, there was only the
"report designer" to be used inside the IDE, but there was no separate
CR application.

Crystal Reports was included freely with VB6, but wasn't installed by
default, you had to install it from the CD:

How to install Crystal Reports for use in Visual Basic 6.0
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193336

StrandElectric

Armin Zingler said:
Am 25.01.2011 17:23, schrieb Cor:

I'm not sure.... ah, now I remember: You are right, there was only the
"report designer" to be used inside the IDE, but there was no separate
CR application.

Vb6 itself had very sensible and effective report writing facilities. I know
as I'm using mine frequently in my big accounting suite that I develped in
vb6. It did not need crystal reports. If the next framework does indeed
remove all traces of vb6 compatibility, leaving us with vb.net's abysmal
print 'facility' then there is no point in my continuing to try to learn
vb.net. It's a pity, but it seems to me that the design team are in another
world.

Tom Shelton

Cor wrote :
Jason,

Not so clever to add the compatibility vb6 namespace, I've seen that it is
(was) still can be used in Framework 4 is it at the end of its lifetime.

Cor

Yes, the Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatability - but this is the printing
part of the VisualBasic powerpack... Not quite the same thing.

Armin Zingler

Am 25.01.2011 19:12, schrieb StrandElectric:
Vb6 itself had very sensible and effective report writing facilities. I know
as I'm using mine frequently in my big accounting suite that I develped in
vb6. It did not need crystal reports. If the next framework does indeed
remove all traces of vb6 compatibility, leaving us with vb.net's abysmal
print 'facility' then there is no point in my continuing to try to learn
vb.net. It's a pity, but it seems to me that the design team are in another
world.

I was referring to VS 2003 Professional and VS 2008 Professional, but
I deleted the sentence before. Hence the remaining sentence was out of
context. My fault.

Armin Zingler

Am 25.01.2011 18:21, schrieb Nobody:
Crystal Reports was included freely with VB6, but wasn't installed by
default, you had to install it from the CD:

How to install Crystal Reports for use in Visual Basic 6.0
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193336

Sorry, I deleted a sentence before that was referring to VS 2003 Professional
and VS 2008 Professional. Therefore the misunderstanding. My fault.

Armin Zingler

Am 25.01.2011 19:47, schrieb Armin Zingler:
I was referring to VS 2003 Professional and VS 2008 Professional, but
I deleted the sentence before. Hence the remaining sentence was out of
context. My fault.

Oh, I see you didn't refer to my reply at all. In that case, just ignore
my last one.

Armin Zingler

Vb6 itself had very sensible and effective report writing facilities. I know
It's mainly drawing on a Graphics object.
Have you followed Jason's suggestions about the VB PowerPacks?

StrandElectric

Armin Zingler said:
It's mainly drawing on a Graphics object.
Have you followed Jason's suggestions about the VB PowerPacks?

I was about to try that today. It seems most practical faling proper
printing support in vb.net. However, posts just now appear to be
forecasting that the ability to use vb power packs will disappear with new
versions of the framework, hence my effort to produce an exe that will
continue to work. If future support is unlikely, it seems wrong to waste any
more time on this. If you fellows believe that power packs will cotniue to
work, then I'll have a go!

Tom Shelton

StrandElectric presented the following explanation :
I was about to try that today. It seems most practical faling proper printing
support in vb.net. However, posts just now appear to be forecasting that the
ability to use vb power packs will disappear with new versions of the
framework, hence my effort to produce an exe that will continue to work. If
future support is unlikely, it seems wrong to waste any more time on this. If
you fellows believe that power packs will cotniue to work, then I'll have a
go!

No... I think Cor saw Compatability in the name and thought
Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatability. That was dropped with VS2010.
The powerpack is still there and usable (AFIK - since I don't use it)

Armin Zingler

Am 25.01.2011 19:59, schrieb StrandElectric:
I was about to try that today. It seems most practical faling proper
printing support in vb.net. However, posts just now appear to be
forecasting that the ability to use vb power packs will disappear with new
versions of the framework, hence my effort to produce an exe that will
continue to work. If future support is unlikely, it seems wrong to waste any
more time on this. If you fellows believe that power packs will cotniue to
work, then I'll have a go!

If you don't delete it, it will still work in future.

Nobody

StrandElectric said:
I definitely want to be able to code portrait or landscape according to
the (financial report) I want to print, like this psedo code at the start
of each report.

Like this pseudo code

Choose Printer.Orientation = Portrait

Press F2, then search for "Landscape", this should show you this property:

System.Drawing.Printing.PageSettings.Landscape

Cor

Then it is even less clever to import the compatibility namespace for that.

:)

Cor